Any Guitar Modders out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Guitar Modders out there?

So, I have discovered the joys...and frustrations, of guitar modding. Anybody else doing mods?

Guitar shielding? what did you use?

Pickup swaps? what and why?

Switch mods? Treble bleed?

C'mon fellas (and any of you ladies who mod)! Let's talk about it!

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

I've done some modding in the past. I don't particularly enjoy it, but I'm comfortable enough with soldering to not worry about screwing anything up. To answer your questions:

I've shielded a bunch of pedals, and I think a guitar, though I may be wrong about that one. If I did it was a while ago. I used a copper shielding with adhesive backing that I found online. I still have some left I think...

The pickup swap I did was switching out the bridge single coil in my old Carvin Bolt for a humbucker. I didn't really like the sound of the AP11 pickup I had, and decided that I wanted a humbucker.

On the same Carvin, I also switched out the default bridge pickup switch for a second tone knob, and wired it so the middle tone covered the neck pickup, and the new knob covered the bridge. I've also modded a 52 tele RI from vintage to modern wiring specs, did a complete wiring job on a tele I built in high school, plus switched out various knobs and switches for failing parts.

Comment

Nice!

I've done pickups, shielding, and a treble bleed on my '91 MIM Strat. I'm thinking about building...and selling...electric guitars.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
        Nice!

I've done pickups, shielding, and a treble bleed on my '91 MIM Strat. I'm thinking about building...and selling...electric guitars.

Smitty
        Explain the treble bleed. What do you do to accomplish it (cap, specail pot, switchable circiut, something I haven't heard of)? What were the symptoms you were trying to address and what were the results?
        I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Its not too hard to do...you solder another capacitor from the wiper on your volume pot (where the selector switch goe to volume) to the center wiper. The best method (my opinion) is to use a capacitor that is somewhere between a tenth to one half the value of your tone cap (on strats, .047). I may have those values messed up, I'm still learning about all this stuff. I used a .002 cap.

I did the mod because I don't like the way my tone would get all muddy sounding when I roll off volume. This is primarily an issue for single coil pickups.

The mod works. I think more single coil players ought to consider it, because I suspect that most guys who play with their volume pegged, do so because they don't like the "mud" as they back off of it.

Smitty

Comment

I have swapped out pickups on my PRS, and swapped pickups on our church MIM bass. I have also changed hardware and installed piezo pickups on several acoustics. It is fun to mess around with this stuff. I also built a BYOC pedal.

Comment

Very cool, Stephen! You are right...it IS fun to mess with this stuff. After I finish my "other" strat (custom body, rails, and custom switching), I'm going to build a Tele...and maybe let MITS take it for a test drive!

Smitty

Comment

Well, I guess since I built my Tele, that means that I have done some of the "mod" things listed. Shielding, wiring. Not really pickup swapping, but pickup installing, at least. Since I knew exactly what parts I wanted to have on my guitar, I had everything built to accept those parts. I've been happy with the instrument, ever since. Haven't needed to change, or mod. anything.

Comment

You built the perfect tele, huh? What pickups did you use? I'm trying to decide what I want to use in my tele project guitar, so your input would help.

Is 98338 anywhere near Graham, or Puyallup?

Smitty

Comment

I just completed my first mod.

Pretty simple, switched out pickups/pickguard, pots in a fat mex strat - with some Seymour Duncans - really happy about the changed, it sounds really really good, and pretty easy.

Comment

I am always swapping out pickups and stuff like that. There are so many great pups to try, and if you know the right stuff you can get some amazing pups for cheap!

GFS is amazing!!

We have installed the Mean 90, humbucker sized P90's into my semi hollow Sheraton, making one great church guitar. Installed there smoking hot "Crunchy Rails" 16K passive pups on metl guitars. And recently, last week, installed there Crunchy PAF pups in the neck position of my Raven West LP copy, Now this guitar eally is top notch. With a Crunchy rails 16K in the bridge, the 10K PAF in the neck, this is the guitar of my favorite right now.
                      Here is a little clip of the Raven, on the bridge Crunchy Rails

Check it out!

Comment

I just swapped out my decent quality mylar tone cap for a Sprague "Orange Drop"...I like the tone...it's a bit different, but OMG why are the "Orange Drops" so honkin' BIG? I wasn't sure I was going to get it to fit under the pickguard!

Smitty

Comment

GP...I'm a huge fan of GFS as well. I buy almost all my parts from them. Top notch quality, great prices, fast shipping, and superior customer service.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
                            So, I have discovered the joys...and frustrations, of guitar modding. Anybody else doing mods?

Guitar shielding? what did you use?

Pickup swaps? what and why?

Switch mods? Treble bleed?

C'mon fellas (and any of you ladies who mod)! Let's talk about it!

Smitty
                            Don't know if you'll be interested but last year I bought a MIM tele for my daughter for her birthday and was impressed with the new design. I immedeatly bought another for myself and I play it through a Marshall tube amp. I was noticing the hum from the single coils was really pronounced through the amp besides sounding thin in the church setting. I went exploring and found that under the pick gaurd was routing for a full size humbucker. I couldn't resist and bought a Seymour Duncan 59 humbucker and installed it keeping the 250 K pots. The hum was gone and thinness was also gone. It made me very happy so I went further and got another SD for the bridge that only had the single coil routing. A single blade stacked humbucker. It really increased the mids but kept most of the tele twang and again no hum.

My daughter was so impressed with it she had me do the same thing to her Tele with opting for the hot rails in the bridge (kids).

Does this count as modding?

Comment

Oh yeah that counts bro. I love the hot rails in the bridge. How does it sound in a tele?

Comment

Working...
                              X