!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone seen the new Pearl E-Pro Drums? Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen the new Pearl E-Pro Drums? Thoughts?

I just caught this video from Sweetwater on YouTube. These things look really cool:

YouTube - Pearl E-Pro Live Acoustic/Electric Kit Winter NAMM 2010 Demo

I lead worship in a smaller church (seats 300ish) and I"m a big proponent of electric drums. Of course there are tradeoffs and we can argue that in a different thread, but these things look like they'll revolutionize the electric drum market.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Originally posted by e.andersen View Post
    I just caught this video from Sweetwater on YouTube. These things look really cool:

YouTube - Pearl E-Pro Live Acoustic/Electric Kit Winter NAMM 2010 Demo

I lead worship in a smaller church (seats 300ish) and I"m a big proponent of electric drums. Of course there are tradeoffs and we can argue that in a different thread, but these things look like they'll revolutionize the electric drum market.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Actually those trade-offs were argued in a different thread, and I hijacked it to talk about the Pearls.

They look interesting, priced right (compare favorably to say a Roland TD-20). I did some reading into them and learned the brain is an Alesis DM10 with Smartrigger cymbals (licensed by Alesis as well and branded Surge). Started finding folks who had faults with the technologies...do a search on these items and you'll see. If I recall correctly main beefs were single-trigger hi-hat and no touch sensitivity on the rim triggers.

Certainly worth a look-see when they show up at the local Guitar Center. I'm interested in hearing the playing volume as well. Our main drummer has a TD-20 set he brings in sometimes and you can hear loud slaps against the V-Drums on occasion. Or, at least I can, being a drummer.

Also interested in knowing what the new Yamaha DTX 900 is costing (and what those new Textured Cellular Silicone (TCS) heads feel/sound like). Our worship leader is trying to scrape together the $$ to get the church an electronic kit (we use the main drummer's acoustic and electronic kit in our church, about the same size as yours). He's looking TD-20 now (as it's a known quantity)...

Comment

I watched the video - they look and sound really good.
      The module looks a bit small and harder to use than the Roland or Yamaha modules (top-end ones).
      It seems the hi-hat is a regular fixed pad with separate foot controller. The moving (up-down) hi-hats are really important for good feel, I think.

I'm looking at our church getting a Yamah DTXtreme III (previous flagship before the new ones just came out). Pricing is available for the DTX900/950 - check out the major online guys.
      Last edited by lindsayward; 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lindsayward View Post
        I'm looking at our church getting a Yamah DTXtreme III.
        That's what we've got... we love them. I agree that the fixed hi-hat pad is a big drawback.
        Eric Frisch
        www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

I've been real curious about the ePro's too. Our current drummer plays his own set of Roland TD-20's which are awesome. However he's taken a new job and will be moving in about a month. So I've been shopping e-drums (don't think I have the budget to get another set of TD-20's). The ePro's look great and from everything I've read they're supposed to have a great feel. I am disappointed that they just rebranded the module and cymbals from the Alesis DM-10 (which has gotten quite a few negative reviews).

Like Dan said, whenever they get them in stock I'll make a trip to guitar center and check 'em out for myself. Although I'm pretty partial to Rolands so I'll probably end up getting either a TD-9sx or TD-12.

Comment

Yes I played on a set a couple of weeks ago at the NAMM Show. I watched the rep demo it and it did sound impressive. After playing on them it was really a let down at how they felt. Triggering was a big issue. Soft buzz rolls didn't get picked up the way I would have liked it to. The heads soooo did not feel like real heads. Honestly practice pads feel better than what they did. Really spongey and lacked response. I wasnt the only one walking away shaking my head. Quite a few around me were too. I do love the concept of being able to use any sample you want, not just the included ones. You can dump the memory and fill it with your own be Steven Slate, Toon Tracks or what ever. Try that with a Roland. It really comes down to playing them and deciding if you like the way they feel. Plus 2 Kits in one isn't a bad deal either. For me, when it comes to e-drums, it's hard to beat Roland's kits.

Comment

Originally posted by drumstix View Post
              Yes I played on a set a couple of weeks ago at the NAMM Show. I watched the rep demo it and it did sound impressive. After playing on them it was really a let down at how they felt. Triggering was a big issue. Soft buzz rolls didn't get picked up the way I would have liked it to. The heads soooo did not feel like real heads. Honestly practice pads feel better than what they did. Really spongey and lacked response. I wasnt the only one walking away shaking my head. Quite a few around me were too. I do love the concept of being able to use any sample you want, not just the included ones. You can dump the memory and fill it with your own be Steven Slate, Toon Tracks or what ever. Try that with a Roland. It really comes down to playing them and deciding if you like the way they feel. Plus 2 Kits in one isn't a bad deal either. For me, when it comes to e-drums, it's hard to beat Roland's kits.
              I played the E-Pro's and fell in love with them. I traded in my old Roland TD-8 V-drums and purchased the set about a month ago. Initially I did have some trigger problems. The triggering issue is easily resolved when you study the manual and adjust the settings. I don't know why they come set up the way they do. While I admit they don't feel totally like real drums.......they are definitely closer to real drums than any other e-drums I've played. I play an older Yamaha set at church and, as mentioned above, had a set of Roland V-drums with mesh heads. I brought the new E-Pro Live set for a special service at church and everyone was blown away with how great they sounded. I'm enjoying this set and they are very easy to record with.

Comment

Working...
              X