No announcement yet.

Guitar "sounds" for worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I promise this is not a hijack, but for the guys using the Boss Acoustic Sim pedal-what do you think? I looked at the demos online and they (demos) were pretty lame so it was hard to tell.

For sounds-I lead the band, so I have to play the more meat and potatoes parts:

1. I pretty much always run my M9 with an analog slap set pretty dry (20-25%) to you can only hear it if you stop short (ie to hear it) and a 63 spring reverb with about 20-25% wet-dry as well. It thickens up the sound a little but isn't obvious unless you hit a hard palm mute or something.

2. With the above effects, I'll use either a compressed clean or a compressed light overdrive for my basic sounds. (BTW-I'd put the sound of my Route 66 with compressor and OD up against a stacked TS-9/OCD or the like any day)

3. For some songs that are a little heavier - ala Fee or Lincoln Brewster, I'll use a heavier OD or a Distortion with the gain at about 50%.

4. In the rare instance where I get to play, but don't need to drive the band, I like a compressed clean with slap, dotted eighth analog/mod delay into an analog quarter note delay - all a little more wet - for guitar 2 parts on songs like desert song, hosanna, etc.

...I'd love to figure out how to make a fuzz pedal sound appropriate in worship...

Comment

Originally posted by Gaetano Paul View Post
      My friend from Hillsong College said stacking overdrives is a necessity to get that full sound. Yet no one else here is stacking and combining overdrives? Maybe he was wrong?
      I stack a Barber LTD with a T-rex Alberta for my overdrive sounds. Both are set very low gain. I just bought a pigtronix PolySaturator which I'm going to try out for lead sounds.
      Please check out my Christmas Blog at www.12daysofjesus.blogspot.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Once Far Off View Post
        I promise this is not a hijack, but for the guys using the Boss Acoustic Sim pedal-what do you think? I looked at the demos online and they (demos) were pretty lame so it was hard to tell.
        Remember that its not going to sound like a taylor, martin, mcpherson, etc. its going to sound like a beginner or intermediate acoustic w/electronics like takamine eg series or ovation. Personally I don't mind the sound but it does take a while to find the right setting for the room you're in. I use an ac-2, the same thing as ac-3 but w/out the reverb built in. there is some noise that accompanies the pedal being on. over all it depends on what you expect to hear and whether you are willing to display on stage what does come from that sim pedal, and whether you want to spend time tweaking between dreadnought/jumbo/enhanced/piezo and all the body and top combos, or lugging around the acoustic.

Comment

The Acoustic sim pedals really aren't great - maybe passable for a background part. They don't come even close to a true acoustic sound.
          If you can afford one it's well worth bringing a real acoustic.

Or so is my opinion.
          Please check out my Christmas Blog at www.12daysofjesus.blogspot.co.nz

Comment

Hello all..

musicianinthestates
            All of these reply's are pretty spot on. Your new/recent set up for your pedals should work fine from a tone perspective.. and tuner is fine where it is.

I am a fan of "less is better". If you are trying to emulate youtube versions of songs for worship you can pretty much get through a set with an overdrive, heavier overdrive, volume pedal, delay and a trem/echo pedal (not in that order on your board). All of this along with some toggling between kneck and bridge pickups for tone change... and you should be golden.

You are most deff on the right track!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaetano Paul View Post
              My friend from Hillsong College said stacking overdrives is a necessity to get that full sound. Yet no one else here is stacking and combining overdrives? Maybe he was wrong?
              I think it is team spacific. When dialing in your guitar sound think of how it will sound with everything that goes on.

Comment

I stack my OD's.
                I use my amp so that at full guitar volume its slightly dirty... yet with my guitar volume rolled off slightly its clean. After this I use a TS-808 with Keely mod for my second stage of OD and then after that it goes to a Boss SD-1 with Keely Mod for full out OD.

All of these pedals fall after compression, clean boost, volume and tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by travisvwright View Post
                  I'm pretty similar to bbrunskill. I've got my amp set to a light crunch with the guitar volume at 3-4 that will roll to a pretty heavy crunch at 8-10. I also have a light short delay. Once the service starts my guitar volume knob is the only thing I adjust.

That is pretty much the technique I use. I set my amp up flat and also amp volume 50%. With that I can get thick low end distortion to clean treble hot enough to fry bacon with just the volume and tone controls on the guitar. Even with that the tone is team specific. We do what we can to set up a worship envirment.

Comment

Working...
                  X