Guitar "sounds" for worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar "sounds" for worship

There's been loads of threads about different pedals, fx units etc. but what sounds to people find most useful/used in a worship situation on an electric guitar? I use in order of frequency (highest first and all with reverb + compression):

1. Crunch
    2. Crunch + phaser or tremolo or rotary speaker
    3. Overdriven Lead
    4. Clean + chorus
    5. Crunch + wah
    6. Clean
    7. Acoustic simulator

Simon

Hey Simon!

I think it depends on style, but I typically just use clean and mild to medium crunchy both with a little echo. I change tones with pickups V and T knobs alot these days, my board right now is just tuner/drive/echo. If I were playing heavier music, or country, or playing in a more experimental band, I'd probably find other tones to use, but for what we do, I don't need that many options. I took my chorus off the board, and have never regularly used wah, comp, or phaser that I own. so I guess I'd have to say in order of frequency:

1. mild crunch, both HB p'ups on V 5-6, bridge T 5, neck T 10
    2. clean
    2a. neck p'up - T 0, warm and jazzy (current favorite); T 10, modern medium dark rock
    2b. bridge p'up - T 5, crisp but not brittle; T 10, sort of country twang
    3. medium crunch, both HB p'ups on V 10, same T as mild

Comment

I have a pretty versatile set of patches set up on my POD, but I really only use a few of them on a regular basis. My main bank of 4 patches is as follows:

- Atmospheric Clean (thin sound, lots of reverb/modulated delay)
      - Clean (slightly thicker sound, slight reverb and delay)
      - Crunch (with available boost)
      - Solo (same as crunch patch, just more gain and a slight volume boost)

What sounds are most useful varies on the band IMO. My band has a very full, almost atmospheric sound, so I tend to use the first two of the above patches almost exclusively. In other bands I've played with, I would have used the crunch and solo patches a lot more.
      Last edited by Drew B; 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simon View Post
        There's been loads of threads about different pedals, fx units etc. but what sounds to people find most useful/used in a worship situation on an electric guitar? I use in order of frequency (highest first and all with reverb + compression):

1. Crunch
        2. Crunch + phaser or tremolo or rotary speaker
        3. Overdriven Lead
        4. Clean + chorus
        5. Crunch + wah
        6. Clean
        7. Acoustic simulator

Simon
        Well, as I am primarily a sound tech who plays guitar as well, here's my opinion:

At home you can clearly hear the compression, the reverb, the crunch and phaser, and I bet it sounds wonderful.
        But in the band context, it can sound too busy. (I say 'can', I don't know your situation to judge!)
        Because now that complex guitar sound has to fit around the drums, bass, keyboards, probably a second guitar, and vocals ect.

So unless we are doing a guitar driven service or a smaller band, I simplify a bit - I only use a slightly dirty clean, a overdrive and two or three presets of tap tempo delay.
        Please check out my Christmas Blog at www.12daysofjesus.blogspot.co.nz

Comment

I know what you mean by a guitar sound being too much in a band setting, however with the sounds mentioned here I pretty much always palm damp with the crunch which helps tighten things up quite a lot. Also regarding the modulation effects I never strum with them on - always picking individual notes. Picking with the rotary speaker effect gives quite an amazing swimming/pulsating sound that works well with lots of common worship songs.

Comment

I'm pretty similar to bbrunskill. I've got my amp set to a light crunch with the guitar volume at 3-4 that will roll to a pretty heavy crunch at 8-10. I also have a light short delay. Once the service starts my guitar volume knob is the only thing I adjust.
            I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by simon View Post
              Also regarding the modulation effects I never strum with them on - always picking individual notes. Picking with the rotary speaker effect gives quite an amazing swimming/pulsating sound that works well with lots of common worship songs.
              Sounds good Simon. I really need to try a rotary effect, I love it when keyboard players use it on organ sounds.
              Please check out my Christmas Blog at www.12daysofjesus.blogspot.co.nz

Comment

A few delays stacked for fullness, whether from the amp and a pedal, or a few pedals that work well together.
                Analog type echo delay
                Digital delay
                volume pedal for swells of course
                oh yeah a tuner
                Most of this can come from a nice MFX unit.

I should use more modulation, I tried to use more phase one week, it went well but I was not thrilled. Whats a rotary speaker thing?
                Seems like the list above is the core I always use, maybe I should expand my box, I wanted to use some reverse delay, but with my MFX I have to choose between the digital delay, absolute necessity, or the reveerse delay, not necessary.
                Last edited by Gaetano Paul; 03-11-2010, 01:08 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Stacking delays

My friend from Hillsong College said stacking overdrives is a necessity to get that full sound. Yet no one else here is stacking and combining overdrives? Maybe he was wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaetano Paul View Post
                    My friend from Hillsong College said stacking overdrives is a necessity to get that full sound. Yet no one else here is stacking and combining overdrives? Maybe he was wrong?
                    The first rule of effects is there is no right and wrong. For him with his rig to get the sound he wants it is necessary. For me, my rig and the sound I want it's not.
                    I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by travisvwright View Post
                      The first rule of effects is there is no right and wrong. For him with his rig to get the sound he wants it is necessary. For me, my rig and the sound I want it's not.
                      Yeah, I guess that what the head guitar guy uses out there at Hillsong.
                      Like I said I have tried it and settled on an overdiven amp with a good over drive is all the stacking I am doing right now, and man did I give it a shot with many different pedals etc..............

Comment

Originally posted by Gaetano Paul View Post
                        man did I give it a shot with many different pedals etc..............
                        That's the fun part, though.

Comment

Yeah, my wife did not enjoy it.......

Comment

since my initial post in this thread, I've changed up my board to include:

wah(crybaby)-->tuner(fender)-->acoustic sim(ac-2)-->octave(oc-2)-->drive(sparkle drive)-->drive(boss sd-1)-->echo(danelectro)-->chorus(boss ch-1)-->noise sup.(ns-2)

so, one of my fav new tones is ac-2/ch-1/echo into clean amp. think current Craig Chaquico.

sometimes I'll stack my drives for thicker tones, but not often, at least not once the past few weeks.

I keep dating guitars, can't seem to commit to just one, which means I'm constantly adjusting for single coils, hb's, strat style, tele style, pro level pups vs economy line ones, etc. so my previous statment of using the onboard guitar controls is nil these days...

Don't ask why the tuner is where it is, that's just where it landed. the oc-2 and wah are more novelty than anything else, if I don't know what to do for a song I'll kick in the octave and play around, or engage the wah to add a funky feel (fun on songs like "you never let go", with a quacky little middle/bridge strat p'up setting - knopfler meets hendrix). the ns-2 has become a staple in service since I hear complaints of the elevated noise floor buzzing during quiet prayer times. people like technology but can't accept the resulting noise.

Comment

the sparkle drive is sweet. but Recently I have found love for the Pork Loin from Way Huge. on top of the awesome name, it has a great tone. I would like a drive that mixes the dry signal, and then something to stack on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X