How do I get rid of the NOISE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of the NOISE?

I recently switched from a Digitech RP 250 to chained single effects, because I wanted more control over the individual effects in my chain. That said, how do I lessen or eliminate the horrible amount of NOISE I get from my effects chain?

I run both my amp (when I use an amp) and my pedal board into a power conditioner before it gets to any wall outlet. Am I doing something wrong?

I usually run the RP through a DI to the board, and it is silent...no noise.
    When I run the RP through the amp (First generation Line 6 Spider 112), I get almost no noise.

When I play straight through the Spider (mic'd), I get no noise, but don't like the effects quality, or really have the ability to tweak them song to song.

Help me!

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Smitty,

What kind of noise are you getting: AC hum, high frequency, hissing, pops, crackles? Is it there all the time, or is it intermittent? Does it depend on where your pedal board is located or where you stand when you play? (Oh, that's right I forgot you are all over the place, jumping off amps and stuff )

I am not familiar with the equipment you mention since I do keys, but can you isolate the noise to some particular element in the chain? If a DI box is the final element between you and the board, your signal is magnetically coupled to the PA and there should not be any problems. See if your DI box has a ground lift switch and try that.

I do know that some power conditioners are really just glorified surge protectors. And as necessary as surge protection is, it does nothing for isolating the power (nor do they very often regulate the line voltage). You could get an isolation transformer which literally isolates the power you use from the wall power - again it is a magnetic coupling.

Sorry I can't solve your problem, but I sure would like to help.

Lou

Comment

Are you using batteries for your effects or a power supply? Many pedals donít play well together if theyíre daisy chained on a power supply. A Voodoo Lab Pedal has multiple isolated power taps, this fixed the noise problem on my board. Use a battery or just start taking pedals out of the chain until you find the offenders. I had problems with the digital pedals, all my analog pedals were silent no matter how they were powered or chained. Iíve still got some daisy chained from a single tap on the Pedal Power, I just had to make sure those were ones that worked together without generating noise.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin and Lou!

I was able to eliminate virtually all of the noise, by using the following methods (I'm only including this in case some guitar playing WL out there runs into the same problem):
        1) I tracked down the noisy pedals, and pulled them from my chain.
        2) I replaced all the connecting cables with FAT (diameter) Fender cables.

BTW, I use the same powered pedal board Hossman uses...minus the way cool second tier (you can see his pedal board in the "show your pedalboard" thread)

As an interesting but weird sideline...I tried all my "high dollar" (read that BOSS) pedals, and they just sounded flat. I plugged in my "made in china" Arion pedals ($15.00 each)...and THEY sound 100% BETTER!

Go figure.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
          Thanks Kevin and Lou!

I was able to eliminate virtually all of the noise, by using the following methods (I'm only including this in case some guitar playing WL out there runs into the same problem):
          1) I tracked down the noisy pedals, and pulled them from my chain.
          2) I replaced all the connecting cables with FAT (diameter) Fender cables.

BTW, I use the same powered pedal board Hossman uses...minus the way cool second tier (you can see his pedal board in the "show your pedalboard" thread)

As an interesting but weird sideline...I tried all my "high dollar" (read that BOSS) pedals, and they just sounded flat. I plugged in my "made in china" Arion pedals ($15.00 each)...and THEY sound 100% BETTER!

Go figure.

Smitty
          So it was the Boss pedals causing the noise? A fellow bandmate uses Modtone pedals that occasionally cause noise, but none of my 5 Boss pedals do it. Maybe you should sell off those Boss things and get a couple dozen more Arion ones!

Comment

I think this is just a temporary fix...until I can figure out how to mod the presets in the RP a little better...I'm on that elusive "perfect sound for me" search.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
              I think this is just a temporary fix...until I can figure out how to mod the presets in the RP a little better...I'm on that elusive "perfect sound for me" search.

Smitty
              have you looked into Digitech's RP500 or RP1000? more control over individual parameters, plus forums for tone patches online. Loads of stuff to try, maybe too much....can there be too much? As a fellow guitarist said to me, "its like a 64 pack of crayons when the teacher only asked for 8."

Comment

I actually have looked at both...like the 500 better than the 1000, but I think I'm going to hang on to the 250 until I can afford the GNX4.

A friend of mine has made some pretty amazing recordings with his GNX4, and I think I'm going to follow his lead.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by musicianinthestates View Post
                  more control over individual parameters, plus forums for tone patches online. Loads of stuff to try, maybe too much....can there be too much?
                  As Wally(Dilbert) says though, "As the amount of options on my office chair goes up, the probability that I am sitting on a less than optimum setting approaches 100%. Maybe I should try for disability." Most Multi-Boards scare me.
                  I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Effects

Maybe you should just play the piano. Works for me.

Comment

I DO play the piano...well...I play piano a little.

I am a GUITAR guy, and always will be.

Smitty

Comment

I have an RP250 that I have played for a while. I like it, especially some of the OD patches (#7 & #8 I think)

I replaced it with used Korg AX10, which I generally like better, but I still miss some of the patched on the Digi.

I had the same problem with my chain. Turned out it was my Line 6 Echo Park, and only on AC. I probably need better power, as I'm using a 200mA wall-wart. I run the Echo on battery now, and all is well, short-term.

Comment

Working...
                        X