Dude! I was just given a Hammond M-111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude! I was just given a Hammond M-111

This thing is referred to as the "poor-man's Hammond B-3!" I get to pick it up Saturday.

This gal had it listed on Craigslist for "$1." I wasn't sure if she literally meant a dollar or what, so I emailed her and asked about it, explaining to her that I write and record Christian music and I'd love to use the organ on my recording project. She said they paid $125 for it a couple years ago and that they wanted to at least get something for it. So I wrote her back and explained to her that I currently have no money to spare, a second baby on the way and a wife that won't be working in about 2 weeks. She wrote me back and said that she had a feeling it was meant for me, but that she was going to try and sell it first. If it didn't sell, she would give it to me.

Well, she wrote me today. It didn't sell. So she's giving it to me. I get to pick it up on Saturday. God is soooo good, and so is Sherrie from Emmett, ID!

Wow! Consider yourself blessed. Did it come with speakers of any kind? In my opinion, 95% of "the Hammond sound" really comes from the Leslie speaker. One dollar?? Man, that is unbelievable. I wish you well with it my friend!

Lou

Comment

Originally posted by louca View Post
      Wow! Consider yourself blessed. Did it come with speakers of any kind? In my opinion, 95% of "the Hammond sound" really comes from the Leslie speaker. One dollar?? Man, that is unbelievable. I wish you well with it my friend!

Lou
      I'm not sure what kind of speakers it has. It'd be amazing if it came with a Leslie! I'm pretty excited. I'm looking forward to doing some recording with it.

Comment

I know the feeling. I was given an H100 by an acquaintance in the next town. He is a Hammond guru and has a number of Hammonds and Leslies around. He's not in the greatest of health and needed to switch some Leslies around to different locations and needed help so I did and he gave me his "project Hammond", an H100 that was taken apart but he had ordered and had all the parts ready to go. It just needed to be re-assembled. I haven't done that yet because of lack of time and space, but I'm still excited that I am a Hammond owner!

Jeff

Comment

So just a little update: I picked it up on Saturday and much to my dismay, it seemed to be a 300lb paperweight...something to hold the garage floor down with. It would fire on, but I couldn't get it to make any sounds; just noise. Every key and pedal made the same note hum instead of a tone. I was pretty bummed. But everything seemed to be in working order, so I thought I'd wait until I had some money and have it serviced by a pro.

Well, yesterday was a miserable day for me. Just one of those pity party, hang-your-harp-on-the-tree, nothing ever goes right and the whole world is picking on me kinda days. I know....so juvenile.

Well, I got home from a long, boring, miserable day at work and hugged on my son for a while, which made me feel a little better. I stepped out into the garage, and tried to turn the organ on the way I had read on the internet. This is not one of those "flip a switch and go" organs. This is a Hammond with the old school mechanical tonewheel. So, I hold the "Run" switch for a few seconds, then turn the organ to "On." Boom...beautiful, singing, rich Hammond tone. And it sounded AMAZING.

I burst into the house, telling my wife "Okay...not EVERYTHING sucks." I ended up messing around with it for a couple hours, even recording a new song. (Not a worship song...but entertaining anyways. I apologized to my wife for being in such a bummer mood, and she said "When you're blue your blue and there isn't anything I can do for you but just stay out of your way." So...the main hook in the song is "She said when you're blue your blue...what else can you do? What else can you do?")

So anyways, it unfortunately did not come with a Leslie. But, it's in IMMACULATE condition, clean, and everything is in perfect working order. And man, does it sound incredible. 22 watt all tube power amp section, tube powered reverb, and the analog Hammond tonewheel tone generator. Mmmm....God is good!!! What an awesome blessing!

Comment

GReat man...

Something to consider is looking into the Motion Sound Pro-3x. It has an actual rotary horn and a simulated rotor and is pretty close to a real Leslie and you can get it for under $900 through Musicians Friend. It's much smaller, although if you're going to haul an M-111 around anywhere, the Leslie wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Comment

Working...
            X