Line 6 X3 Live.. anyone using it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 X3 Live.. anyone using it?

Just got this pedal.. I'm in shock.. I've been researching it for months, because i decided that if i was going to invest almost 1000 into a pedal, it was going to be the last one I got (plus my wife threatened me that if i get it, i'm not getting anymore)

anyway.. wondering who out there is using this puppy, and what tones you guys are using? i'm very much a Edge (from u2) style player, so I downloaded a bunch of the Edge tones from guitarport.com Lincoln Brewster also has his tones (as this is the pedal he uses) on his site for download... I also snagged some of John Mayers.. I've still got lots of room for user presets, so i'm wondering what people are using.

Oh and I also run my vocal through it, so Tone 2 is always set to a vocal preset.. I'm still new to the pedal, so I'm still learning it (don't think i will ever learn the whole thing..) at this point tone 2 is locked on just a studio vocal.. once i figure out the guitar presets, i'll start messing with the vocals..

anyways, here is my set up now...(2 pedal boards.. havent taken a pic of them together yet...) as you can see, the x3l is a big step up from what i have.. theres a lot of pedals, but they are all pretty cheap.. if i cant sell my custom board, I may just take my comp and selector off, and use them, as now they are really all i use since i have the x3l... and i play a tele most of the time.. sometimes an 86 roadstar..

right now i just play them through a PA.. some day I'll play them through this:

Last edited by chrisburke; 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM.

brent and i use this.

he spent the time with tone guru mark cuthbertson dialing in tons of tweaks, i need to get him to fly up his patch tweaks on his blog, worshiply.com.

he also dialed in a really nice acoustic patch that he uses with a dual pickup system on his breedlove, (combo piezo - bagg end magnetic).

Comment

I use the X3 (not the Live) and love it. My church uses an X3Live for bass, a great upgrade from the old BassPOD (v. 1 or 2, whatever it was). Both units sound fantastic and permit us to do anything that comes to our hearts.

Is there something in particular you need to know or a sound you're looking for?

As a Strat player, my favorite amp models are the various Marshall Plexis, Fender Twin, Fender Deluxe, Cornford, and Budda (their real names, not the Line6 names - can't remember theirs half the time). I've also used the various Engl and Diezel models at times. I've had a bit less luck with the Class A amps (Matchless and Vox, to name two), but that's just me.

Best OD FX IMO are the Classic (based on a Rat) and Tube Drive (based on a Butler/Chandler Tube Driver). The Tube Screamer is also very good, but the Rat seems to have a bit more attitude and transparency. All the time-based FX are excellent, including the delays. I usually use the normal digital delay, but also really like the analog delays for some things.

Cheap tip - dial up a nice clean tone using a Fender Twin or similar. Then under the Stomp section, dial up the Boost+EQ and play with the settings. It adds a very cool fatness to the clean tone without any obvious overdrive. I also dial up the Bassman 4X10 cabinet and switch the mic to the SM57 on axis. It makes it into sort of a Super Reverb. I like how it sounds in the mix - a bit brighter but with a cool depth. Add chorus or trem to taste.

These modelers have literally thousands of possible tones - you have to invest the time and program the unit. Then maybe do it again a while later (if you're fanatical like I am). Every time I do a tweaking session, I get even happier with my tones. I suggest tweaking using a PA cab or keyboard amp to simulate the church PA. I have not had much luck using headphones, but they're better than nothing if that's all you have that is full-range.

PODs also work well with other boxes. Similar to Lincoln, I run a Keeley Boss SD-1 in front of my POD. I work it two different ways at times - like Lincoln with the gain off (other knobs at noon) and gain at noon or a bit less. A regular SD-1 (a very good box stock - and cheap) also will give you nice results, yielding a solo tone that has a quality I can't QUITE get from the POD alone. But most of the time, I find I can use my collection of overdrives to find the sound I crave, then dial up a nearly identical tone with just the POD, keeping my setup simple and quiet.

Drop us a note if you have specific questions or concerns.

Greg

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the POD. I used to use a pedal board/amp setup full of boutique quality gear, and sold it all for the POD, and I have never been happier with my tone. I use heavily modified versions of Lincoln Brewsters patches, and they have worked extremely well for me.

It does take a lot of time to really learn how to use a POD effectively though. It took me a year or so to really get the hang of the system, but the work was worth it! I should note though that it is well worth it to invest in a good monitor/amp for the POD. I highly recommend the Atomic Reactor. It's specifically designed for modeling amps, and sounds amazing with them! The price is right as well - under $500 for an 18 watter new, and I paid $350 for mine used.

Comment

I love PODs. I fell in love with it the first time I used it. I used it first with an Ibanez S320 Guitar and it sounds awesome. Switched to Strat and its even way better. I can do all things from acoustic to heavy metal, but I don't really play heavy metal.lol

What I really like about it is that, if I have an ideal tone and got the sound I was looking for, I can even share it through the net. I can also download patches from other users....wow, this is awesome!!!!

All for the glory of God.....God bless borthers...

Comment

I really wanted to like newer line6 modeling tech, i have a ux1 with pod farm, which should be an equivalent. At first things sound good then the sound drains me. I don't think their is enough variation in the tone. like they need a longer algorithm or something. Even when playing bass threw it i started to get grating sounding. Listening to CD's does the same thing to me, just something to that analog never exactly the same twice reproduction!

The guitarist in the band i started playing bass in uses a variax and vetta, i keep telling him he is going to have to get new gear once i move to guitar. His line6 stuff will sound pathetic played beside my mesa.
            Live Blessed!

Comment

I bought the X3 Live a few weeks ago and am absolutely loving it. Thankfully I have had a few weeks of holidays, so I have been able to play with it a lot and discover the sorts of tones that I like.

The worship team at my church has to be very flexible, as we don't know who is going to turn up, and what songs we're going to play until about half an hour before the service. So I could be leading worship, or playing rhythm guitar, or any number of possibilities. Setting up my board allows me to fully be ready for any possibility.

My tones are set up as such:
              First band is for morning worship. This is a fairly traditional service, calling for a slightly restrained sound. As such I have a super clean tone (with boost+eq giving a boost in tone, and then tone 2 with exactly the same but with more volume to give me a variety of volumes if i choose) with a chorus and analogue delay set up. Second tone will be a distortion tone but I've got to refine that at the moment. It has to have a lot more body of tone, with just a touch of distortion. I might try layering a clean amp with a distortion amp to see how that goes. Tone three has lots of reverb and chorus, with a slightly lower volume, for use during prayer. Finally the last tone is set up for my acoustic guitar, just in case there's no drums (i prefer to play acoustic when there's no drums to give that slightly percussive effect).

Second band is for our youth meetings which I can let loose a bit more. First up I have the Orange amp set just on the verge of breakup so that I can play soft for clean, hard for slight break up then add in the overdrive to give it more. Second tone I have the two marshall JCM-900's - clean and distorted. Third I have emulated Nigel Hendroff's tone for use with Hillsong songs. Add the delay and you can pretty much play any of the lead lines. Finally, repeated the acoustic tones, just in case I'm using that.

From here, I'm looking at seeing what songs we play regularly, and make tones for that. Also, looking at playing with the mic preamps, and running my vocals through that. Need to get a mic first though, might have to borrow some equipment from Church.

Comment

Good news for us POD X3 users! Line 6 just announced that they will be releasing an update containing a bunch of new effects, including a new delay, chorus, trem, and a vocoder among others. Personally, I'm hoping a new OD model will be included, but I won't hold my breath.

Anyways, link: Line 6 - POD X3 - Guitar Multi Effects Processor

Hopefully it will be here soon!

Comment

I own an X3 Live and love it but still need to learn it and figure out the best tones for me.

Comment

I run a Boss GT-10 and love it. A good strat playing brother, who recently left us to Pastor our broken church in Haiti, turned me onto the MFX specifically for church use. He ran the Boss ME-50 into the churches tube amp. It was so simple, "you take this one pedal and tweak it at home, so it does what you want to at church."
                    I was a bit mystified! So easy, so convenient, sound good too, though I am not a strat guy but am opening up more to other styles in my old age. ( Been a LP guy since child hood, but recently got a tele )

SInce he has left the tube amp has step down (died) and I, and the Worship pastor, are bot running straight to PA. I have had 2 other MFX's, first the Zoom G7, this was a big learning curve it took me 2 months of diligent study and tweaking just to learn how to operate, then the Digitech GNX3000, now the Boss GT-10. After the Zoom I now can just spend the hour reading a MFX manual and am off and running. I have a good friend who uses the X3 Live and I am constantly wanting to try one out for myself.

Originally posted by Drew B View Post
                    I highly recommend the Atomic Reactor. It's specifically designed for modeling amps, and sounds amazing with them! The price is right as well - under $500 for an 18 watter new, and I paid $350 for mine used.
                    I also use the Atomic 18W, man I am loving it. I love to dial up a nice clean or driven Class A, usually Matchless but been messing with Vox, and stomp on a nice transparent overdrive. This is the happiest tone I have had yet!
                    I would love to talk to you, Drew about how you use yours, I just got mine a week or so ago and am totally stoked!

Comment

So I mentioned that I own one of these but he is my dilemna...even though I do own an electric, I usually only play acoustic. Not even sure I need this thing . Anyone have any suggestions for tones or settings I should try out?

Comment

Originally posted by Harvdog View Post
                        So I mentioned that I own one of these but he is my dilemna...even though I do own an electric, I usually only play acoustic. Not even sure I need this thing . Anyone have any suggestions for tones or settings I should try out?

If I was going to go that way I think I would buy a low watt solid state practice amp. Something like a 15 watt Fender Frontman for less than a hundred dollars and take some time with pod and set the amp as dry as I could get it ( close to the sound of a PA ) and expeiment with it by myself to hear what sounds I think would go well with the team. Then take the Pod to practice for further tweaking.

Comment

I own and use one with my electric and this sunday for our early service I will be playing my acoustic. I've been debating whether to run it straight or use the POD so I'm going to play around with it Saturday. Here's what I plan to do.

First rather than buying an amp I'm going through my surround sound system. It will be more PAish.

Second if you download GearBox there are a bunch of pre-made tones you can try and also load off of www.customtone.com (the Line 6 site for sharing presets). I'll find one that's close then tweak it down for what I want.

So I've got my electric sounding pretty good and now my acoustic so the next step is vocals. But that's for a different week.
                          I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

I use my POD quite a bit with my acoustic. I use the tube preamp model and/or the post EQ to shape the tone, then add reverb and delay as needed. I'm redoing my patches at the moment due to new sound equipment at my home church, but it has done a great job in the past, and I've gotten quite a few compliments to that effect. If you want to play around with my patches, just PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin View Post
                              If I was going to go that way I think I would buy a low watt solid state practice amp. Something like a 15 watt Fender Frontman for less than a hundred dollars and take some time with pod and set the amp as dry as I could get it ( close to the sound of a PA ) and expeiment with it by myself to hear what sounds I think would go well with the team. Then take the Pod to practice for further tweaking.
                              I do have a Fender Champion 300 Practice Amp and an Orange Crush CR10 Mini Amp but the problem is, I'm not really sure where to start or what to include in the acoustic mix. I guess I just need to start fooling around with it.

Originally posted by travisvwright View Post
                              I own and use one with my electric and this sunday for our early service I will be playing my acoustic. I've been debating whether to run it straight or use the POD so I'm going to play around with it Saturday. Here's what I plan to do.

First rather than buying an amp I'm going through my surround sound system. It will be more PAish.

Second if you download GearBox there are a bunch of pre-made tones you can try and also load off of Line 6 :: Custom Tone (the Line 6 site for sharing presets). I'll find one that's close then tweak it down for what I want.

So I've got my electric sounding pretty good and now my acoustic so the next step is vocals. But that's for a different week.
                              I did install GearBox and checked out some of the pre-mades but probably haven't spent another time with it. I'd love to try out some of your acoustic tones.

Originally posted by Drew B View Post
                              I use my POD quite a bit with my acoustic. I use the tube preamp model and/or the post EQ to shape the tone, then add reverb and delay as needed. I'm redoing my patches at the moment due to new sound equipment at my home church, but it has done a great job in the past, and I've gotten quite a few compliments to that effect. If you want to play around with my patches, just PM me your email and I'll send them to you.
                              I would love to get your patches and check them out. PMing you now.

Comment

Working...
                              X