Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpactguitarist View Post
    whats the difference between the ts-808 and the Xotic RC Booster,
    it sounds like the RC is a lot more transparent... no mid range bump, or not nearly as much as 808. its almost as if its an active pickup circuit that boosts the clarity, fullness, and can drive an amp to sweet break up. You see a lot of jazz players running the clean boost type box, but its not just for those guys. I'll definitely be picking one of these up someday, after I trade in my tonebone trimode and sparkle drive to get that BB plus, and maybe an AC plus!! Its all good!

I'd never heard or heard of Xotic pedals before, now I want'em all!!

Comment

I followed the link, and was also really impressed with the RC Booster. I sometimes run a compressor at the front of my chain, and use it for a volume boost, but its not really a "clean" boost. The RC is clean.

I'm saving my pennies.

Smitty
      Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

say i wanted to go into a solo and wanted to be a tad bit louder than everyone what should i buy for that? im use to the moduals sorrry for all the questions but i appreciate yalls help

Comment

If you don't want to change your sound just make it louder I like the Boss EQ pedals I have a 6 myself but they aren't made any more and I think the 7 works is even easier to do this with.
          I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpactguitarist View Post
            say i wanted to go into a solo and wanted to be a tad bit louder than everyone what should i buy for that? im use to the moduals sorrry for all the questions but i appreciate yalls help
            you could use a volume pedal at the end of the effects chain so it doesn't mess with the gain. Just set it appropriately for group play and swell up to solo volume as needed. Great for blending back in, instead of sudden "HONK, I'm louder", then turning off a booster and leaving people say, "where's the guitar?" volume pedals are also great for creating atmosphere and dynamics, you can back way off, but still offer relative pitch and a little rhythm for singers to stay in key and time.

Comment

Something to keep in mind with a Volume pedal is most volume pedals don't increase sound they only decrease it. If you have an effects chain and add a volume pedal to the end wide open nothing should change (minor signal degredation aside). So to be able to use a volume pedal you will need to increase the volume of your entire system then roll the volume pedal back to bring it where you want it and have the ability to be louder at other times.

Just something to keep in mind as once you dial in that perfect sound trying to raise the entire volume often puts you right back at square one. So if you are going to use a volume pedal. Plan your effects and settings for the loudest parts then use the volume pedal as a limiter.
              I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by travisvwright View Post
                So to be able to use a volume pedal you will need to increase the volume of your entire system then roll the volume pedal back to bring it where you want it and have the ability to be louder at other times.

Just something to keep in mind as once you dial in that perfect sound trying to raise the entire volume often puts you right back at square one. So if you are going to use a volume pedal. Plan your effects and settings for the loudest parts then use the volume pedal as a limiter.
                thanks for clarifying that for him. Thats what I meant by set it midway for group levels then swelling up to solo volume as needed.

Comment

I stopped using volume pedals and started using the volume on my guitar instead because I realised that every time I wanted a volume boost I also needed a bit more gain. I know there is sort of an unspoken guitarry rule that you always have everything on the guitar turned to 10, however I have quite a it of success dialing my sounds in with the volume on my strat set to five and then with a flick of the finger turning it to 10 for a boost.

Comment

Simon, that's what the volume knob is there for. If not you would just have an on off switch! I play threw a single channel amp half the time, so i keep my neck pickup on 5 and bridge pickup on 10. switch back and forth to go from clean to distortion. I even installed a cap on my guitar so when i turn down the neck pickup it doesn't loose it's highs.

If a volume boosts is all you need, i suggest an eq. My amp has both a solo volume, and a 5 band EQ. It's more effective to change your eq on your amp to stand out in the mix than to boost volume.
                    Live Blessed!

Comment

My two cents' worth...

Hi,

I have the Damage Control Womanizer (What a name... Anyway!) This is one great pedal! Opto-Compressor into an AX7 valve to drive the pre-amp, Pre- AND post-EQ, plus a 'Nuclear' switch to give you another tube-driven boost! It does everything; unfortunately, they are no longer made - I heard it was due to its' expense compared with Boss and Ibanez pedals. I have replaced the plastic jacks with metal ones to match the quality of the rest of the pedal (that expensive and they scrimp on the jacks...)

If you look on eBay, they do come up occasionally for about $300; it has a sister model with the exact same chassis called the Demonizer (honestly, what is the attraction with these names?!) which is a lot 'heavier'. I'd say that the Womanizer is perfect for a 'church tone', if you know what I mean! I use both my Godin LGX on single coils and my twin humbucker Washburn P4 through it, and they sound great!

Comment

Check out the new Blackstar pedals. Tubes running at 300 volts, built like a tank, fairly priced, several versions according to need and taste. I have heard them but not played them (it was a rep's demo at a local store).

Their amps are sweet too. Their stuff is a bit hard to find as it's early in the game and I think everything is made in England. They are just now setting up their dealer network here in the US.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwind View Post
                          Check out the new Blackstar pedals. Tubes running at 300 volts, built like a tank, fairly priced, several versions according to need and taste. I have heard them but not played them (it was a rep's demo at a local store).

Their amps are sweet too. Their stuff is a bit hard to find as it's early in the game and I think everything is made in England. They are just now setting up their dealer network here in the US.

Greg
                          Actually, I can testify to the Blackstar sound being great; one of the worship leaders in our church has a Blackstar that goes into his Fender Musicmaster amp; great tone! Have played the Blackstar amps too and they are amazing for the money; they deserve success Stateside!

Comment

In my opinion a simple compresser does wonders especially where tubes are concerned.

Comment

I use the Marshall Guv'nor. Inexpensive, and VERY VERY Marshall. Sounds like a JCM 800 in a tiny metal box. sounds very valve-ish. The chassis is also bult better than any other brand of pedals I've ever come across. This thing makes Boss pedals look like fine china.

its got a knob on it called 'deep' that increases the low-end response (differently than the Bass knob). Makes your tiny 10" or 1X12" cab sound like a 4X12.

If you want vintage sound, tube warmth, punch, durability, and incredible tonal range (at a price that makes the better Boss pedals look pricey), check out the Guv'nor.

Peace folks!

Comment

Working...
                              X