Good tube overdrive pedals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tube overdrive pedals...

I used to use the Boss Blues Driver, but the sound just sounded to fake. So i started my search for a good sounding overdrive pedal....

i stumbled upon the Fulltone Full-Drive 2. This pedal is absoulty amazing! it is the perfect worship overdrive its crunchy but not to driving so you dont sound like your in a punk rock band. but its more of a overdrivin clean tone. And you get feedback from it so all you delay fans, this pedal is perfect for volume swells.

I think i'm going to buy the Ibanez Tube Screamer Ts-808 i've heard this is the pedal above all pedals....

what to you guys use or like?

The FullDrive 2 is a GREAT pedal. I will never sell mine unless it’s to get a newer/better version. The one I have is not the latest – like the second latest. It has the 3-position toggle switch between the knobs. This is a great value with its switchable boost feature, making it two pedals in one – and both sound excellent.

I’d like to try the Fulltone OCD, which is supposed to be incredible too.

I haven’t played a TS-808 and have heard mixed reviews.

Two pedals that are far cheaper that I can recommend – DigiTech Bad Monkey and Screamin’ Blues. Both run about $40 new and are built like tanks. The Monkey is great for crunch and blues tones, but isn’t very high-gain. The Blues pedal is a screamer, much higher gain. Both sound great. The hot setup is to run them side-by-side. It’s hard to imagine that pedals in this price range can sound so good.

An overlooked pedal is the Tech21 overdrive – Double Drive, which I think has been discontinued. The newer version, DD3X, takes this idea a bit further but runs about $180. The old DD was around $100 new. These permit you to dial in Class A or Class A/B power tube distortion in various amounts. I loved mine – sounded great and very versatile. Like an idiot I sold it. Tech 21 makes some nice stuff and it’s all analog.

Great post and a fun subject – can’t have too many overdrives, IMO.

Greg

Comment

I second the Bad Monkey, best dirt pedal for the money out there, IMO. Also consider the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde - and peruse some of the boutique shops as well. tonefactor.com is a good resource with active forums and lots of sound clips of various pedals on the market.

Comment

yeah i'm a huge boutique pedal fan. One of the guitar players on our worship teams plays the Jekyll and Hyde pedal and i like it alot, thats another 2 in 1 pedal that is really good

Comment

I didn't mean to leave out the Visual Sound pedals. I've never played one, but have heard them and like them very much. They also usually feature the second button, giving them great value for the dollar. I should check them out one of these days, but then I'd probably buy one - not good stewardship right now...

Greg

Comment

hey guys - yeah, one of the other sites, thetoneguru.com is a member here, and will likely jump in soon!
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9

A few years ago I bought a floor model Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9. They typically retail for about $150.00 I think, but I got it for about $100.00 because it was a display model.

Anyway, I have used it for about 5 years and love it. If you connect it to a transister amplifier it will make the amp sound like a tube amp, in my opinion. I use a Fender Strat with it.

Comment

I have to agree with Jim Busch, the Ibanez Tube Screamer is a great pedal, either in its latest form or the one from back in the 70's (I think).

I've heard great things about the Jekyll & Hyde pedal, although I've not personally used it.

Comment

Tube screamer ....

Jekyl and hyde

Route 66

those three are the best sounding overdrives Ive heard

Comment

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive

(First post, Hi folks!)
                    I went to the Hillsong Conference in 2005 and Nigel Hendroff did a guitar workshop where he talked through his gear. On his recommendation I got a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive (http://www.voodoolab.com/) and I like it a lot ($90USD used, $150AUD after all expenses).
                    It's got a clean blend knob that is a balance between the gain/OD sound and a nice clean boost. Modifying this gives a wide range of sounds.
                    I'm pretty sure Nigel (he's the guy with the dreadlocks if you've seen the videos) was using this and a Tube Screamer as well (plus a stack of other nice bits of kit).

Comment

wow...thanks for the tip that pedal sounds great on the site...the funk mp3 sample is killer

Comment

Man it really depends on your exact setup and tonal preference, but I'll be honest, I really don't care for the Fulltone, Jekyl & Hyde, or the Bad Monkey. (And I hate the Blues Driver). I am a BIG fan of the Maxon line of tubescreamers. I especially like the OD808. It is true bypass for one, and very transparent (if you like that). But in general I think that all the tubescreamers are pretty good overall (even the Ibanez ones), and I also like the Boss SD1 (and its cheap).

Comment

Robert Keely makes some great pedals, as do the folks over at Swell Pedals. What do I use?? I'm just getting back into the electric side of things after a dozen years or more of just playing acoustic. I had sold my early 80s Kramer and all of my Boss pedals way back then, so when rejoined the electric crowd, I went the all in one route by getting a Line6 floor POD. That's enough for me at this time. By the way...another good place to find pedals is over at Pedal Geek.

In Hymn,
                          Billy

Comment

man

i really want to get the keeley blues driver, their mod looks and sounds amazing, not to mention thats what john mayer uses for his great tone. and man, thanks for that pedal geek site, i've never heard of it before.

Comment

Another vote for the Bad Monkey. $40 bucks, and it lets your guitar tone shine through.

Comment

Working...
                              X