Anyone use aftermarket pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are clearly the best!

I will be talking to the folks at GFS this week or next. I may have been a bit too hasty when I said I didn't want to change the guitars appearance AT ALL. What I meant was that I don't want to drop a humbucker in it, or change the PU cover colors. I have no prob with a "rails" type PU in the bridge position, and for sure want better than ceramic for the rest.

I found a guitar tech here in town, and the guy is awesome. he is currently working on my Vendetta's broken nut. He can do all the work I'll likely EVER need done, and...there is some interest on his part for a dialogue about faith, God, and all that goes with it. I'm kinda pumped about that aspect.

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

One other thing I should mention...I pretty much always play my guitar through a DI into the board. I don't even know if that makes any kind of difference. I play through the DI because I tend to move around, and I don't like...or really see the need...to mess with my amp while I'm leading.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
        You guys are clearly the best!

I will be talking to the folks at GFS this week or next. I may have been a bit too hasty when I said I didn't want to change the guitars appearance AT ALL. What I meant was that I don't want to drop a humbucker in it, or change the PU cover colors. I have no prob with a "rails" type PU in the bridge position, and for sure want better than ceramic for the rest.

Smitty
        Not using ceramic limits the possibilities of Dimarzio. All their rails are ceramic. All of my aforementioned Dimarzio p'ups use Alnico 2 or 5 so those are still in the running, if you're not satisfied with GFS. If you're open to ceramic rails as a bridge p'up, I like the chopper, cruiser, pro track, or fast track 1.

I'll also say I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan quarter pound p'ups, both the staggered and flat pole models. Fatter than standard singles, but not as narly as humbuckers can get. Kinda P90-ish I guess. And a lot of people swear by the lil 59 and JB jr, both rails from SD. I don't know what magnets those use though.

Comment

Okay...what I SHOULD have said...better than WEAK, wimpy ceramic. Beefy, strong ceramic is good. Basically I do not want to do a sonic injustice to the beautiful guitar that is almost mine.

BTW...I have nothing at all against DiMarzio P'ups, but have found other products to be just as good. My experience with them is limited, and my playing style may affect/ have affected my perception.

I HAVE had much more experience with GFS P'ups, and find them to be superior in virtually every area. Price point, components, construction, after purchase support - GFS rocks!

Again, My experience and perception. Yours may be very different.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
            Okay...what I SHOULD have said...better than WEAK, wimpy ceramic. Beefy, strong ceramic is good. Basically I do not want to do a sonic injustice to the beautiful guitar that is almost mine.

BTW...I have nothing at all against DiMarzio P'ups, but have found other products to be just as good. My experience with them is limited, and my playing style may affect/ have affected my perception.

I HAVE had much more experience with GFS P'ups, and find them to be superior in virtually every area. Price point, components, construction, after purchase support - GFS rocks!

Again, My experience and perception. Yours may be very different.

Smitty
            Good deal buddy!

I just offer my experiences. I have more consistent positive experience with Dimarzio than GFS. though I like my GFS p'ups through certain equipment I detest them through others, while dimarzios have been much better at offering a consistent love or hate reaction through varied equipment tests.

Gear testing (and acquisition) is all part of the fun of guitar, right?

Comment

You are SO right! It's an adventure!

You know, its more than likely that I have led a fairly sheltered life, at least in the area of guitar tech. Mostly due to the fact that I have been focused for such a long while on leading, and writing, and have only recently (last three to four years or so) really gotten into the more technical side of things.

I'm looking forward to learning more, and am really thankful that I have a group of people that are so willing to share.

So, thanks, my friend!

Smitty

Comment

Working...
              X