No announcement yet.

Guitar Effects / Amp Modeling Pedal Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trench's video is awesome...and as soon as I can find a used schecter AE1....I will be using that exact set-up.

Here is the killer....Schecter doesn't make the C-1 AE anymore. Peavey's offering, the Generation EXP...yup, you guessed it...no longer made. You can get the parts from Stew-Mac to give any guitar a piezo bridge pick-up...about $400.00 before the labor.

My old digitech RP has a crappy acoustic modeler, and my Boss AC-3 (acoustic simulator) is equally crappy...and NOISY.

I would love to hear about anyone currently using the "one guitar, two sounds" system, and find out exactly what they are using.

Back to the OP...

Anything Line 6 is going to be just fine. If you want to save a few bucks, get the cheapest Pod that can run the FBV "short board" foot controller.

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
      Trench's video is awesome...and as soon as I can find a used schecter AE1....I will be using that exact set-up.

Here is the killer....Schecter doesn't make the C-1 AE anymore. Peavey's offering, the Generation EXP...yup, you guessed it...no longer made. You can get the parts from Stew-Mac to give any guitar a piezo bridge pick-up...about $400.00 before the labor.

My old digitech RP has a crappy acoustic modeler, and my Boss AC-3 (acoustic simulator) is equally crappy...and NOISY.

I would love to hear about anyone currently using the "one guitar, two sounds" system, and find out exactly what they are using.

Smitty
      Smitty,

check out the Carvin AE185, acoustic electric semi-hollow customizable. starting price $1000. Maybe watch ebay for a used one?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalo...hp?model=ae185

Comment

Yeah, I use a Carvin AE 185 into a Pod X3 Live. It's similar to the set up worshiptrench put up. The Carvin has two 1/4" outs which go the the POD, and has 2 XLR outs into the system. I get a great tone for both electric and acoustic. The amp modeling on the POD it ridiculously good, plus you get all the other affects you'd ever need for a worship setting. Can't go wrong with the POD.

Comment

I have a Line 6 Pod, but I have been more impressed with the Vox digital modelling offerings. I demoed the LE and loved it. With that said, tube amps still sound better, but you said you don't necessarily need the best. If you're looking for digital modelling because its cheaper, or more flexable, portable, than the Line 6 or Vox units are great.

The one thing about the Vox is it has a real tube in it that is supposed to at least mimic the feel of a tube amp.

Also, I feel that the digital modelling stuff works best for high gain or super clean tones. I never got great medium gaintones, and to me this is where most contemporary praise & worship sits. However, I have been able to remedy this situation by throwing a good, analog overdrive pedal in front of my Pod. This is how Lincoln Brewster gets such great tones out of his Pod.

Comment

Greg:

This might sound like a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

When you say "in front", do you mean guitar>analog overdrive>pod>amp, or do you mean guitar>pod>analog overdrive>amp?

I've been using pedals for a long time, left them for multi-effects, and have now returned to pedal chains. I have been experimenting with pedal positions in the chain, as well as studying the theory behind pedal positioning.

Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Smitty
            Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

True, Lincoln uses an OD in front of his X3's, but that is just to add a little dirt and boost to his signal. His tones can stand on their own without an additional OD because he tweaks them so precisely.
              Last edited by phil77; 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Smitty asked:

This might sound like a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

When you say "in front", do you mean guitar>analog overdrive>pod>amp, or do you mean guitar>pod>analog overdrive>amp?
                Glad you asked. You don't learn unless you ask. "In front" means that the overdrive is in front of the Pod.

You always want line based effects (overdrives, distortions and compressors) in front of the amp. The Pod would be acting like the amp. Furthermore, the pod is sequenced so that the time-based effects (modulations, reverbs, delays) are between the preamp and the power amp.

If you mess with that order, you'll get distorted reverbs, delays and modulation effects, which most people don't like.

Comment

Boss GT-10 is what I use. (about $475)

It has so much flexibility that it can be overwhelming. Paired with your favorite amp (mine is a Vox AC30) using the "4 cable method," and with the ability to place your effects, the amp simulations, and the real amp (send/return unit) anywhere in the effects chain makes it truly powerful. Furthermore, you can have more than one effect in a given class of effects (such as having 2 or 3 delays going simultaneously) due to two programmable effects slots in addition to the preassigned effects slots (Overdrive, Compressor, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, etc.). All of this can be synchronized to one master BPM.

The fully programmable pedals (including expression pedal, with option to add external pedals), each with LED indicators, makes it easy for live use.

The menus are easy to understand and are spread "widely" rather than "deeply". That is, you don't have to dig through menu after menu to get to something because there is usually some button that goes directly to the menu you need.

There is a rudimentary looper that can record 30+ seconds.

I hear the unit has better build quality than Line 6's offerings, although I have no first hand experience with the Line 6 stuff.

The only downside is that if you rely on the simulated preamps and cabinets, you will have to start from scratch and spend time tweaking the patches to get the sound you want because the defaults are just horrible. People say the Line 6 preamp and cabinet modeling is better out of the box than Boss's. Due to the crappy default settings, I can believe it.

I've only scratched the surface of what this thing can do, but it's been great so far.

Comment

Working...
                  X