Economic Live Multi-Channel Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic Live Multi-Channel Recording

For some time many of our congregants as well as folks that attend our outside events have asked for a new CD. We've been pushing them off telling them we'd rather do a live CD that would better capture the energy and spirit of our performances.

Well, I just took the first step toward that with a new product that might be of interest to some folks in here. Allen & Heath announced a new product called 'ICE-16' which started shipping in late spring. I just ordered a unit and I think it's going to be exactly what's called for. It's a 16 track digital recorder that can be standalone and record directly to a USB memory device. All 16 inputs are line level so you can either come out of channel monitors (if your board has them), or out of the Channel Insert lines with an appropriate cable. Each channel is stored into it's individual .WAV file that can then be imported into your DAW and mixed/mastered. This unit prices out just below $1,000 and I was able to get one for $795.

AH-ICE16-04-front.jpg
    AH-ICE16-05-bacl.jpg

If your church is looking for a way to capture professional level live recordings this may be something to look at. I'll keep everyone advised as to how it's working out as I start incorporating it.

Here's the review from Sound-On-Sound of the unit: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...eath-ice16.htm
    The Posse Band live performance tracks can be heard by CLICKING HERE

THANK YOU SO much for posting this!

Comment

You're very welcome. I've been a bit busy lately with some other mission efforts in the church, but today we are playing at an outside event for rescue animals and providing the sound system for the event. I'm going to give this it's first field action today, so hopefully in a week or so I'll be able to recap how this has worked. Keep tuned in....

Comment

Okay...I FINALLY got a chance to incorporate the new system into our church service and captured the live performance. If anyone is interested I can go over the technical details of how I set this up, but I wanted to share the end result.

I took the USB hard drive I used to capture the performance back to my home studio and spent a good amount of time mixing and mastering it. You have to bear in mind that what I was capturing was NOT the signal coming out of each channel on the mixing board, but rather the raw signal intercepted PRIOR to the mixing board. Therefore I had to do all the EQ and mixing on my studio DAW (which is Sonar X2), and then master it through Sound Forge Pro. All told the results were pretty good. I've attached links to the individual songs I captured below:

Great Change

Mighty Good Leader

The Mission

10,000 Reasons
        Last edited by DunedinDragon; 11-15-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hey, listened to the recordings and it sounds great! You should totally do a full review on this. I myself am a little confused as to how this type of unit works.

Comment

Hey, sounds great. You should do a full review on this product. I myself am trying to set-up our system for recording live but so far it has failed to sound producible.

Comment

Originally posted by GenerationUnited View Post
              Hey, sounds great. You should do a full review on this product. I myself am trying to set-up our system for recording live but so far it has failed to sound producible.
              Sounds like a good idea. I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you. I'll start thinking about how to best present the information, but I probably won't get around to it until after Thanksgiving (WAAAYYY too much stuff going on right now).

My initial idea might be to do it as a white paper in .PDF format so I can use plenty of pictures and diagrams to make it easy for everyone to understand.

Comment

You are awsome. I will be "patiently" awaiting your review. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X