Ceiling side mounting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling side mounting question.

Our church just got in a pair of Mackie C200s for center fills. I'm looking to mount them from the ceiling on their sides. Mackie's brackets are like $50 each, and for side mounting we would require two each. I don't want to spent $100 mounting a $200 speaker. I'm looking for alternatives. We used eyehooks for our other mains, but I would prefer not to have to disassemble/drill into the Mackies if possible. The most obvious solution is to loop something around the handle, but the instructions explicitly say not to do this. Is Mackie just saying that so we have to buy their brackets. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions are welcome.

I'll be honest, if ever I was going to NOT jerry rig something it would with heavy speakers hanging above people's heads. Sounds like the cost is worth it to me.

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
      I'll be honest, if ever I was going to NOT jerry rig something it would with heavy speakers hanging above people's heads. Sounds like the cost is worth it to me.

Nate
      I hear what you're saying, but the speakers are only 26lbs.

Comment

26 lbs is plenty enough to kill a person, but I'll leave it at that.

Nate
        Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

I understand that it's ridiculous that you pay more for the brackets than the speakers. But by the time someone designs some kind of cradle, cuts, welds/screws it together, paints it, and makes it aesthetically pleasing, you will spend more than $200 in time and materials if you were to hire someone. Especially how these are asymmetric polypropylene cabinets. It would take some work to get them to look sleek and not fit like a saddle on a boar.

I would definitely not hang it by the handle- they aren't designed to be used as permanent supporting structure and may crack or break over time.

If you are set on making your own brackets (or you have a machinist or woodworking buddy do it for you), the best bet I would think is to use the mounting bosses for the factory brackets and fasten your homemade brackets there. They are designed to be the load-carrying part of the cab. You aren't screwing into the cab, you aren't making some kind of Red Green contraption, and you aren't adding holes to the cabs.
          If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post

Nate
            Enough said. Mackie has provided a safe option to fly these. Not the place to scrimp.
            Eric Frisch
            www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

No offense, but you all act like you've never used a drill or a hammer before. Honestly, $200 for four pieces of metal with a few holes in them seems like a bit much.

Mike, I think you're right. I'll improvise something using the mounting bosses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Darley View Post
                No offense, but you all act like you've never used a drill or a hammer before.
                Then it's really no big deal to pull the back off the cabinet and do the job properly.

We build our own flying rig for two JBL 15x9 cabs. (about 40 lb each) that cost us about $60 to do. But it involved disassembling the cabs and running bolts, washers and nuts inside. They were fine for several years until we moved them to wall mounts last year.

Whatever you do, be sure to inspect them several times a year to be sure nothing is coming loose.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
                  Then it's really no big deal to pull the back off the cabinet and do the job properly.

We build our own flying rig for two JBL 15x9 cabs. (about 40 lb each) that cost us about $60 to do. But it involved disassembling the cabs and running bolts, washers and nuts inside. They were fine for several years until we moved them to wall mounts last year.

Whatever you do, be sure to inspect them several times a year to be sure nothing is coming loose.
                  Yes, that's what we did with our current set of Yamahas, which are more like 40 lbs as well. I like the idea of using the existing bosses. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

No offense, but you all act like you've never used a drill or a hammer before.
                    Well, from the time I was old enough to walk until I went to college, I worked for my dad, who was a roofer and concrete man. I was also a truck/auto technician for about 12 years. I know my way around tools...

However, I can also say from my experience that my best customers far and away were the "I'll do it myself and save money" people. Granted, many people are mechanically inclined, but I cannot count the times where people thought they'd save money and in the long run it cost several times what it would have cost to do it right.

So when I see someone going the DIY route, my first reaction is "umm...are you sure?' lol

Sounds like you have a plan in mind. If you're up for it, post some pics- I'd like to see how they come out. I'm a nuts & bolts kind of guy at heart
                    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike on Bass View Post
                      Well, from the time I was old enough to walk until I went to college, I worked for my dad, who was a roofer and concrete man. I was also a truck/auto technician for about 12 years. I know my way around tools...

However, I can also say from my experience that my best customers far and away were the "I'll do it myself and save money" people. Granted, many people are mechanically inclined, but I cannot count the times where people thought they'd save money and in the long run it cost several times what it would have cost to do it right.

So when I see someone going the DIY route, my first reaction is "umm...are you sure?' lol

Sounds like you have a plan in mind. If you're up for it, post some pics- I'd like to see how they come out. I'm a nuts & bolts kind of guy at heart
                      I agree that there are a lot of folks who do more harm than good with DIY solutions. (We're actually experiencing a bit of that with people "helping" at our new building.) I'm a pretty handy guy myself. I just built our stage and sound booth, so I know my way around tools. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Comment

We were wall-mounting a pair of Yamaha S-115 Clubs at our church. I used the On-Stage wall mount brackets that were rated for the weight (61 lbs each for these puppies!) and use the Yamaha stand fittings.

THEN, I installed eye bolts in the top of the cabs and ran 3/16 steel cable to the ceiling beam... just in case. They sit just above our worship team. I can't afford to lose my KB player...

Comment

Just spoke to my treasurer/sound guy who said he thought we should just guy the brackets and be done with it...well that solves that.

Comment

Just spoke to my treasurer/sound guy who said he thought we should just guy the brackets and be done with it...well that solves that.
                            Your sound guy is your treasurer? That would be a dangerous combination in some churches ;-)
                            Eric Frisch
                            www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Originally posted by efrisch View Post
                              Your sound guy is your treasurer? That would be a dangerous combination in some churches ;-)
                              Yes, well, we have had to show a fair amount of restraint.

Comment

Working...
                              X