Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Ear Monitors and Hearing the Congregation

Hi everyone,
    I have an issue that I need some suggestions. I have recently started at my new church and they use in ear monitors. I like the level of control for monitoring sound. But I don't like not being able to hear my people singing. That is one of my favorite things about leading worship is hearing the people of God singing. I was thinking about trying some of the bone conducting headphones out for my "in ear" monitoring system to see if I could hear everyone singing better. Has anyone tried that? Or have you tried anything else to hear everyone singing in spite of having an ear bud clogging up your ear canal? Maybe some nice in ear monitor headphones that let sound through? Any suggestions on any of that would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Standard procedure with IEMs is to have microphones around your room to pick up the ambience & crowd. We have two hanging in the middle of our seating and two on the front of our stage pointing out. They are mixed to taste for each user. This gives you the control you want without the isolation you dislike.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Yes, room mics are definitely the way to go. There are a number of ported IEM products on the market now, but the entire point is having control over what you hear. Being able to blend the sound of the congregation back into your monitor mix to taste is the answer.
      Eric Frisch
      www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Yesterday I talked with the man who set up the sound system at our church. He showed me some tiny little bug microphones and some longer ones that he had bought to install for that purpose. But he had not been able to install them before he had been relocated for his work. Any tips for installing and mixing room mics? I know that you all would need specifics to have any idea what I could do. But I'll try to get info and pics. But if you guys have any suggestions I would be appreciative.

Comment

This might take some trial and error. if you have a way to suspend the choir mics (assuming that's what the longer ones are) from the ceiling, but you have to balance getting them placed in a spot where they are inconspicuous (not blocking someone's view of the projector screens or in a sight line somewhere) and not picking up too many ambient sounds from ceiling fans, air exchanger ductwork and main speakers.

Might start with the area between the front of the platform and the first row of chairs/pews- that could be one area where you catch the people's voices as they are facing the front and in an area where the mains are projecting beyond them and not picking up much from the mains, if that makes sense
          If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Working...
          X