X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toddincharlotte
    started a topic Live Recording

Live Recording

We are upgrading our audio/video console soon and I wanted to get opinions on the audio piece. We plan on doing live recording with either a boundary mic or a pair of omnis. I'm interested in getting opinions on mic placement and brands and models of mics used.

Our church averages 150-175 on Sundays and has 3 rows of about 20 pews and a balcony above the rear 3 pews. Ceilings are roughly 20 feet high.

Here is a good shot of what the podium looks like. The audio here is actually the built in mic in the video camera [band plays @ roughly 12 minutes in].

http://www.wbclowell.com/sermon_post...rship-service/

Guest replied
    Awesome! Sounds good, makes sense. I didn't realize what exactly you wanted recorded but using two omni mics woulds be good for that! Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Cody Patterson View Post
    Hey man,
    I just looked up one of your recent services since your other link wasn't working. I'm sorry no one got back to you sooner, I didn't see this post until now.

Are you wanting to get high quality recordings? This isn't exactly possible using a 2 mic or 1 mic setup. With that you would have the mics located in the room at equal distance from your main speakers. But the quality recording would not be very high...

My main recommendation would be to get an Audio Interface like the Tascam 1800 and plug it into your pc or laptop using the usb connection. What you would then do is take cables from the direct outs of each channel you are using and run them into the audio interface. From their you would record to a computer using some recording software (Cubase comes with the tascam unit for recording.)
    Thanks for the follow-up. Most of the live recording experience I have is with orchestras, choirs etc etc. I have done plenty of multi-tracking as you've described but we were looking for more of a "live" type solution.....something simple, straightforward that will pick up the band, choir, worshipers, pastor etc, without having to run our 32 channel mix into a A/D convertor etc.

I think we're going to run a pair of omnis right below the light rig and see how that works....potentially move them around as necessary.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by toddincharlotte View Post
    We are upgrading our audio/video console soon and I wanted to get opinions on the audio piece. We plan on doing live recording with either a boundary mic or a pair of omnis. I'm interested in getting opinions on mic placement and brands and models of mics used.

Our church averages 150-175 on Sundays and has 3 rows of about 20 pews and a balcony above the rear 3 pews. Ceilings are roughly 20 feet high.

Here is a good shot of what the podium looks like. The audio here is actually the built in mic in the video camera [band plays @ roughly 12 minutes in].

http://www.wbclowell.com/sermon_post...rship-service/
    Hey man,
    I just looked up one of your recent services since your other link wasn't working. I'm sorry no one got back to you sooner, I didn't see this post until now.

Are you wanting to get high quality recordings? This isn't exactly possible using a 2 mic or 1 mic setup. With that you would have the mics located in the room at equal distance from your main speakers. But the quality recording would not be very high...

My main recommendation would be to get an Audio Interface like the Tascam 1800 and plug it into your pc or laptop using the usb connection. What you would then do is take cables from the direct outs of each channel you are using and run them into the audio interface. From their you would record to a computer using some recording software (Cubase comes with the tascam unit for recording.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X