Worship team participant "expectations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worship team participant "expectations"

Wondering your guidelines and thoughts for expectations or rules for worship team participants. My first rough draft is posted below.

My context is the Florida United Methodist Children's Home. Its a residential care facility for about 100-110 kids, ages 10-17. Kids come for a variety of reasons. Some parents kick them out, sometimes the justice department sends them to us, sometimes adoptions fall through, kids are taken away from parents for abuse, etc. Kids stay anyway from a month or two to several years when they age out at 18. And we have a chapel on campus and function as much like a youth group as you can in this case. Most kids come from church backgrounds, but few are excited about Jesus.

I've been here at just about a year and lately we've gotten some kids into actually playing in the worship team, whereas before they didn't really. Near the beginning I introduced the "singers" model where we set up a pair of condenser mics and have 2-4 kids up near those singing along (as opposed to handhelds where the less talented kids still demanded to be heard in the mix... not good). So I have the following groups (singers, musicians, singers who get to use a handheld instead of being with the group, and people who are the leader for a particular song). Kind of focusing more on the head and heart than on things like "be on time and practice on your own."

Singers Expectations
    1. Show a genuine desire to praise God
    2. Understand humility asked of ‘worship leaders’
    3. Follow directions in practice and worship (“platform-focus”)

Musicians Expectations
    1. Show a genuine desire to praise God
    2. Understand humility asked of ‘worship leaders’
    3. Follow directions in practice and worship (“platform-focus”)
    4. Be silent when others are talking

Handheld-Use Expectations:
    1. Show you are working on improving your singing voice
    2. You must be working towards leading (solo/duo) a certain song
    3. Show a genuine desire to praise God
    4. Exhibit appropriate humility in chapel
    5. Follow directions in practice and worship
    6. Do not cause distractions; instead, help focus others

Song-Leading Expectations:
    1. Certain level of vocal-performance confidence/quality
    2. Willing to lead a prayer in worship
    3. Show a genuine desire to praise God
    4. Exhibit appropriate humility in LIFE
    5. Follow leaders’ directions in practice and worship
    6. Do not cause distractions; instead, help focus others

I guess I'm a little more big picture and less detail oriented about this. My approach is that members of the worship team are perceived as leaders in the church due to their visibility. So your actions on and off stage are going to be held to a certain standard of as an example to others. Secondly we offer to God our very best. We don't "mail in" our performances or our efforts. We desire to give God the best we have to offer, and we all strive every day to improve what we have to offer him.
    The Posse Band live performance tracks can be heard by CLICKING HERE

Comment

So who is training these kids on what 'humility' is?

Meaning, with these kids having come from backgrounds that don't really foster things like humility, so where is the level of expectation at?

I am also wondering why there is little focus on the 'be on time and prepared' aspect of it? Meaning, on the practical side, be it school, work (after they age out & graduate), two of the biggest realities they will face is being punctual (being to work on time) and being prepared (being effective when they get there). I also see it as something tangible- they can read a clock, they can 'see and hold' a song they need to learn or a lesson plan with goals and targets on it. It's developing and reinforcing a life skill. Even on my worship team and just about every one I have dealt with, there is an expectation of both 'head & heart' things like humility, but also the tangible expectations like showing up on time and prepared. So I am curious as to the rationale of not focusing on the preparedness side of it.
      If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Another consideration following the principle of "keep rules simple and to a minimum".

You need to have an overall statement for "show a genuine desire to praise God" and "understand humility asked of worship leaders" rather than repeat it for all sections. It's a small physiological change and isn't really any different but it will make your "list" seem less burdensome for those who'd be tempted to receive it that way.

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. It is definitely a unique atmosphere and approach to working with kids. I'll think on this first draft and talk with the other chapel staff. I want to shape it into something that is appropriate and realistic, and that does lead them into stepping up into greater things.

Comment

Working...
          X