Age and praise band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age and praise band

I am a 57 year old female, in a small church. I've been very active in our music program for the past 3-4 years and just in the last year really discovered I love to sing not just in choir but in an ensemble (6-8 members) and solos. We have had some issues with worship leaders and just hired a new worship leader. I was on the search committee. Our choir is really not that active anymore and I still participate but have been praying God would show me not just what he wants me to sing but how he wants me to perform it. I was thinking God would show me ways to help build our choir attendance, help our worship leader, keep the ensemble group active. We have had a praise band of 4-5 members but the lady who was the female lead left when her husband took a position with another church. So praise band is floundering. Wednesday night the worship leader approached me and asked if I would like to join the praise band. I told him I thought I was too old. He scoffed and said no I was not. I am old enough to be the mother of the other members, lol, although people have always told me I look at least 10 years younger. I told him yes of course I would join but I don't want to detract from praising God. I don't want anyone to ever be distracted from worship by seeing me up there and wondering why is she there, she is too old. What is your opinion on this? What ages are the singers in your praise bands? Our choir and the ensemble are mostly people my age or older. The praise band as it stands now is 3 young men, ages in their early 30s. There is another female I am told may be asked who is in her early 30s as well.

I wouldn't say you are too old to be on the praise team. I serve at a small church with a lot of older members. The oldest member of our praise team is 80. She occasionally has to work to control her vibrato on the high notes, but she has also been flexible enough to start learning to sing alto, which eliminates a lot of that. She also learns the new songs quickly, and accurately. I would never dream of saying she is too old.

Comment

Does your praise team sing contemporary or traditional hymns? See our praise band only sings contemporary for a special at church. Typically we have 2 traditional hymns then a contemporary for the congregation to sing. The praise band is usually up there singing with the worship leader. Then the praise band will sing a special which is contemporary. I have sung solos that were contemporary or a contemporary take of a traditional hymn. I guess I'm just worried over nothing. I prayed about what God wanted me to do music wise and this fell into my lap.

Comment

No one is too old to sing to the Lord! My praise band consists of Me- 31, Guitarist - 18, Bassist - 17, Drummer - 40ish?, Piano/Keys and Singer - 61. We have a broad group. It is great! You will bring a different perspective to your group and they need your influence and you need their influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmom View Post
          Does your praise team sing contemporary or traditional hymns? .
          We do the "blend". To give you an example, here are our set lists for 3 recent weeks:

May 19
          Come, Christians, Join to Sing (updated arrangement)
          Forever (Tomlin)
          10,000 Reasons
          You Are My All in All

June 2
          Sing to the King
          All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name (updated arrangement)
          Our God
          Awesome God

June 9
          To God Be the Glory (hymnal style)
          Forever (again)
          Cornerstone
          'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus (updated arrangement)

I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm feeling a little better now. We had choir practice last night and were going to have a praise band meeting about singing on 6/23 but I reminded the music minister I was on vacation then so no real meeting. But I did talk to the other female singer who is in ensemble with me. I was hoping she would accept the invite as she has a beautiful voice and our voices blend well. She was glad I was in it too.

Comment

Hi Dogmom, welcome to the forum!

You are never too old or too young for worship ministry. I am far more interested in people’s hearts for worship and attitudes to serving.

If you can adapt to your band, slot your singing into the part where it is most needed for the song, and truly worship God in your heart, I think age is a non-issue.

Hope this helps! How has it bee going, since your last post?

Steffie.

Comment

I agree with the sentiment here- you aren't too old. Worship teams need to represent your congregation.

I'm north of 40 now and been dong this for over 15 years, and I am on a team of 20-somethings to 60-somethings. We all bring a unique characteristic to the team. The younger people bring in a freshness and enthusiasm, us more seasoned people bring in maturity and structure.

The only time being 'too old' causes a problem is if you aren't willing to evolve, grow and change as the worship landscape ebbs and flows. An old pastor friend of mine put it like this- even though God is the same now always and forever, He is still moving forward. Doesn't mean you can't have your preferences, but things move forward and as long as we move with it, we're in good shape.

If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Working...
                X