Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your rehearsal routine?

My questions (plus my answers below):

1. What day of the week do you practice?
    2. What's the format of your rehearsal (include times)?
    3. What tech people are present at the rehearsal?
    4. Do you do a complete run through?
    5. How far ahead of time do you give the band/singers the song list/mp3s/charts?

My answers:
    We just started rehearsing vocals and band separately, so I'll answer for both.

BAND
    1. Thursday night.
    2. The band is "supposed" to be ready for downbeat at 7. We start with a brief time of prayer, and then I talk through the set. Next, we try to tackle the toughest song first. After that we'll work the main worship set with transitions. Finally, if we have time left, we'll work our ending song(s) - which are usually easier. We're typically done between 8:30 and 9:00. If we finish early enough, I like to have a more extended prayer time.
    3. Our main sound engineer comes to get a rough mix at the beginning of the rehearsal. Our creative director comes and works on Media Shout files and lighting.
    4. We DO NOT do a complete run through of the set - but I'm trying to move us toward that. I would like to run the service from beginning to end with every element but the sermon.
    5. I have my set with mp3s and charts posted by Tuesday at 5:00.

VOCALS
    1. Wednesday night.
    2. My vocals director runs the vocal practice. She starts with prayer and then works through each song by going over the arrangement then working the parts.
    3. No tech people for vocals.
    4. No run through for vocals.
    5. Right now they get the music when they show up.

Thursdays from 6 to about 8 pm. Sundays from 7:30 to about 8:30 am

We spend almost all of our time simply in practice. We pray for each other at the beginning. We have small groups, so we don't do any kind of team bible study/book study. We also take certain times out of the year to hang out and bond as a team.

Audio techs are required to be present at all practices, video techs are required to be at Sunday morning practice.

Not like a "dress rehearsal". Our people are really good at what they do, so we haven't found a need to run through exactly as it will be during the service. We do two services, and we're always changing things up in the middle of things anyway, so a dress rehearsal would be a little pointless anyway.

5. How far ahead of time do you give the band/singers the song list/mp3s/charts?

As far as possible, but it usually never ends up being more than a week ahead, and it's usually more like a day or two ahead. But, again, our people are good at what they do, and they've got the hearts to do it, so they're basically up for anything. I know our limits.

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Wednesday nights 6:45 - 9:00 p.m. Both band and vocals.
      We do a 3-song set list each Sunday, so we spend most if not all the time fine-tuning each song. We rotate singers in and out so Sunday to Sunday we have a different vocal line-up, therefore, we have to work a lot on vocal parts. The goal is to have at least 2 run-throughs before the night is over.
      Presently, our sound techs are not required to be present because our rehearsal location is different than our Sunday gathering venue. Our presentation (ProPresenter) man comes every week and "runs through" along with us.
      We attempt to make 2 complete run throughs.
      At the beginning of each month. We plan a minimum of 4 gatherings at a time, so we're able to get materials out way ahead of time. This includes vocal rotations, musician rotaions, set-lists, mp3s and charts.

In the next week or so I'll be adding vocal rehearsal tracks to the mix as well, so that each vocalist can hone in on their part BEFORE rehearsal.
      Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

We practice on Saturday from 7PM to 9PM, vocals and instruments for our 2nd hour gathering (contemporary) on Sunday. Most people show up by 6:45 to plug in and tune up/set up.

We practice Sunday morning from 7:45AM to 8:15AM vocal and piano for out 1st hour gathering (traditional) on Sunday.

We start out by talking through the set list and revisiting who will be starting a song or key instrument in a song. The band gets this info early in the week when I send out charts. After the chat we pray, do a basic sound check and start playing through the songs.

Sound tech and video tech are present

Our goal is to run through each song but we spend most of our time on transitions. We'll even stop and talk through any element that might happen during our song set or right after. That could be something like communion or a baptism.

I send out charts by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Our musicians are really good at playing at home before our rehearsal together. If we working on new music, they get charts and mp3s 3-4 weeks before we'll do the song on Sunday.

Comment

Can I get more cowbell... (ok, over used)

When I lead Worship (about 5 times/year)

Thursday form 5:30pm to 7:00pm. Band and singers.

Run through each song individually for dynamics, then do the whole set at least three times, and then do transitions two or three times (transitions = the thirty seconds at the end of one song and the beginning of the next)

One of the two tech people who will be running sound on Sunday will be with us though the whole rehearsal time.

After the each musician knows what special parts they have and how each song flows we run through the whole set three or four times.

MP3's are provided the Sunday before or on Thursday of practice.
          The list of songs and the music is typically provided to the band at rehearsal.

This program has just been upgraded to a better one but I will not write about it until we have done it for a few weeks/months

The regaler worship leader typically does the same thing but he spends all the time going over individual songs and never running though the whole thing.

The best thing ever: The "No noodling rule". When practice starts there is no mindless playing of your instrument when we are not running through a song. This is probably the best thing we have done to help productivity. It is also the most difficult thing to keep from doing.
          Last edited by Darryn; 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

How we roll...

1. What day of the week do you practice? Thursday nights from 7-8:30ish
            2. What's the format of your rehearsal (include times)? Practice "begins" at 7:00 with cheeks in seats. So vocalists typically show up a bit before or at 7 where as musicians get there with enough time needed to set up, plug in, and tune.
            For about the 1st 10 minutes or so (depending on the difficulty of the songs) we talk about the songs, meaning, purpose, lyrics, flow, difficulty and where I want us to go that night. We pray and then jump into actually playing.
            We tackle the easiest song 1st. It serves as a monitor check as well as 'working out the kinks.' I have some musicians who rotate every week and what not so the 1st song is a 'finding the groove' moment together.
            Then we'll either move through the order of worship or tackle the song that'll need the most work so that we can play it a couple times, move away from it to other songs, and then come back to it at the end.
            We wrap up by at least going through the order from start to finish and looking at beginning and ending or difficult pieces that need to be touched on again.
            Sunday morning from 8-8:30 we run through the songs in order and touch on that difficult song again if it's there.
            3. What tech people are present at the rehearsal? Thursdays - Sound Tech is the only requirement. Sundays - Sound and Media techs.
            4. Do you do a complete run through? Oh yeah! Like I said, always on Sundays and at least some form of it on Thursdays.
            5. How far ahead of time do you give the band/singers the song list/mp3s/charts? It used to be either the Sunday prior to practice or even later. I've started a new thing however just this month where when I make the rotation for the month, I try to choose 90% of the songs for the month as well and made a CD, chards, list, etc for the team. That way they know what's coming for the weeks they play. The other 10% would be if we decide to do a special song during our Worship Planning Meeting during any of the weeks of the month, or if a topical song really stands out for a certain message, or what not. But at least the band will have all but 1 or 2 songs for the weeks they are playing. Don't know if I'll be able to sustain this or how it will work out but I'll let you know.

Comment

Travis,
              Great post, bro ...

Tuesdays

We cater in or pickup food (subs, pizza, etc) and meet downstairs at 6:30 to eat together and just cut up from 6:30 - 7:00

Then, we rehearse from 7-8:30 or longer if necessary.

At least 1 sound guy, one presentation voluneteer, although lately, we have a "love it" factor going on where multiple tech/audio/projection folks show up "just to hang out" during rehearsal 'cause they love being a part of the team. I LOVE THAT!
              Typically, no - spot checks on songs we already know, more focus on new songs or tougher arrangements. If we have time, we'll play through all the songs in the setlist, but I usually cut them short during rehearsal. Because we often rotate in different musicians or singers, we do have to rehash the same parts a few times.

Goal: have all the songs/mp3/charts on Thursday for the Sunday service that is 1-1/2 weeks off. Example, on Thursday, Oct 4, I try to have the lineup and everything in PlanningCenterOnline for Sunday 14th, which rehearsal for that Sunday would be Tuesday, 9. This only gets held up when either Creative/Myself/Pastor gets behind on planning ahead on the series. We just got our info for the next 8-weeks though on the "Happily Ever After?? series.
              Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
              blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
              www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
              www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Working...
              X