No announcement yet.

How to set up your vocalists on stage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up your vocalists on stage?

We've got the musicians towards the back of the stage right now (none of them sing as well, except for the pianist). We also have 4 vocalists and then me, the worship leader. Any suggestions on how the vocalists should be set-up on stage to be more modern (not the traditional, 4 lined up across the stage style)?

You know, most churches do the "line-up"...doesn't really have anything to do with traditional or contemporary. In my experience, "Traditional" means MORE vocalists, and "Contemporary" means less. Just sayin'...
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

IMO, it depends on how you utilize your vocalists. We have 2-3 vocalists on stage, and each sings both lead and BGV, so each has a place at the front of the stage with the band spread out behind.

Nate
      Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Monitoring would be a factor here as well... if those singers are sharing monitors, then that would need to be taken into consideration if you wanted to move them.

I can't remember a time when I've seen a church that had a lot of singers and they weren't spread across the front. We only use 2 vocalists each week in addition to the worship leader, and those three folks stand evenly spaced across the front of the stage with the band behind.
        Eric Frisch
        www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Played at a church where they had all four singers on the right as you looked at the platform...with the worship leader in the middle...played at another where they put them on the left...with the worship leader in the middle.
          Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

In the past, we would have the vocalists in a line up front, and the band behind. The problem was that the worship leader (the one before me, and now me) play instruments, so we were behind the singers, and communication was lacking. When we rebuilt our sanctuary last year, we made the platform wider and slightly shallower. Now we line up across the stage drums with bass in front, guitar (me), vocalists, keys with percussion in front. I stand toward the rear of the platform, and the vocalist are at a slight angle so I can see everyone, and they can see me for signals. Works out pretty good.

Comment

We have the electric and acoustic guitar and the worship leader in the front (who sometimes plays a guitar - usually bass or acoustic). The BGV's (if not playing an instrument), stand slightly behind them, but staggered so everyone can be seen. Then the bass, drums and keys are across the back (on a riser). If an instrumentalist is also singing, they stay in their instrument position and have a mic.

We often have a BGV singer do the lead on a song or part of a song. Then that singer steps up toward the front of the platform, and the worship leader often takes a step back so it makes it more visually apparent who the congregation is to follow.

Comment

Now that you've heard from serious people, I just have to tell you --

when I saw your question: "How to set up your vocalists on stage" -- my first response was "like bowling pins".

I know, it was bad, but I just had a "Far Side" moment....

Comment

Originally posted by kepmek View Post
                  Now that you've heard from serious people, I just have to tell you --

when I saw your question: "How to set up your vocalists on stage" -- my first response was "like bowling pins".

I know, it was bad, but I just had a "Far Side" moment....
                  Yes that's the way to do it. Haha

We setup our vocalist so it is Me in the middle (leading from guitar usually), one vocal slightly behind to the right, djembe slightly behind to the left, a vocal in the back left between me and the djembe, and a vocal in the back right between me and the right vocal(this of course depends on if we have all 4 vocalists up there) Our typical setup is only 2 vocals including me but if we have more that is typical for the setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
                    You know, most churches do the "line-up"...doesn't really have anything to do with traditional or contemporary. In my experience, "Traditional" means MORE vocalists, and "Contemporary" means less. Just sayin'...
                    I agree with you, thanks for sharing own experience.

Comment

My one suggestion is not to call it a stage since worship is not entertainment. We always call it a platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X