Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youth worship leader

Hello
    My name is Hannah. I'm a young worship leader for my youthgroup, composed mostly of middle school boys, just starting their relationship with Christ and learning what it means to worship. I only have an acoustic guitarist for my band. Two man band. After my electric guitarist and pianist went to college, I was left with a very limited supply of do-able worship songs, all of which are very girly, slow, and maybe too mature for the group. My guitarist is extremly talented and a great leader. Can anyone reccomend some songs that might fit an acoustic feel but would still appeal to middle schoolers. Maybe ones that don't sound too 'girly'?
    Thank you so much for any feedback.
    -Hannah

Welcome to TWC, Hannah! Glad you found us! Hope you find the resources you are looking for here.

I'd love to answer your question, but I'm curious to know your definition of "girly." There are lots of great praise and worship songs out there, but it's gonna come down to how they will be received.

With my own impression of non-girly songs, here is what I would suggest (if they are not too difficult for teenagers to pick up):
    Mighty To Save
    Blessed Be Your Name
    Indescribable
    Friend of God
    Awesome God (Classic oldie)
    Majesty (Steve Fee version)

You can also check out praisecharts.com for more. With the use of YouTube you may find some examples of playing some of the more complex songs in a simpler manner. Some songs even have tutorials of how to play them. It may take some work, but I'm sure you will find plenty. Praying many blessings for you and your ministry. God bless!
    Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
    BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

Comment

Songs like Majesty, you won't relent, fall afresh. Acoustic often sounds very sweet. The pastor called my voice girly which is good. Reign in us how he loves us theey all sound love song-y not like praise fun energetic like I am free to run or sing sing sing.. you know?

Comment

The only thing I'd suggest is not to get too caught up in the 'energetic' stuff because they also need to learn that real worship involves more than 'Happy Day" and 'Friend of God'. It can give them the wrong mind set to where that's what they expect and the only thing they consider 'praise and worship'.

So don't be afraid to balance it out. Stacking the deck too heavy one way or another isn't healthy. Like you said, they are just starting to understand what worship is, so you need to give them a well-rounded exposure.
        If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannah420 View Post
          Songs like Majesty, you won't relent, fall afresh. Acoustic often sounds very sweet. The pastor called my voice girly which is good. Reign in us how he loves us theey all sound love song-y not like praise fun energetic like I am free to run or sing sing sing.. you know?
          I see you are asking for some junior high relevant songs that are appropriate for Acoustic:

Fast songs:
          Happy Day - Tim Hughes
          Rise and Sing - Steve Fee
          No One Like You - David Crowder
          Marvelous Light - Charlie Hall
          Trading My Sorrows(oldie but goodie) - Todd Agnew
          Every Move I Make(oldie but goodie) - David Crowder
          Glory To God Forever - Steve Fee
          Take It All - Hillsong
          Go - Hillsong(really check this one out it is great)
          Greatly To Be Praised - Steve Fee
          Promises - Desperation Band
          Counting On God(maybe with some jumping and pointing up or something as moves) - Desperation Band

Slower songs:
          Give Me Faith - Elevation Worship
          At Your Name - Phil Wickham
          Our God - Chris Tomlin
          Forever Reign - Hillsong
          One Thing Remains - Jesus Culture
          Stronger - Hillsong
          You Never Let Go - Matt Redman
          Always - Kristian Stanfill

Those are all songs that can be done acoustically and are great for boys/men(and females of course)

All these songs are best played in the keys of either: G, A, or B. Happy Day or Stronger being the exception. Happy Day and Stronger can be played in G, A, B, or C depending on your group, C is probably good for Junior High Boys

Hope this helps!
          Last edited by Cody Patterson; 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Hi everyone! I am new in this forum.I'm a young worship leader for my youthgroup, composed mostly of middle school boys, just starting their relationship with Christ and learning what it means to worship. I only have an acoustic guitarist for my band. Two man band.
            kickexam
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elance
            https://www.facebook.com/Elance

Comment

Older thread, but here's my 2 cents anyway! If you are a "band" with only one instrument (guitar or piano), or even if you just don't have a drummer/percussion, you're probably not going to be able to pull off a lot of the "happy-happy-joy-joy" songs that are out there. Without the drums and rythym to drive them along, they will most likely lack the punch to make them effective anyway, expecially with a youth group!

My advice would be to be yourself. Focus more on medium tempo songs for now, and just model to your kids what authentic worship looks like. Because getting them to jump around, have fun, and be interested in what you are doing is a good start, but teaching them what worship really is...priceless!

Comment

As a solo acoustic guitarist, I am of the opinion that this instrument is incredibly versatile, and can work solo--even with songs that are known to be more conducive with a full band.

I, for one, loathe worship songs that are overly dependent upon an outside musical riff between the lyrics. Stop it. Just stop it. Each musical riff outside the lyrics detracts from the lyrics. They do not add to the song. An acoustic guitarist can strip these distractions away and focus on the song itself.

Secondly, for the boys, you need to do a combination of songs that are both/alternately fun and expressive, AND, heavily doctrinal. Songs that give them energy, and, songs that will force them to learn. Rearrange an old hymn, acoustically, repeating certain phrases so that they won't go in one ear and out the other.

Conversely, stay away from "looooooove" songs. You want to challenge them. You want to engage them. You want to teach them. They will not be immediately open to songs that sound girly.

Thirdly, and this is most important (but cannot be done until the other two above are done), learn the art of the proper tone. Understand the three-to-five popular phrases of a single chord, up the neck. Learn how to use the cut capo. Not just at the second fret, but the fifth fret, the seventh fret. Learn how to use multiple capos--not to show off, but to employ the very best tone for the song.

Here's a hint: while a chord usually consists of three notes, ([r]oot-[3]rd-[5]th), there are chord variants that consist of two notes ([r]&[5]). These tend to have a rockier vibe to them. The E-chords from the 2nd-fret cut capo are a great example of these. This is the best tone to aim for.

I am convinced that when you employ all these, and stay sensitive to the needs of the group, in both issues of what they are going through, and in what areas of doctrine--both practical and internal--that they have yet to grow in, and then master the correct musical tones on your acoustic guitar, you will reach them far more effectively.
                Nick Alexander
                Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
                Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
                Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

anything Hillsong in the past five years sounds great acoustic. This is proven with their Hillsong Chapel Albums they have been releasing.

Comment

Lots of good older songs that they might enjoy on acoustic if you go back to the days when all a lot of churches had just some acoustics and singers.

Lord I Lift Your Name On High
                    People Get Ready
                    Oh Lord Guide My Feet
                    Jesus Lover Of My Soul
                    Does Anybody Hear Her?

Also, there's a TON of Darrell Mansfield stuff they might get into:

It Takes God To Build A Home
                    Never Been To Seminary
                    Backsliding Blues
                    God's Radar
                    This Is The Lord's House
                    The Mission
                    Trouble
                    Nobody But You

(I Bet You Can't Tell I'm a BIG Darrell Mansfield fan, huh?)
                    The Posse Band live performance tracks can be heard by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Originally posted by DunedinDragon View Post
                      Lots of good older songs that they might enjoy on acoustic if you go back to the days when all a lot of churches had just some acoustics and singers.

Lord I Lift Your Name On High
                      People Get Ready
                      Oh Lord Guide My Feet
                      Jesus Lover Of My Soul
                      Does Anybody Hear Her?

Also, there's a TON of Darrell Mansfield stuff they might get into:

It Takes God To Build A Home
                      Never Been To Seminary
                      Backsliding Blues
                      God's Radar
                      This Is The Lord's House
                      The Mission
                      Trouble
                      Nobody But You

(I Bet You Can't Tell I'm a BIG Darrell Mansfield fan, huh?)
                      I favor the idea of using some older songs as well. It's just my opinion, but it seems like the great majority of the newer worship songs coming out only sound good with a full band, usually of fairly accomplished musicians. In short, they were written by large churches, and they are really for those larger churches. Which is fine, if that's what you have to work with!

But for those of us in smaller churches, and/or who don't have great musical and composing/arranging gifts, most of these songs I find don't fit our context. Some of them we can find ways to arrange them in a suitable way, and for the few instruments we have But most honestly, we can't.

The nice thing is, especially working with youth, they may not even remember these "older" songs, so they may think you're cutting edge on the song front!!!

Comment

Wow! Glad I found this thread. It's Wednesday. So, I'm once again trying to find something new for youth and found this thread.

The new ones that have worked really well the last year or so for me are:

I Will Follow - Chris Tomlin (Great message! There is no song that kids pick up faster period. I've done it at about 3 different places. Kids pick this one up immediately and love it.)

Lay Me Down - Passion - (Fast, rockin', awesome message.)

God, You Are My God - One Sonic Society - (Great funky chorus that youth love...even though it's basically a ballad.)

Sacrifice - Big Daddy Weave - (Older song; great echo-verse; did this with youth for years.)

You Are Holy (Prince of Peace) - Older, classic youth song with echo-verse and girls-guys melody-descant on the chorus.

Surrender - (This is the perfect, groovy invitation song. It's awesome and is basically a sinner's prayer.) We have a lot of "unchurched" kids midweek and this one really fits the bill.

I'd be happy to help with a video re. doing any of these with acoustic only. Just message me.

Comment

Working...
                        X