A fun question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fun question!

How many of you here lead worship for children?

Our children's church service follows the United Methodist Order of worship, we have praise music (live band), a sermon or story, use drama, and have our youth group heavily involved.

I would love for other childrens leaders that are here to discuss how they do their service,etc.

-peace in HIS holy name

james

James -
    Just for clarification - as odd as it may sound, please break down the age group - what you are calling "Children".

In our church, for example - we have 4 different ministry environments for "children" ...
    1. Tiny Town (birth through 3 years old) - no music
    2. The Attic (Pre-K, K) - no music
    3. Kid Jam (1st-5th) - canned music, but with singers, dancers, drama, acting ... having a live band and worship leader is in my "master plan".
    4. Rush Hour (Middle School Kids) - live band, their own worship leader
    5. Inside Out Youth (High School Kids) - live band, their own worship leader

Hope that helps. I know I did a "cover" of The Who's "Pinball Wizard" not long ago for Kid Jam and it was a blast!
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

I'll list ours as Fred has listed his:

We have currently 5 environments for those from Birth to grade 12.

Waumba Land - Birth - Kindergarden
      We have a nursery for those from birth to age 3. We then have a large group service for those age 4 to Kindergarden. It is mostly a couple songs played through a CD player with one person leading the singing and actions.

Upstreet - Grades 1-5
      This is our Sunday morning environment for Grades 1-5. This environment includes singing to DVD with dancers (PowerUp team) leading the actions. It also includes storytelling, drama, large group activities and a small group time.

Kidstuf - Grades 1-5
      This is a really great environment we do the first Saturday night of everyone month. Dubbed "where kids bring their parents to learn," Kidstuf is our premier foyer environment for families. It is a place where anyone, believer or not, can come to teach their kids virtues that any parent would like to instill in their children. We also have taken part in developing a portion of this widely-used program called "ParentStuff," where Parents can learn how to take the lessons they are learning at Kidstuf and apply it at home. Kidstuf includes singing to pre-recorded tracks, drama, storytelling, and fun games.

Xtreme - Grades 6-8
      Xtreme is the first environment where kids get the live-band experience. It is on Sunday mornings and includes a live worship experience, a short message, and small group time.

InsideOut - Grades 9-12
      InsideOut is our environment for highschool students. It also includes live worship, a short message, and small group time.

You can check out www.trinitycommunity.org to see more information.

Pat Dryburgh

Comment

Hey Pat,
        Looks like somebody else may be following the Northpoint model, eh!?
        Just added your blog, btw.

After replying to this, I decided to upload my crazy "Kid Jam" song (parody) of The Who's Pinball Wizard .. not meant to hijack the thread, but just to answer some of the stuff WE DO for kid's music:

posted here ...

But please, continue the conversation.
        Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
        blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
        www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
        www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Hey Fred,

We are actually a strategic partner of North Point. In fact, we are the only strategic partner in Canada.

More details about our relationship with North Point will soon be available at our new site, www.connexuscommunity.com

Pat

Comment

we are doing a service for K - 5 currently. We have Youth Fellowship on Sunday Evenings for 6 - 12th grade(this is led by a youth band and youth leaders).

What a blessing this site has been already. Some awesome things here. I have so much to learn...

Comment

We actually have our children sit in our worship service, then they go to their classes. I believe they are doing some kind of John Piper material for kids. I tell you what, there's something awesome about a grown man with one hand raised and the other holding his one-year old son. Or to see kids, even through they don't quite get it themselves yet, imitating their parents as they worship. Or to see the point when a child starts to authentically worship for the first time. This is not to say that there's anything particularly wrong with children having separate services.

Comment

Working...
              X