No announcement yet.

Would you be offended by this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all have our ways... From the sounds of it.. Based on the email you sent.. Your rehearsals are stressfully frustrating .. Thus having to send that email.. My rehearsals run very smooth, and we do our own take on the songs.. As I said, the videos I send are to best depict how it will sound.. But certainly not bang on. Rehearsing at home gets them familiar with the song.. Which then allows for more improv.. Which we do a lot of.

Also my bass player had never touched a bass until the day i approached him and asked him to take it up.. He played cello prior to tat.

An additional thought.. Based on the other thread you have.. Being new in a church and changing things (even when asked to make changes).. Can be really hard. When I started at my current church, I was asked to change things.. And changed things to the way I wanted them.. And got a lot of resistance.. From the congregation.. And the worship team.. I'm guessing your team isn't use to the way you do things.. And it might be worth asking them if that style is working for them.. While in your eyes in may be the best way to do things, if it's not working of the team, maybe ask them how they want to do things.. And gradually change things, instead of just changing it all overnight. I had to bite my tongue and sit with the worship team, see where they were at, and also talk with the congregation to see where they were at. It means change doesn't happen as quickly as we would like, but it is more accepted.. And then over time, it can get to where you want it.

Churches are fickle.. And they dont like change.. They will accept gradual change.. But if you try and change it all over night.. It wont go over well, with the team, or the congregation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisburke; 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburke View Post
      We all have our ways... From the sounds of it.. Based on the email you sent.. Your rehearsals are stressfully frustrating .. Thus having to send that email.. My rehearsals run very smooth, and we do our own take on the songs.. As I said, the videos I send are to best depict how it will sound.. But certainly not bang on. Rehearsing at home gets them familiar with the song.. Which then allows for more improv.. Which we do a lot of.

Also my bass player had never touched a bass until the day i approached him and asked him to take it up.. He played cello prior to tat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I appreciate your thoughts. No, the frustration is in people not observing basic rehearsal etiquette, and not respecting one another and their leader. Having said that, this thread is about primarily a communication issue.

Comment

Next rehearsal, bring a water canon.... the first person that gets out of line gets it.... just kidding.... hehe.

Comment

Shawn, the problem with electronic communication is your verbal tone, eye contact, and body language (and by extension, the love you intended in the message) are not part of the equation. While I don't have any problem with your email, I'm not personally invested in your worship team, and artists can be very touchy about criticism even when it's not directly related to their art.

While you're still in the honeymoon phase of your tenure, I'd stick with personal delivery of critical feedback... and encouragement, too. Use electronic communication for delivery of stuff like times, dates, and other matters that are factual, not opinion, and truly apply to all that are receiving the message. Once you have made a few deposits to the relationship "bank," I think you're team will relax a little.

Best wishes and I pray that this snag will be soon overlooked by you and your team!
          Dave
          "Rock On" (Matt 7:24-25)

Dave Brown
          facebook.com/7.Funk.7.Master.7
          twitter.com/funkmaster777

Comment

For those who might want to know how this has turned out, here is an update. I had meetings with all but one person on my team (still trying to corner him) and the "face to face" cleared things up in a hurry. I'm learning that how to deal with people who have "strong" personalities, which has always been an issue for me. Thanks for your encouragement!

Comment

Dealing with those who LIKE to cause Drama...

Yes, face-to-face is better, although I am one of those whose interpersonal skills need help. I tend to chicken out via voice/email.

Am a keyboard player - Recently had a situation on our team, where our leader questioned how I was working with our singers. A few days after I had left a phone message asking for a one-on-one rehearsal with her, he reminded me of her family and other commitments, telling me to let our singers choose their own material (we were going to work on her suggested song, and one other that I had recommended to her) and to let them do solos 'their own way'. All because I wanted to meet with the singer outside of our group rehearsal, to establish things like the structure and key of the song. Am still wondering how he found out about the voicemail I left for the singer.

When I finally got around to meeting with the singer, I found that active listening helped - I asked her if she was feeling pressured from me or others on our team, and she responded, expressing her support of my rehearsal methods, despite the other person's questioning. Seems our leader called her, and told her that her trouble was "not being able to tell people no".

Cleared the air, and made me feel much better...

Comment

Working...
              X