What's Coating Your Worship! Heart or Vanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Coating Your Worship! Heart or Vanity

Worship in a basic meaning means to glorify God, give glory to God, to ascribing worth to God. With time we have assumed a revelation of worship passed from people’s experience and opinion and we have made it our own. This I say because the first time I joined a worship team people told me of their experiences in worship and not what the bible say about worship.

Worship isn’t kneeling, singing, dancing, painting, wailing, lying prostrate, falling facewards, crying and all other expressions. These expressions help us show God the attitude in our heart and they reflect our hearts. What is coating our worship?

“Then the king Nebuchadnezzar fell upon his face, and worshipped Daniel, and commanded that they should offer an oblation and sweet odours unto him”, Dan 2:46

“O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker [in reverent praise and supplication]”, Psalms 95:6

“Sing to God, sing praises to his name; lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts; his name is the LORD; exult (worship) before him! Psalms 68:4

“Sing to the LORD, worship (bless) his name; tell of his salvation from day to day”, Psalms 96:2

“So I will worship (bless) you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands”, Psalms 63:4

In all these verses the one thing that does stand out is that I will come before God will bow down, lift my hands, sing, fall facewards and then we worship. You see that worship isn’t in bowing but it’s the bowing catapults the worship to flow from deep within man.

We have replaced the manner that God desires us to walk in and have taken the word of the many preachers of this world and we do not even study the word to hear what the word says about worship and the manner that God desires us to worship Him as.

Even King Nebuchadnezzar fell upon his face and then he worshipped Daniel, worship was preceded by falling upon his face. Christians think that if I just lift my hands, dance, read the bible or sing then I have worshipped God its beyond that.
    When you look at these verses you will realize that such actions aren’t worship but kneeling, bowing, falling facewards, dancing are expressions and without a man’s heart, spirit and attitude they are vague expressions and meaningless before God.

Are you one of those worshippers who has learnt to make our expressions our worship, we no longer offer our hearts, mind, attitudes and bodies and now we offer lip services to God which is coated with expressions without a heart.

I am reminded of a quotation that says “I would rather that my heart be without words than my words without a heart; this article’s focus, is that our expressions of worship be a direct reflection of the condition of our minds, heart and attitude. Let us not replace our worship with singing, lifting of hands, falling facewards, dancing, painting or any other worship expressions. Your worship at this place would be coated by vanity.

It is when we bow, sing, lift your hands in an attitude and with a heart of worship that real power is released from the throne room and the ability for one to commune with God becomes a reality. God is not looking for stretched hands he wants the one person stretching the hands whose stretched hands is coated by the heart.

What is coating your worship your heart or its just lip service.

“Worship Him In The Beauty Of His Holiness”
    Worship Him In The Beauty Of His Holiness

www.theworshipofgod.blogspot.com

Hi bishop,
    I have to correct you on this post because it's simply not scriptural.

Worship isn’t kneeling, singing, dancing, painting, wailing, lying prostrate, falling facewards, crying and all other expressions.
    Actually in both the Hebrew and Greek that is exactly what worship is, it's not an expression, it's the actual definition of the word. There are several words used in both the Hebrew and Greek for worship but the most commonly used are shachah in Hebrew and proskuneo in Greek.

shachah literally means to bow down, to prostrate oneself before a superior. It is used of worship 99 times but also translated "bow" 31 times. If one is bowed to God, this by definition is the purest definition of the Hebrew word. This is not an expression of worship but IS worship.

Additionally proskuneo means to kiss the hand as a token of reverence, to fall upon your knees touching the ground with your forehead in profound reverence, kneeling or prostration, to do homage, express respect.

So these words in the original language depict a physical act, meaning if someone is worshiping, this is what it looks like.

I believe I know what you are getting at, it's possible you are focusing on gazing upon God more than the physical attributes of worship. This is fine, it's just you might consider the use of another word like meditate or an expression such as "behold His glory".

When you look at these verses you will realize that such actions aren’t worship but kneeling, bowing, falling facewards, dancing are expressions and without a man’s heart, spirit and attitude they are vague expressions and meaningless before God.
    So with all that said, I'm really not sure how someone on their knees with their face on the ground is not worshiping in the purest form. I will not judge their heart nor will say what they are doing is meaningless before God, you'll have to ask Him that

Comment

Wow thank you for that explanation but the point that i am am making is that we have taken those things such as kneeling, bowing etc and bring ourselves to a place where we can worship without them

can we worship God without lifting your hands, bowing, kneeling

there is worship beyond those expressions and actions

thats what i am driving at

Comment

Hi bishop,
        There's reason I'm taking the time to go into detail here and it's because of certain assumptions you are making.

First I'd like to again look at the Hebrew, this time with the scriptures you mentioned.

“Then the king Nebuchadnezzar fell upon his face, and worshipped Daniel, and commanded that they should offer an oblation and sweet odours unto him”, Dan 2:46
        c@gid translated worship 12 times, to prostrate oneself, do homage

“O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker [in reverent praise and supplication]”, Psalms 95:6
        shachah (mentioned earlier)

“Sing to God, sing praises to his name; lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts; his name is the LORD; exult (worship) before him! Psalms 68:4
        praise - zamar trans praise 26, sing 16 times, sing praise, sing forth, to make music
        Here you have worship in parentheses but the word extul here is calal - to lift up, cast up, exalt, esteem highly

“Sing to the LORD, worship (bless) his name; tell of his salvation from day to day”, Psalms 96:2
        You have the word worship but it's really bless which is barak translated bless 302 times to bless, to kneel, to adore

“So I will worship (bless) you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands”, Psalms 63:4
        Again the word here is not worship is also bless or barak see above

You have to be careful of transposing words in scripture, we should neither add to or subtract. "Bless" and "worship" are two different words with completely different meanings. Sometimes a word in Hebrew can be translated into different words in our English translation but that is not the case with these words.

Listen, the reason going into this detail is to correct some assumptions here, not to necessarily do a word study. Can we "worship" without lifting hands, bowing and kneeling? Yes, that is possible. However those "expressions" are what the words actually MEAN! So if one is bowing, you can NOT saying they are not worshiping because the word means to bow! These acts are the purest meaning of the root words. I'm also concerned that you are making judgments of other peoples worship. This is the main reason I'm responding to this post. We are not the "worship police" determining what is acceptable worship and what is not. I'd be very careful of this because the Bridegroom will contend for His bride. Jesus is to determine what are acceptable "sacrifices of praise" not us. We have no idea what someone else is going through or even if we do we still are not to be judge of them. Most cases in the gospels where folks judged others worship, Jesus always sided with the worshipper. You never know, those so called "expressions" you say could be someones alabaster box. Leeland

Comment

I might have put my point across and my heart is that we just do bow, kneel sing or do all these and not have the reverence of God

even the children of Israel offered their sacrifices but theri hearts and attitude came to a place where God has disdain for them and i trully believe that when we worship with our hearts and attitude then our action bowing will have a deeper meaning.

i really want us not to give lip service but to give worship from our spirits, soul and body. i hope that clarifies the reason why i wrote the way i wrote this acrticle

Comment

I think I get what you are saying, Bishop: We can go through all the right motions for worship, but if our heart is not worshiping, the motions mean nothing, and God is not honored.

This is something I struggle with, and I'm sure most all of us do. Sunday morning rolls around , and we go "worship," whether our hearts are worshiping or not.
            Tom

Comment

I am not sure that dissecting the original Hebrew word is relevant in this case. If we are to take a strict literal line on the word's meaning in Hebrew, then 80% of today's church doctrine and practice on 'worship' would classify as not Biblical on a hair-splitting technicality.

The fact still remains that our outward display is meaningless without the inward reverence. It may be 'worshiping' in the physical sense of the Hebrew word, but that doesn't imply it reflects what is in the heart. Most of the parables of Jesus called out the religious leaders that they were performing the physical tenets of worship and prayer, but they were hypocrites (translated from the Greek hypokrites, meaning stage actor) because they were acting the part but not living the part.

I'm also concerned that you are making judgments of other peoples worship. This is the main reason I'm responding to this post. We are not the "worship police" determining what is acceptable worship and what is not. I'd be very careful of this because the Bridegroom will contend for His bride.
              We do have a responsibility to understand what is acceptable worship and what isn't- and the leaders have a responsibility to share it with others. We need to be careful of this because if we offer something as "worship" that is done in the wrong heart and self-serving motives, God will not accept it (Cain's sacrifice to God not accepted in Genesis 4, Saul making Samuel's sacrifice resulting in Saul's dynasty being one that "would not endure" in 1 Samuel 13, Jesus telling those who cast demons, etc. "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" in Matthew 7). We aren't to judge what others are doing in the aspect of condemning it, but we need to keep it in the front of our minds collectively that just because we stick the 'worship' tag on something doesn't mean it will be received by God.

This is important to understand because a large part of our current church culture is a Burger King "Have it Your Way" church, where we can come how we want, sing how we want, pray how we want, and worship how we want. This is a dangerous spot to be in, because the Bible is very clear that God doesn't accept worship in any form that is in the wrong heart and mindset.
              If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike on Bass View Post
                This is important to understand because a large part of our current church culture is a Burger King "Have it Your Way" church, where we can come how we want, sing how we want, pray how we want, and worship how we want. This is a dangerous spot to be in, because the Bible is very clear that God doesn't accept worship in any form that is in the wrong heart and mindset.
                Well said, Mike. I would venture to add, at the risk of being chastised, that a large percentage of worship leaders and team members are primarily performers, rather than true worshipers. Been there, done that.
                Tom

Comment

This is a good discussion, I'm really enjoying this.

I don't think looking at the Hebrew is hair-splitting. In fact even if we stick with the scripture by just reading in English there's a clear distinction between the words praise and worship in context, we just call everything worship. I pointed out the Hebrew to show this but even if use the English scriptures bishop quoted, it's not good to swap out words they way he did. To bless is completely different than to worship.

In studying the difference between praise and worship, I've come to the conclusion that there is a specific body posture for each. Bishop like many of has lumped all together into one thing worship, however I think what he is really is saying that praise can be done with a distant heart. I no longer believe true expressions of worship can be faked.

Without going into all the detail (seems the Hebrew is not being well received) praise would be classified as expressions of lifting hands, clapping, dancing, jumping, rejoicing and even kneeling with hands raised. Certainly you could be kneeling while praising but most of the posture is standing.

Worship would be classified as bowing, on hands and knees, laying prostrate or otherwise in a posture no longer standing.

It's certainly possible to praise and not be reverencing. It's possible to praise and it be "lip service" as you say and half-hearted. In the American church it's easy to blend in offering praise that looks just like everyone around us and our hearts not be in it. In New England there are services I've been in of over 1000 people with only one (upper balcony) raising their hands. Everyone looks like statues but afterwards said how grateful they were of the worship. Looking at the people I couldn't tell if they were mad at me or rejoicing.

Bishop when you say
                  dancing, painting, wailing, lying prostrate, falling facewards, crying
                  I think it's important to point out that things things might happen in less than 5% of the American churches. There is NO freedom to even do these things because it's commonly NO ALLOWED! There's only one church in New England that's I've been to where it's even free even do half those expressions. I would love to see that on a regular basis. So to criticize these people is ridiculous.

I believe it's hard to fake worship on your knees with your face on the ground, try it. Try lying prostrate and not worship. Many times I have entered a place of worship after getting on my knees. In these times I'm able to reverence more after changing my posture to that of a deeper place of worship. The point I'm making is that true reverence changes ones posture. To look at someone in a worship posture and imply they are not offering true worship is judgmental.

Comment

Working...
                  X