Worship Team Attitudes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worship Team Attitudes?

So one of my newer guitar players with a good heart, but sometimes not the best tact, tells one of my seasoned guitar players (who is ok but not as good as the newer guy) also with a good heart that when they share the stage this Sunday that he (new guy) will play the hard stuff and you just play power chords. I know that is not a big deal, but you know how sensitve we artists are. Seasoned guy decides he has had enough and now I have to deal with the new guy. What do you suggest?

Maybe a lesson in being humble for the newer guy??? I have only been a worship leader for a little more than a year. But, one thing that I established up front with my team was that constructive criticism is allowed within the team, as long as it's done tactfully, respectfully and with a good heart. I would stress this to your team and also let them all know that you (the leader) have the final say on who plays what. This might help to eliminate conflict amongst members. Hope this helps. Scott...

Comment

Thanks Scott. It is crazy, but it seems no matter how long i have done this the hardest part seems to be dealing with the attitudes. I think you are right though. I just hope the damage that has been done can be reversed and everybody can move on.

Comment

You need to provide some leadership here. While the ideal is that egos get checked at the door, it is up to you to set the tone, and make sure that vets and newbies all understand the culture of the team. You need to manage the band in such a way that different roles are assigned, and people can step up, step back, and feel good about their place on the team. The "lead" roles should vary from song to song between guitarists, singers, etc. If they cannot deal with this in a constructive way, maybe their heart is not yet ready to serve God in this place and time. Best wishes and blessings ...
        Dave

Comment

Sounds to me like both of these guys need an attitude check. If the seasoned guy is going to get upset and leave, either he's way too sensitive, or he's allowed this to go on for way too long without properly addressing it. If I were in your shoes, I'd sit down with both of them together and explain how things should have happened and how things need to happen in the future. Apologize to both of them for any role that you played in not addressing this earlier, and explain that you'll help to keep both of them accountable to communicate well with each other in the future.

Nate
          Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Here's a thought

I attend a large church, play acoustic and electric guitar, sometimes lead and sing frequently as a part of a worship team. One thing that works for us is to have roles clearly defined previous to rehearsal, and through Planning Center clear direction is given to each instrumentalist. It's understood that if you play Electric guitar 1 you will cover any lead lines, as acoustic guitar/electric 2 would primarily play the acoustic and as needed cover those power chords on electric, etc. It is through an audition process and communication the roles are determined. If someone has an issue with the assignments, which ideally would be dealt with prior to any rehearsal, protocol would be to see the worship pastor directly. Primarily of course is to have a heart to serve and be used of God in whatever capacity you are privileged to serve.
            Last edited by newdaytoday; 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

You've got good feedback here.

Going forward, it will be about communication.

On our team, we have 2 people (me and one other) who do the planning together. And then one of us will run the practice and get everything together for the team (we switch off on that). When I'm not running the practice and I have a "spur of the moment" idea, it always goes to the person running the practice first (and privately).

It's always OK for someone on the team to say "what if we try this". But no one on the team (other than the leader that week) tells the others what to do. And we try to do it as an "ask", not a "tell".

Although I personally want to avoid every appearance of "performance", it is good to let everyone shine in some way. Aren't there a lot of scriptures about putting others first???

Comment

Ah, the drama of musicians...

Not to echo everyone else, but attitude and ego both need to be addressed.

'Seasoned' guy probably feels threatened by 'new' guy because 'new' guy has different strengths, and it makes 'seasoned' guy's weakness stand out- egos don't like that.

'New' guy probably plays certain things better than 'seasoned' guy. Egos like that a little too much

Sit them down and explain they re both adults and it's not a competition. Yes we 'artists' can be sensitive- but we also have to be honest with ourselves. We also need to have thick enough skin to take some less-than constructive criticism at times.

'Seasoned guy' should be seasoned enough to understand that it's up to him how much authority 'new guy' has in influencing attitude. Meaning, let it roll off his back.

'New guy' can be guided in how to approach people and give feedback to someone in a way it can be received.

Both can learn to work together, compliment each other's strengths and learn from each other.

From a leadership perspective, get both to commit to each other and you give and receive fruitful, open and honest communication.

Mike
                If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Working...
                X