Worshipping Without Songs or Instruments or a Dance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worshipping Without Songs or Instruments or a Dance

For a whole two years we have been learning that worship is all about glorifying God, bringing honour, magnifying God. Worship means to honor God, respect God, to exalt God, to serve, to bless God, to prostrate, to sacrifice or give, to be in submission, to bow down and also to adore.

Worship is all about glorifying God that is the simplest definition we can put, but we have seen as well that singing is a form of worship. Singing, dancing and playing instruments is a form of expressing our worship to God. It is not the whole worship but a form, a way to express our worship to God.

In the body of Christ today people believe that the 3 praise and 3 worship songs we sing along on a Sunday service is worship. We are satisfied with just 30 minutes of singing along 6 songs and we say that is worship. Think about this a day has 24 hours and a week has 168 hours, so for the 168 hours in our week we only worship for 30 minutes a week. What will we be giving God for the rest of the week?

If there are no instruments, we do not worship. “If Tim my favorite worship leader is not there I don’t worship”. Come on grow up! So you worship God because of Tim, the Almighty God, and our Creator 30 minutes in a 168 hour week because of Tim. To some that’s worship, so if you are worshipping God on a Sunday so what are you giving God from Monday to Saturday, Grief or a prayer list? Think about it.

The first time we see instruments coming into mainstream worship in Israel is when Miriam takes a tambourine and sings a song to God in Exodus 15:20 “And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances”. Think about this, how did Adam and Eve worship in the garden; they neither had instruments or dances. I don’t know if they had songs. The point is God is worshipped even without instruments, dances and even songs. God is glorified more by a life that walks in Holiness, a life that sacrifices its live to make sure that God is lifted up. How Abraham, Lot, Jacob and Esau how did they worship God in their time. Their lives offered up God worship more than just songs.

Look to the start of this article, Worship means also to serve God, worship also is to show reverence that is living a life of humility and submission to His will. Worship is also seen in just surrendering your life even without singing a song, surrendering your heart, life and will to God, that is worship without words and it blesses God more than the songs we sing absent minded.

Worship is purpose of mankind and don’t get me wrong singing, dancing and instruments are a way to express our worship and I love it as well. I am a worship leader, dancer and percussionist. What I am against is taking the worship we do in church as worship. “Hey I am a worshipper because I can sing beautifully”, one girl said to me after asking her why she wants to join a choir but then her life didn’t even show God that she worshipper. Worship in church should just add on top of our worship which we offer daily.

Worship is not just singing, worship is also a life that has chosen to be set apart to bless God. If you understand this then worship to you will come beyond words. Worship is bigger and greater that singing. Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you what worship is and once learned. Worship God rightfully and bring him glory always

“Worship Him in the Beauty Of His Holiness”
    Worship Him In The Beauty Of His Holiness

www.theworshipofgod.blogspot.com

The means have become the end

I agree- we are in a culture where the means of song and dance along with an emotional experience is what 'worship' has become. In reality, it's always been a side effect of the ministry. It's been the source of a lot of the music wars and other drama that have plagued the church since it's started using music.

It's up to us to counter that by teaching our congregations about what worship really is and the true purpose and history of music and worship within the church. In my nearly 10 years of Christian life, I can't count the number of sermons I have heard on tithing, the beatitudes, the sermon on the mount, feeding the 5000, or a dozen other topics, but a total of two on music's role, history and evolution within the church- both very condensed and taught by the same guy.

We all need to be reminded that worship is a lifestyle, not a music style.
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Excellent article, Bishop.

In our church, music is not the main attraction. Since our new pastor came 3 months ago, we have had to shorten our music time, because of the length of his messages.

Our primary focus, as we gather on Sunday mornings, is not about the emotional high (often mistaken for worship) we can have while singing; rather, it is the breaking of the words of Life, the "rightly dividing the word of truth," the teaching of God's Word by a gifted, godly pastor.

I have often worshiped as I sang; but only recently have I found myself lost in worship as our pastor explains to us the truth of the Word of God; showing us the incredible mercy of God, as seen in the Old Testament, and revealed in our Savior in the New Testament.

Yes, we sing praises to God, and I worship Him as I sing, but it is the worship that arises from my spirit as I understand better Who God is and how He operates, that brings about change in me and motivates me to love him more, and the world, less.
      Tom

Comment

@Bishop, thank you for sharing these thoughts. I can tell you are very passionate about this. I hope that you continue to have opportunity to remind and point people to this unchanging truth in your church situation, and that the Spirit will empower this to take hold in the hearts of people.

You are right that we "sell" worship very short when it becomes only about the few songs we sing together on Sunday morning. That is a a part of worship, but from from the totality of it. I actually wrote recently about the same idea of the "Disconnect of Worship" and "When Worship Doesn't Work" on my blog. (The titles in quotes are links.)

@Wannabe - How exciting to hear about the job your pastor is doing to bring the Scriptures alive, connecting the Old and New Testaments, and in drawing you and others in to the fullness of the story that is God. May he continue to know the Lord's blessing and empowerment of the Holy Spirit. May the worship in your church grow in response to the declaration of truth.

Comment

It is fun and encouraging to read the comments from worshippers across the globe. I would say from my stand point on music is that I try to use it to set the tone of the overall worship setting. Its awesome when the worship music has the exact message as the sermon and as the bible verses for the week. It sure brings the message closer to heart and when the message matches the music it creates a bridge to connect the words of a song to the words of God. When that is accomplished the worship experience is truly amazing.
          Have yo0u ever attended a worship service where nothing blended? Maybe you enjoyed the music and felt connected to that part of your Sunday hour, but the message was ,,,well boring, non inspired and the two didn't relate to each other? How about the other way? Perhaps the music left a lot to be desired and weren't even close to being relevant to the weekly message, yet the sermon and bible readings were out of this world.
          Food for thought that should be thought about every week.

mike c.
          I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

Working...
          X