Dress Code For Your Worship Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code For Your Worship Experience

I am a fairly new Worship Leader. With this being said I still have a ton to figure out and then when I do I'll have a ton more. What I am approaching at this point is how should my team dress on Sundays? Do we all try to match a certain style? Just a color scheme? What do you guys do in your church and how do you overcome personal finance obstacles. I am not in a large church, and where my church is located there aren't many people with lots of disposable income. Not to mention getting consistency is a struggle especially because I don't have a large pool to draw from in the talent arena. Advice would be very much appreciated!

We just wear jeans or whatever. As long as we don't look messy. I wear shorts quite a bit in the summer. You may want to talk to your lead pastor about it, first, though.

Comment

dress for worship

A goal for me when I am leading worship is to do what will be most conducive for people to connect with God. Dresswise, I would take a look at the congregation and the pastor, see what they're wearing and use that as your base. I don't think matching colors or styles is necessary unless that's expected at your congregation. I would encourage my people to dress respectfully of the Lord and the congregation. That opens it up financially speaking. Nearly everyone has a pair of slacks and a collared shirt, or whatever else might be appropriate for your congregation.

Comment

The only thing I tell our band is to look at who is coming to our church and dress accordingly. Our goal is to connect with the people we're leading in worship. We have people in their 60's in our band, and a few fresh out of high school...I'm not even going to try to ask them all to dress similarly to each other. The young musicians need to observe what their peers are wearing to church, and dress in a way that will connect with them...the same for the older folks.

Nate
        Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

We have several guidelines that apply to anyone who will be on the platform for a Sunday service. No jeans, no sneakers, no t shirts, neat appearance. Ladies have some modesty standards regarding necklines and hemlines. That's about it.

Our church is still the kind of place where some people wear suits or put on their "Sunday Best" to come to church. Others wear jeans, etc. We try to split the difference.

Comment

I think everyone has touched on this, but the goal is to not be a distraction from worship. Most people know that wearing dirty clothes, not bathing, wearing shirts that say Megadeth etc are not the best attire in most semi-formal situations. Conversely, wearing a suit to a pool party is also just as distracting. (We have a person on our worship team who does this. It was an ongoing discussion how awkward his involvement with the worship team was becoming. I found a way to divert him to another ministry, but these situations can happen from time to time.)

It's probably good to have a list of ideas or options for your group to consider, but try not to be legalistic about it. I would start by modeling what you feel is appropriate first. In the mean time, work to earn the teams respect through consistency and relationship building. Then when you feel that you have established the credibility as a leader, tell them the goal and give them the options to strive for.

Comment

I mix it up, usually kinda bizcasual, sometimes jeans and chuck taylors, sometimes a tie (and occasionally a sport jacket or suit). I insist the team dress modestly, the pastor doesn't like shorts. I guess I like casual but nice, show some thought and care into what you wear.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen_can_man View Post
                I think everyone has touched on this, but the goal is to not be a distraction from worship. Most people know that wearing dirty clothes, not bathing, wearing shirts that say Megadeth etc are not the best attire in most semi-formal situations. Conversely, wearing a suit to a pool party is also just as distracting. (We have a person on our worship team who does this. It was an ongoing discussion how awkward his involvement with the worship team was becoming. I found a way to divert him to another ministry, but these situations can happen from time to time.)
                You had a member who wore suits to pool parties?

Comment

I don't think we have a laid out dress code, but everybody dresses respectfully. I wear jeans pretty much exclusively, and have nice dark pairs for nicer events. No ridiculous graphics on my shirts (I don't own anything like that anymore anyways), no holes, etc etc. I'm probably the only guy on the platform that dresses with jeans and a tee, but the dress of our congregation in general is all over the map.

I think the general rule is just be respectful. Watch the plunging necklines, wear something clean and don't make a massive fuss. I've never been in the "Sunday best" camp, but then it probably helps that I was saved right out of high school with no Christian family. That particular tradition bears no significance in my life.

Comment

dress code

Really depends on both your church culture and even what part of the country you live in...

For our church in CA, it's pretty relaxed. Clean, modest clothes. Shorts in the summer are ok cause it can get really hot.

For a large choir I'll give them a couple of general guidelines to avoid unpleasant suprises.

Our teams never worry about color coordinating...just not a big priority.

Comment

We have no dress code. Come comfy! We don't do the whole matchy matchy thing. Personally I wear jeans and a cute top, flip flops or heels depending on what I feel like that morning.

Comment

I don't think Christ worried too much about what he was wearing. Dress within your means and appropriately. As a woman I try to wear something that doesn't call attention to myself. Nothing big and splashy, nothing too form fitting. I just want to be a part of the background. I want the focus to be on the Lord and the truth in the words we are singing. A lot of times I wear black pants and a very simple top. It's appropriate, doesn't offend anyone, doesn't show a lot of leg and doesn't call attention to me.

Comment

This is one that will be dictated by your pastor, Board, etc.. At my church I either dress business casual or a suit. No sneakers, no t-shirts, no messy hair (even though that seems to be the style), no five o'clock shadows, etc.. The Pastor wears a suit. The organist and piano player dress comfortable and are presentable in appearance. Not necessarily business attire yet they also do not look like they are headed out to the beach or frisbee golf (which is fun) right after the service. If someone is doing special music I ask that they have a clean and nice appearance. They are not required to dress up. The choir maintains a clean and nice appearance as well.

We want the church members and visitor to feel comfortable and come as they are without the idea that they must dress up. The Pastor and I are the only two that are actually asked to wear business clothing or a suit for the Sunday service. The other services during the week, we dress clean and presentable.

Faith in Christ
                          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RStrait View Post
                            This is one that will be dictated by your pastor, Board, etc.. At my church I either dress business casual or a suit. No sneakers, no t-shirts, no messy hair (even though that seems to be the style), no five o'clock shadows, etc.. The Pastor wears a suit. The organist and piano player dress comfortable and are presentable in appearance. Not necessarily business attire yet they also do not look like they are headed out to the beach or frisbee golf (which is fun) right after the service. If someone is doing special music I ask that they have a clean and nice appearance. They are not required to dress up. The choir maintains a clean and nice appearance as well.

We want the church members and visitor to feel comfortable and come as they are without the idea that they must dress up. The Pastor and I are the only two that are actually asked to wear business clothing or a suit for the Sunday service. The other services during the week, we dress clean and presentable.

Faith in Christ
                            Rich
                            Are you sure we don't attend the same church?

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                              Are you sure we don't attend the same church?
                              So many likenesses. Amazing how God works. Plus, great minds think a like!

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X