Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologizing to Gay People???

Worshippers,

I came across this article a few hours ago and have been filled with conflicting feelings ever since. Thoughts?

Originally posted by El Ben View Post
    Worshippers,

I came across this article a few hours ago and have been filled with conflicting feelings ever since. Thoughts?

It seems to me that we are instucted in the bible about how we are to deal with immorality. Not just homosexuality but all forms including adultery and others. I think we cease being obedient when we oppose the bible that was inspired by God.

However I guess man could have more wisdom than God in some things, I guess it's possible.
    Not a chance!!!

Comment

I think the article is spotlighting a much needed springboard that will encourage dialogue between the church and the gay community. Like the previous post, the Bible is clear on how to deal with immorality and we need to stand firmly on the word of God. However, there's a difference between "I'm sorry for how you've been treated" and "I think what you're doing is great!"

I sometimes wonder how I would deal if one of my children became (chose?) homosexuality. I know that no matter what, I would continue to love them deeply. However, I can also disagree with their actions and let them know where I stand. As I would do with any sin in their lives.

I think it's a shame that some in the church are so shocked when they see real love and compassion being shown to the homosexual community. A Christian man hugging a homosexual? Gasp! A Christian hugging a prostitute...an adulterer, a liar? Who'd a thought? I wonder what Jesus would have done if He were there...

I'm a part of a witnessing class at church and the last few semesters we've been called to some of the "worst" parts of the community. Our team in particular ministered in the apartment complexes around a mosque, and another team continually visited an area called "sin city", where drug dealing, gangs, and sexual perversion are rampant. But the funny thing is, the more a person is immersed in these areas the more you begin to see beyond the labels and really get to see the people. That's when the relationships develop.

So love the homosexual community, reach out, apologize? Yes, if we're apologizing for blatant discrimination, hate, or for turning our backs on the very people we need to be witnessing to. But we also must continue to keep Biblical values as the cornerstone of the church.

I believe we can do both.
      All that hath life and breath, praise ye the Lord!
      In His Name,
      Kim

http://soundcloud.com/inhisname

Comment

Well, I know love precedes repentance. Will this display of love lead to repentance? Stay tuned.
        Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
        BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by WorshipVanguard View Post
          Well, I know love precedes repentance. Will this display of love lead to repentance? Stay tuned.
          Agreed. Sounds like this is a ministry that begins with a statement, which begins a conversation, which hopefully turns into a relationship, that will bring them closer to Christ, who will then do the transforming.

Comment

If you have ever read the testimony of Christian songwriter Dennis Jernigan, you know that God has brought him from a life of homosexuality to become an advocate for freedom from homosexuality.
            It was the friendship of a straight Christian man; who modeled non-judgmental, patient love with Dennis, that brought him from Satan's shackles to freedom in Christ.
            You can google Dennis or FB him and read his testimony.
            Tom

Comment

Uh, no I don't think that will work. It just seems like they are affirming the gay community in the wrong way. Although I understand that Christians have been mean spirited and condemning, this kind of demonstration reaks of, "we were wrong and you were right, it's ok to be gay." This is not what the signs said, but it could easily been misunderstood that they are ok with gay.

Take off the shirts, put down the signs, go over and make some genuine friendships and show them God's love. Stop the PR crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe a Worshiper View Post
                If you have ever read the testimony of Christian songwriter Dennis Jernigan, you know that God has brought him from a life of homosexuality to become an advocate for freedom from homosexuality.
                It was the friendship of a straight Christian man; who modeled non-judgmental, patient love with Dennis, that brought him from Satan's shackles to freedom in Christ.
                You can google Dennis or FB him and read his testimony.
                Tom

We've been given the ministry of reconciliation. This could, and should, apply to every situation including gays.

How about apologizing to jews, muslims, other denominations, blacks, native americans, etc..etc..etc...

Not many of us would have a problem with that if we felt a burden for them.

I'm at a church in Germany that has blessed so many jewish people because they are not afraid to ask for forgiveness of things they themselves are not guilty of.

It really melts the ice and opens the door for mercy when we can use identificational repentance, which is a biblical concept found in the book of Daniel.
                8-)

what? me worry?

Comment

The goal of the church vis-a-vis the world is not "reconciliation." It is invasion. I think these people have forgotten that they are foreigners living in hostile territory and that they have a specific mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambekzx View Post
                    The goal of the church vis-a-vis the world is not "reconciliation." It is invasion. I think these people have forgotten that they are foreigners living in hostile territory and that they have a specific mission.
                    Help me understand what you're saying, please. Who are you referring to when you say "these people"?

2 Corinthians 5:17-19 (New International Version)

17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
                    8-)

what? me worry?

Comment

I wonder if Jesus was advocating promiscuity with the woman at the well? Or if He was saying that Adultery was okay when they wanted to stone the woman who was caught? Jesus didn't care what the "church" thought if Him when he ate with sinners and tax collectors. The only opinion that matters is that of the Father. If the demonstrators' motives are honest, the Father will bless them.

Comment

Originally posted by yod1948 View Post
                        Help me understand what you're saying, please. Who are you referring to when you say "these people"?
                        I meant the people in the article. That verse you quoted is exactly what I mean. Reconciliation is not between the church and the world. It's between GOD and the world. We are the messengers.

Provided, if the messenger has sinned in the past against the person to whom he is evangelizing, then an apology is in order before delivering the message. If you killed someone's wife, I doubt the husband is going to want to be evangelized by you unless somehow that wrong is reconciled.

I think this is what the people in the article are trying to do. But their efforts are so unspecific and general that anyone can read anything into what they do, making their message even something that not only does not point to Christ, but could be interpreted as condoning sin. That tells me they're not keeping their eyes on their true purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambekzx View Post
                          I meant the people in the article. That verse you quoted is exactly what I mean. Reconciliation is not between the church and the world. It's between GOD and the world. We are the messengers.

Provided, if the messenger has sinned in the past against the person to whom he is evangelizing, then an apology is in order before delivering the message. If you killed someone's wife, I doubt the husband is going to want to be evangelized by you unless somehow that wrong is reconciled.

I think this is what the people in the article are trying to do. But their efforts are so unspecific and general that anyone can read anything into what they do, making their message even something that not only does not point to Christ, but could be interpreted as condoning sin. That tells me they're not keeping their eyes on their true purpose.
                          But the article describes this as a ministry. Therefore, I don't think that is the end of the story, but rather the beginning. I think if you take what they are doing in the context of other protesters with signs that read "you are going to Hell" I think people get it. People will read into anything, the pharisees did with Jesus and yet Jesus persisted in His ministry. I don't think people's assumptions determine the call of God nor the effectiveness of a ministry.

Only people who followed Jesus intently knew the specifics of His ministry. What most people got where healings, strange parables, and someone who spoke as if He knew what He was talking about. But somehow they knew love when they saw it. Most people did not hear Him declare that He was the son of God and His purpose on the earth. That was mostly reserved for the disciples--and they didn't even get it most of the time.

I'm curious what you mean by their purpose to be "invasion" and can you reference that for me?

Comment

I highly recommend spending time with Andrew's blog - Love Is an Orientation - before completely disregarding what this church is doing. You may not end up doing the same things that he does, but I don't thing you can easily conclude that he is watering down the Gospel so that he can be near gay people.
                            Tony Hartsfield

Comment

Andrew has built something here that I really admire in that the Marin Foundation REFUSES to answer a yes/no question on the issues surrounding homosexuality because they exist to be a bridge between the Church and the LGBT community.

I think this is a brave stance, because for over five years, Andrew has ignored impassioned commands from both sides to take a side. Still, he maintains the Foundation's role as an impartial mediator. I admire the bravery in this. It's kind of how the facilitator of the Presidential debates doesn't take a side during the debates, he just facilitates the conversation.

As for me, this article stirred conflict in two areas:

1.) The area that is absolutely disgusted with how the Church treats homosexuals as if their sin is exclusive in its offensiveness to God.

2.) The area that can't deny what the Word says about homosexuality.

I'm still trying to balance the books, so to speak, with my emotions on the issue. Overall, I think the act mentioned in this article was beautiful for what it was. I think the act is easy to misunderstand on both sides of the issue, but I also think that it doesn't have to be understood to be appreciated. Forgiveness is always a beautiful thing.

That being said, I believe that this issue will be the issue of our generation. In the same way that abortion was the issue of the past generation, I believe that this is the issue of ours. Here's what I see coming in the future:

1.) We will see legal gay marriage in 10 to 15 years. Maybe sooner. Churches will not be required to ordain it, but the State will legalize it. If there is not a massive revival or awakening at some point in the near future, this is an inevitability.

2.) We will see openly gay people serve in the military in no more than 5 years. They will face widespread persecution at first, then everything will die down and the issue will be largely ignored. I have no problem with any LGBT person defending my country. Patriotism isn't exclusive to sexual orientation.

3.) The church will begin to endure pretty strict persecution for their stance on homosexuality and it will become impossible to be both popular and a biblical literalist. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Persecution has always acted as a purifier. If the Church is truly the Church, she'll endure.

What I fear is that the church's right to dissent will be threatened. I'm uncomfortable with the thought that anyone's belief could be outlawed based on it's cultural acceptability. I fear that we, the Church, (with the advent of the Religious Right and the so-called Moral Majority) have sown into this reality and will reap it as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X