Worship Team vs Sunday School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worship Team vs Sunday School

Hey guys....I'm new here and really enjoy reading the discussions!!
    I have a mini-issue. I had a situation where my drummer could not make the usual Saturday practice. I asked him to be in early on Sunday to run over songs for the Palm Sunday Worship. He said he'd be in Sunday school and could not make it until it let out. I was taken back by this and told him so. I've just always felt that that providing Worship, especially for this weekend was more important than Sunday school. He took a hard line and said it was more important to him to attend Sunday School. Was I out of line to try and impose my personal feeling that WT takes precedence over SS?
    BTW - If someone misses practise and wants to sing/play I always ask that they arrive early on Sunday. He's the only one that has said no so far.
    I'd really appreciate some unbiased feedback...

Quick thought...

My first thought is do you have a backup drummer? Let him go to Sunday School. IMHO SUnday School is about learning at the feet of Jesus. So I can't dispute him wanting to go. My issue is that your drummer signed on to serve the body and is choosing himself over serving the body. That is how I would see it. Honestly, I think it would hurt me because I would want servants who would choose the body first. I would see this as your drummer choosing to feed himself first over the body.

I can't fault him though - because he is choosing to feed himself... and so many are not doing that anymore.

Hope that doesn't feel like I'm riding the fence. It is just a difficult subject.
    If no drummer - Go Acoustic. Strip it down before a BIG easter.

Hope that helps. May you be blessed and the Spirit grant you wisdom and peace.

K -

Comment

I think this situation is really about personal convictions/preferences. He thinks SS is more important, you think practice is more important. Neither is wrong or right.

Having said that, what you need to do is have a "guideline" "rule" whatever you want to call it that requires any member of the band to practice on Sunday morning if they miss your normal practice time. Although, IMO, your drummer is being a bit hard-headed and slightly disrespectful to your authority (I'm assuming you have actual authority), you really can't force him to submit or criticize him if there is no rule about the situation.

Nate
      Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

That is ceratinly a predicament. Although I admire his conviction about attending Sunday school, I must side with you on this. No practice, no play.
        He could not make the original practice, then refuses to go to the make-up practice. No practice, no play.

Sunday School is a big part of peoples' lives. But being involved in such a big ministry obligation like worship team requires sacrifice and commitment. what troubles me is that you aren't asking him to miss SS every week or anything, only when it is necessary. What's next? Can't get to practice 'cause i eat breakfast? Then what do you do when others can't make it, then you don't have anyone at practice.
        Love the Lord your God with all your heart with your soul with all your mind and with all your strength!!

Comment

I'm with worship on this one, although I wish more of the worship team actually attended sunday school.

My rule is, and always has been, very simple:

If you don't rehearse, you don't play. Period.

Smitty
          Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

I agree as well - No practice, No play... our congregation deserves someone committed to leading them in worship. Maybe the drummer has another gifted area he can serve in?? (I know it's tough!) But, if he isn't dedicated to the team you really don't have him anyway...

Comment

I think that if your drummer is consistantly missing practices then there is an issue of commitment. Also, you need to consider the skill level of your drummer.

If you have an advanced drummer who feels comfortable with any or most songs than I think you should be fine with including him in worship. Although if your drummer is not as advanced and you feel like his abscence will hurt the team, then you might not want to have him play.

I think it's also a heart issue. If your drummer has the heart to serve and if he values the practices but just happened to miss one, then he should be ok.

Although I know exactly what your going through. It's happened to all of us.

Comment

My drummer is pretty consistent in attendance but so far he's been the only one to refuse coming in early if he misses a practice. He is a good drummer but we have a new bass player that needs the interaction with him to get tempos, dynamics and endings down. I do believe he is being hard headed and I'm only asking him to miss 1/2 hour of SS. My heart tells me he's trying to pull Church "rank" on me because he's a long time member and older than me. He's also unfortunately my best friend at church which makes it even worse. Funny that he sought council and was told that SS was more important and then told by a church elder to compromise. His idea was to come in extra early 8-9am then go to SS. While this sounded good, I felt I was already compromising by showing up early on Sunday (9:30am) and to ask the rest of the team to alter their schedule for him is unfair in my eyes....he obviously doesn't see it that way and thinks I'm being hard-headed.

Comment

Add one more to the " no practice, no play" rule. The commitment to rehearsal is just part of being on a WT. By agreeing to play, one is agreeing to the rehearsal schedule. Just because they are volunteers *does not* mean that they can excuse themselves from the authority of the WL whenever it may be inconvenient for them. Anyone who decides to "pull rank" is completely missing the point and should be asked to step down for a period as it is obvious that they may have some pride issues that must be dealt with.

I have my own thoughts regarding SS, but if it is soooooo important that he go, maybe he can get the notes from the leader and study the material on his own so he can rehearse as his original commitment to the team dictated.

Just my thoughts............

Comment

I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but I'm used to it.

Why isn't the rest of your team attending Sunday School? Why aren't you?

That's not a dig, BTW, but a question. Is your SS only for beginners? If so, and he feels he is there, then I would suggest that attending is more important. But milepost13 is right, you need to have a rule. And if the rule is "no rehearsal, no play" (which is ours) then that's what it is, and you have no drummer that week. And you need to show him that you're willing to do that.

Perhaps a solution is that you rehearse from 8-9 and then attend Sunday School together as a team. That will do wonders, by the way, to demonstrate leadership and unity to the rest of the congregation.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
                      I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but I'm used to it.

Why isn't the rest of your team attending Sunday School? Why aren't you?

That's not a dig, BTW, but a question. Is your SS only for beginners? If so, and he feels he is there, then I would suggest that attending is more important. But milepost13 is right, you need to have a rule. And if the rule is "no rehearsal, no play" (which is ours) then that's what it is, and you have no drummer that week. And you need to show him that you're willing to do that.

Perhaps a solution is that you rehearse from 8-9 and then attend Sunday School together as a team. That will do wonders, by the way, to demonstrate leadership and unity to the rest of the congregation.
                      My drummer is 54 years old and has been saved for over 30 years. As far as the rest of my team...they DO go to Sunday school. What we do is practice on Saturday and then sound check at 10:00am for the 10:30 service (we have a 20 minute window to SC and go over songs) The reason I don;t is that SS is from 9:00 to 10:00 and as WT leader I have a number of things that I do prior to the sound check. One of which is accommodate those that didn;t make practice on Saturday and are required to get in early Sunday to go over arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
                        I actually like that idea but my problem is that 1 hour isn't enough time to go over arrangements, work on new material and fit in special music. The main problem is that we're more of an electric band in the mode of say...Journey. When I run into issues like this I usually just opt to go acoustic where the arrangements, endings, etc are less critical.
                        I think what's really bothering me is that this is Palm Sunday and it just strikes me odd that to celebrate Christ giving his all for us...My drummer is being what I perceive to be selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Razsan View Post
                          His idea was to come in extra early 8-9am then go to SS. While this sounded good, I felt I was already compromising by showing up early on Sunday (9:30am) and to ask the rest of the team to alter their schedule for him is unfair in my eyes....he obviously doesn't see it that way and thinks I'm being hard-headed.
                          OK...ALL of the info from the start would be really nice. You've been offered a compromise. The thing with "compromises" are that each person usually has to make a sacrifice. Our band is here by 7:30am and stays until 12:30pm EVERY Sunday...it's what we love to do and it's really not that difficult.

My new advice to you is, accept his compromise or go with plan B and get off his back. Again, until you have a hard-set rule that everyone agrees to, you have little ground to stand on, especially when he is willing to compromise.

BTW, although we have a "rule" about no practice/no play, it's a flexible rule based on each given situation. Most of my musicians are competent enough to easily jump into any setlist without much group practice. You may not be in that situation, which means you may need to be less flexible. But, every gray-area rule should have some bend to it.

Nate
                          Last edited by milepost13; 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM.
                          Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
                            OK...ALL of the info from the start would be really nice. You've been offered a compromise. The thing with "compromises" are that each person usually has to make a sacrifice. Our band is here by 7:30am and stays until 12:30pm EVERY Sunday...it's what we love to do and it's really not that difficult.

My new advice to you is, accept his compromise or go with plan B and get off his back. Again, until you have a hard-set rule that everyone agrees to, you have little ground to stand on, especially when he is willing to compromise.

BTW, although we have a "rule" about no practice/no play, it's a flexible rule based on each given situation. Most of my musicians are competent enough to easily jump into any setlist without much group practice. You may not be in that situation, which means you may need to be less flexible. But, every gray-area rule should have some bend to it.

Nate
                            See, to me his offer is to make 7 other people adjust their schedule just because he's being hard-headed about leaving SS 1/2 hour early. How is that a compromise? The problem we have is that I adjust arrangements and modify songs depending on my team for the week (we have a 6 singer rotation and 2 different rhythm guitarists). Our bass player is new to Praise and Worship and really needs the interaction with the Drums (we play Tomlin, Brewster, Camp, Baloche, Hillsong, etc)
                            Guys, I appreciate the feedback and I think we'll just do without a drummer this week. My issue now is that I feel let down and bullied by my best friend at Church and need to deal with that.
                            Please pray that the Lord gives me guidance...

Comment

Our solution was actually to eliminate our non-Sunday reheasal time. (We used to do Thursday nights.) I originally opposed this vehemently, but am happy to say I was very wrong.

We rehearse from 7-9am on Sundays. This gives us time to run through everything, and work out anything for our complete set of eight or nine songs. Plus we usually have forty-five minutes to an hour for new music or vocal rehearsals for the album we are doing.

We don't have a general "Sunday School" (we do that in small groups) but we do have a school for new believers at 9. All of our team members have completed the school, so usually we all have breakfast together before service.

Like Nate, we're there from 7 to about 1. But, I give 9 hours a day, five days a week to man, I can give a half day to God, no sweat.

Comment

Working...
                              X