Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young worship team members and parents

Hey everyone,

I am the worship director for our youth at our church. We have a wonderful musician and man of God who started a School Of Music ministry for about a year now. The ministry is strictly for young kids who want to learn instruments. The kids vary from 5-16 years of age.

Some of the kids have learned really quickly and have already begun to play worship songs.

Some of these kids, who have begun to play at youth night, are still young (around 15) and need to grow spiritually. I have tried to keep these kids accountable and tell them that they need to be servants and regularly attend our youth services and to show that they really want to be a part of the team.

Our youth worship team has recently been invited to attend a conference and lead worship for a service. My job now is to make the teams.

I am faced with a difficult task! I need to involve the people who have been dedicated and now the young bucks want in on it too, even though they are not ready for such an event.

I now have angry parents come to me and complain about why their son or daughter is not involved in such an event. I have to tell them that they are not ready and that they need to grow, yet their emotions get the best of them.

Also, one parent (who is also a church elder) has 2 sons in this circumstance.

Any advice will greatly help!

I don't think that it's unreasonable in the least to only take the older kids, especially if you are limited in how many you can take. There will be other opportunities for the younger ones.

The important thing is that you come up with a criteria for going and stick with it, so there is no appearance of favoritism. This can be with the team certain amount of time, above a certain age, whatever. That way, there can really be no argument. Also, I would make sure that your senior pastor is on board with you, and supports whatever the cutoff is.

Comment

My advice would be to:

1) stick to your guns when speaking to the parents. They have a different interest in mind in seeing their child play than you do in having their child play. Keep in mind the purpose of your worship team. People who can't play well (younger and older alike) can be a detriment to worship.

2) Let the younsters play whenever you can get an appropriate spot. Try to work them in somewhere, maybe even if for just a small part during special music in a service.

3) at their age, see if possibly a youth band could maybe be formed where they could play there more regularly.

4) Go easy on their spiritual maturity. Young people mature in different ways, at different speeds, and at different ages. At their age and level of involvement, I would concentrate on their musicical abilities more than their level of spiritual maturity. It would be a great thing if they could mature spiritually AS they play and grow musicially.

Comment

Hey,
        All good advice. I have a policy where I say "write it down". Write out the vision of the school. Show the requirements on paper, and have them agree to it. This way, you have something to backup why you make your decisions, too.
        Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
        blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
        www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
        www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

We've (our youth department) has discussed doing something like this with our team, however I've written out moral guidelines, as well as make it clear to my musicians and vocalists (both current and upcoming) that we have HIGH expectations of them as it regards spiritual maturity, skill, attitude, and morals if they expect to be put in a position of leadership, which putting them on stage IS. I've had at least 2 convo's last month with people who want to be on stage now where I've had to be honest and say, "I just don't think you're quite ready" then told them the changes that I'd like to see before I'd start risking my own reputation - and Christ's - on putting them on stage. Also, don't be afraid WHAT-SO-EVER at being honest with parents - even if sometimes it'll put you in an awkward situation - talk to the youth pastor to be sure he's behind you on it, first, but if a parent has an issue, set up a meeting with them, bring the youth pastor along, and let them know where you see growth, and where you are concerned. I've found that setting the bar higher at first shakes things up (w/ youth AND parents), but later results in greater respect and harder working youth musicians. That's my take on it...

Comment

Shannon,
            Expert advice from a pro ... good stuff, all the way, man.
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

any time I involve a student in our teams, I include the parents in the process. Take care of these issues up front, and you won't have to deal with them on the back end.

Nate
              Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Working...
              X