"Overcome" by New Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Overcome" by New Life

Anyone else using this song? We'll be learning is ASAP (I posted some of my thoughts about the song and why I want to use it here)...would be interested in hearing how you're doing it.

What recording/arrangement are you using? I typically prefer to go from the original artist/band who recorded a song, so I think we'll be listening to New Life's version...I'd also love to use the last part ("this is my story") that you hear/see on the video because it is a fairly well known hymn to people in our church (although it is the last track on their "Counting On God" album).

Anyway, what are you doing with this song?

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

I brought this song to our WL...he loved it! I think we will be adding it to our rotation...I certainly hope so! The video of this song, and the story behind it, is SO moving and powerful. If any of you haven't seen/heard this song, you can catch it on cclitv.com.

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Hey, that video has been the "Featured Video" on the homepage at http://www.theworshipcommunity.com now for a couple of months (we need to update that, eh!) ... and Integrity emailed us the "song story" a while back to post ... need to get that done.
      Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
      blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
      www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
      www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

We introduced Overcome 2 weeks ago and our people are really getting into it for only hearing it twice now. We haven't done the "This is my story.." part yet but probably will next time we do the song.

Have your guitarists seen this video about the slide guitar used in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Tdz9o7Lls

My guitarists LOVED learning how to do this...they'd never tried something like it.

Comment

Thanks for the video!

Nate
          Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Our Church has been doing this song for about a year now. We picked it up as soon as Desperation Band Released 'Everyone Overcome' Its a decent little song that always seems to get a huge reaction, but I think it sounds too countryish when we do it. I am hoping to find a way to make it less country.

Comment

Originally posted by matreames View Post
              Our Church has been doing this song for about a year now. We picked it up as soon as Desperation Band Released 'Everyone Overcome' Its a decent little song that always seems to get a huge reaction, but I think it sounds too countryish when we do it. I am hoping to find a way to make it less country.
              I can see how that could easily happen since it is in 6/8. More than likely, it's you drummer that is creating the country feel...listen again to the recording, especially to the groove (drums & bass guitar) of the song.

Nate
              Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
                I can see how that could easily happen since it is in 6/8. More than likely, it's you drummer that is creating the country feel...listen again to the recording, especially to the groove (drums & bass guitar) of the song.

Nate
                Actually, the real trouble is the guy who leads the song. He has a very country voice. Our main worship leader doesn't do the song often. However when he does it has a much more bosa nova feel, and is more appealing to me. However when our fill in leader does music it tends to sound more country as he has a more hillbilly sound to his singing.

Comment

Working...
                X