!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writing A Book On Worship For Kids: Need Your Opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing A Book On Worship For Kids: Need Your Opinions!

I and a fellow worship leader at Sojourn have started writing a book on worship for children who are between the 5th and 7th grade. Our aim is to provide sound theology (that of course doesn't go over their heads) and to teach, at the most basic level, why churches do what they do in corporate worship services and how it relates to all of life.

I'd love to hear from all of you: what would you want to see in a book on worship for kids this age? What should be included, for sure?

Also, at what age do kids in your church begin attending the "grown-up" service instead of (or in addition to) a children's Sunday School? From birth? 5th grade? Graduation from high school? Other?

Bobby,
    Our high school youth attend our main services, as their "youth service" is on Wednesday nights. During the Summer, our Middle School youth are in service as well.

I think there is a huge gap in our music that's targeted for this demographic, and can't wait to hear more about what you are coming up with.
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Originally posted by bobbygilles View Post
      I'd love to hear from all of you: what would you want to see in a book on worship for kids this age? What should be included, for sure?

Also, at what age do kids in your church begin attending the "grown-up" service instead of (or in addition to) a children's Sunday School? From birth? 5th grade? Graduation from high school? Other?
      I'd want them to know that singing is only PART of worship but it IS part of worship, if that makes sense. God calls us to live lives of worship, walk humbly, love justice, etc but He also calls us to SING praise to Him. I want kids to know that.

Kids have their own Sunday morning worship/small group service until they're done 5th grade. When they're in jr. high they come for the worship/community parts of the service but they have their own teaching time.

Comment

I think this is a GREAT idea, and wish you luck!

I guess some points I would like to see in a kids worship 101 would be:

What is worship? Is it the songs we sing, the silent reverence, etc.
        Why do we worship?
        Where did worship begin in the Bible? Was it like our services today?
        How can I worship? Do I have to lift my hands, clap, dance, etc.

I think it is important for the young people of this generation to learn the basics of worship, and how/why they shouldn't wait until they are an adult to do it. I wasn't taught any of these things growing up....it was do as they do and do as they said. (Monkey see, monkey do)
        I think I missed out on some great times with God because I was a late bloomer in the worship realm.

Comment

Thanks so much to each of you. These thoughts are a big help, as Lorie and I begin to frame an outline.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has thoughts on what they'd like to see included, formating, etc.

Comment

I would include a number of the scriptures that call us to worship... several Psalms for sure... perhaps have a homework that includes memorizing a psalm. Even include one of David's "complaint" psalms that shows how he expresses confidence in God at the end of it.

I would also grab some worship lyrics from currently popular worship songs as well as some of the lyrics from old hymns to give them an appreciation for some of the beauty and value of songs from "another era".

Comment

This may seem obvious, but I have seen it overlooked all too often in the area of worship. Keep the focus on God's glory. Who He is and what He's done. It's for those reasons that we worship Him at all.

If there is a way to creatively work in the concept of Revelation and Response so that the kids can get that ingrained in them, all the better.

Definitely a worthwhile project and I applaud you for taking it on!

Comment

Thanks guys -- great thoughts. We do want to write about the psalms of lament and deliverance, and we've been thinking about including pieces of songs, old and new. And definitely, we want to have the focus be God's glory rather than man-centered worship.

Gary: "revelation and response" is the main thing we've been talking about the last couple days. We want to make that concept stand out.

Comment

Any other pieces of advice or ideas? Feel free to jump aboard at any time.

Comment

Bobby,
                    I'd love to see practical, kid-friendly examples and teaching of physical responses to worship (ie. clapping, raising hands, etc).
                    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
                    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
                    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
                    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Thanks Fred; great idea. We're definitely going to include info on stuff like why it's good to clap, lift up hands, sing out loud, etc.

Today -- the portion of the day where I'm not trying to figure out if I can somehow retrieve a few blog articles and drafts that were lost in sojournmusic's migration to a new host -- I'm researching a number of books on worship theology. Good stuff.

My partner has escaped research/writing work this weekend by singing in a wedding and reception.

Any more thoughts?

Comment

Writing A Book

Kids learn more from what they see us do than what we tell them. If all they know about worship is that it's something grown-ups do while they go to children's church, then the best thing for them is to see and experience what worship is. Include some videos of worship--music, prayer, praise. Everything that magnifies God is worship. How about a book that gives the church a series of projects where they have to show kids what worship looks like. Tie them in with a sermon series that's kid friendly, and invite the kids to stay in the worship service for those weeks. It just might launch a new level of worship for everybody. The last section of your book could be a report on how it all went.

Comment

Robert, thanks! Good thoughts. And welcome to the forums!

Comment

Kids ages 8 and under...

At our church the kids are in the service with us for all of the singing and some prayers, then kids through age 8 go to children's church for the remainder of the time.

My kids are 2, 5 and 7, so they haven't sat through 'adult' church yet. They love to worship, though and for them that includes lots of clapping and jumping around. I love to see that happening. However, I don't notice much teaching on worship in our church or any church I've been part of, for that matter - for kids OR adults. I think your book sounds great.

Comment

knowing your ministry from a distance this is probably obvious - - but i'll say it anyways.

Gospel-centered, cross-centered

the gospel affects everything and kids need to understand how worship is tied to the cross and that we can only now worship because of the work done at Calvary. everything else in our "worship lifestyle" flows from and through the cross and our savior who now makes our worship acceptable to God.

again, probably obvious - but now it's out there

Comment

Working...
                              X