2 Teams Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Teams Saga

Hello out there. I just need a few thoughts of wisdom as I am in a new voyage. I have led worship for 15 years and always worked with one team regardless at what church I was at. I am now in a new place. I have been working with 2 teams for about 4 months. Each has there own vocals,piano,drummer, etc. Both teams need to learn the same songs and music since we are all 1 ministry. We will have to pull from each other from time to time when we are short vocals/musicians. We will also be ministring together as one big team from time to time. So my main issue and concern is this:

1. Should we all practice at the same time?
    2. Both band and vocals at the same time?
    3. Any additional thoughts and questions would be greatly received and appreciated

At present we practice on Sat and run through Sundays set list then practice new songs, but at this point most of our rehearsal is going over Sundays set list for am/pm. My main vision/goal is for everbody to know all the songs.

Blessings

Hi raindance,
    I came into a larger church about 14 months ago with the same potential ... "multiple teams". In your case, this is already established so to answer your questions, I'd recommend that you probably can't really have one big practice without wasting a lot of time. This is simply because you have duplicate rhythm section. I cannot imagine trying to let both drummers play simultaneously ... each will interpret the song a little bit differently. Same goes for piano, etc.

The one thing you COULD do is consolidate all the vocals, and have one big vocal rehearsal, then let the separate rhythm sections work it out on the Sunday run throughs (if they are good enough to do it that quickly) or on Saturdays.

The other option is to consider "dismantling" the "two teams" concept completely, and go to one large team with rotating in/out musicians and singers. This is the path I chose ... I have seen too many places where multiple teams caused the issues you've presented, not to mention it caused some division, strife, and competition between the teams.

If you are fixed with 2 teams ... I think you are probably doing it pretty well already, but it will get old teaching the same song twice to two separate bands. ON the other hand, in our example, we still have to teach the song a few times, depending on the rhythm section and vocalists.

Although it's not practical to always have separate practices, you definitely could do well to occassionally (say 1x per month) have a separate vocal rehearsal from band ..
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Thanks TWC Admin for your thoughts. I will run with it and also will wait to see if anymore post. There has been lots of issues to deal with, also since the teams rotate every week, kind of puts the congregation in an unfair advantage. There is no consistancy, but the Lord will work it all out.

Blessings

Comment

Of course, what Fred didn't tell you is that he has Planning Center to help him administrate all those musicians. Seriouslly, if you've got enough musicians for two teams, then the one big team with rotation is the way (in my opinion) to go.

Comment

Hey, for those who don't have the budget or assets for PlanningCenter ... Russ Hutto had an incredible article on his blog a while back about how he manages all this team, bands, music, and volunteers using the FREE Google Groups. I can't find it on his blog now, but will get him to come back here and post it!

Comment

thanks Fred. I'm also working to "re-integrate" the search function back into my blog, I removed it when the placement interfered with my top graphic, but forgot to add it back into the sidebar! Thanks for reminding me.

Here's the post: http://houseofjoy.info/russ/2008/04/...-worship-team/

I spend less than an hour each week "managing" our group and adding the necessary files/charts/etc so that our entire team has access to what they need to rehearse.

Like Fred said, if you're not able to financially swing PCO, I'd recommend going the FREE google groups route.
            Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

2 Team Trauma

Oh no! we have just started to discuss the possibility of adding a second worship team of just vocalists at our church. We would continue with the one band (because we don't have any more instrumentalists) but rotate our two teams of vocalists. i came on here today specifically to ask for ideas on the best scheduling rotations etc. Our goal is to train a second worship leader(we have one already filling in on the rare occasion our regular one is gone) and give our current vocalists some well deserved time off. all but one of them have other duties on Sunday mornings (teaching mainly) and we hoped this might help them catch their breath. they have all been members of the team since it's inception about 9 years ago. seems like it's time. so give it to me straight...will we just be adding to our headaches instead of helping? our church averages about 175 and we have a long tradition as being a "musical" church. we don't anticipate any ego problems with the choice of new singers but now i am concerned after you mentioned team competition. Help!

Comment

If it were me at this stage i would KISS (keep it simple stupid) and create two vocal teams with the wildly creative names "odd" and "even." Guess what, you just eliminated the need to EVER put out a calendar. They just look at their own calendar and say, "Wow, its the 1st sunday of the month. 1 is an odd number so I am up..and so will i be on week 3. Oh yeah, my practice is the Wednesday night before that." (You can also put all the weirdos on team odd which helps them remember their name and keeps them from getting on the normal people you put on even...kidding of course)

On months with 5 sundays, create a mixed up team (half odd/half even) and just shoot out an email. We did this for years at that stage. Don't worry about competition, you'll have enough people out that you'll have to switch and odd/even singer on a team that they'll cross pollinate (besides if you have competition, you aren't teaching vision enough).

Separate the rehearsal for shizzle hizzle. Do a vocal only rehearsal and follow it with the band (sometimes I guess wrong on a key for a new tune and that gives me time to go out to band afterwards and say, "Not G, F# instead..." which everyone so loves. We put the vocals with the band in a pre-service polish rehearsal on Sunday morning now.

Comment

great advice worshiptrench! it all sounds so simple when you put it like that. i will share your thoughts with the rest of the group that is doing the planning on this, except maybe the part about the "odds" team...heehee. thanks for setting my feet back on the path and keeping me from "taking to the ditch" as we say here in the south.

Comment

Fred, I thought of what you said about " dismantling" the 2 teams and making one big team while rotating members in/out. I have this same problem as Radiance. And the thing I`m finding difficult, is That the one team is not only playing a different style of music so as to accomadate and older Generation of Christian but as well are re-writing the existing tunes from The original team so as to simplify these melodies to suit the musicians. As the Praise & Worship Director of The church, I find myself somehow being dragged into the middle of this dispute between the members of both teams. My Pastor has been noticing some division and problems that are generating a bad taste in the mouths of the congregational members and He is asking me to put an end to all this bickering, and come up with a solution that suits everybody. would you have some other suggestions as how to effectively deal with these matters. P.S. Sorry !! I can relate to Radiance, But I dont want to take away from the initial topic of discussion.

Comment

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread. It is such a blessing and relief to see through other worshipper's and leader's eyes. I am in a great place. Yet finding being in uncharted territory. All the suggestions have been awesome. I am leaning on doing an all vocal rehearsal and doing separate band rehearsals. It will be challenging yet creative and fun. Will keep checking in for further posts.

Blessings,
                      David

Comment

Joseph,
                        Sounds like maybe you have two different teams, but they are ministering in two different services w/ different strategy? Is that correct?

Comment

I agree

with consolidating the teams and creating a rotation. This keeps everyone from playing every single week and prevents burnout on either team. Possible problems and solutions.

Everyone not learning all of the songs.
                          Everyone go to practice, even if their not playing, they can make notes about transitions, mood, etc. Also creates fellowship and community.

Scheduling
                          Set a schedule and let the duplicate band members work out conflicts.

2 team competition
                          I don't care for 2 seperate teams. People disconnect, don't share vision, makes communication more difficult/possibly confusing.

Just my $.02
                          Love the Lord your God with all your heart with your soul with all your mind and with all your strength!!

Comment

Originally posted by twc_admin View Post
                            I cannot imagine trying to let both drummers play simultaneously ...
                            We did that for a season in our fellowship. Our drummer and his son both played kits. The Grateful Dead had nothing on us. It was powerful.

Comment

Working...
                            X