Looking for a quote...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a quote...

Hi there. I'm trying to find a quote I have read within the past year. It is a 100+ year old quote critiquing "modern" music, and it is a charming way to illustrate how folks have always wrestled with preferences. (It's not the Queen of England's reference to Calvin's psalm versifications as "Genevan Gigs, btw.) Any ideas? Thanks!

I am thinking that there is some quote out there by a church leader condemning the awful, modern sounds of--Bach! I'll look around and see what I can find.

Elizabeth

Comment

Not the quote I was looking for, but this is amusing (about Bach):

It seems that the church authorities had not been entirely satisfied with his performance of the duties before he left, and this too was now made a matter of complaint. A formal examination was held, and the local magnates reported: "We charge him with having hitherto been in the habit of making surprising variations in the chorales, and intermixing divers strange sounds, so that thereby the congregation were confounded."

LOL!

Elizabeth

Comment

Hey -
        You may be thinking of that "top reasons why being opposed to modern music" list .. and after you read it, you discover this was the top complaints about the use of hymns after the reformation ... I don't know where that post would be, but I've also heard that it's authenticity has been challenged.
        Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
        blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
        www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
        www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Check out Sermon Central and search under the Hymns forums ... Iv'e had some lively discussions there ....I think i know which oine your talking about I've seen it too ...where they are bashing John and Charles Wesley's hymns.

Comment

I don't know whether to be amused, befuddled, or angered:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQTP6Ad5Og"[/URL]

Comment

I don't know whether to be amused, befuddled, or angered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQTP6Ad5Og

Comment

simply be amused,,,,there are more important things in the world to tackle than this...i promise....laugh and drive on.

Comment

I would just like to point out that this guy is actually a half-decent musician. It's amazing how messed-up our theologies can get based on personal preferences.

Comment

I watched and my thoughts in this order were:

1) When was this made?
                    2) He is a pretty good musician.
                    3) It's sad that he's so wrapped up in finding "demons" behind every bush, that he may actually be persuading great musicians who would otherwise rock out for the Kingdom to lay down their axes.
                    Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

He overlooked a profound truth he himself said. "One is suited to praising God and the other is not.... And it's based upon the heart of the person playing it."

It's not the music nor the melody; it's the intention of the musician(s).

Sigh. I grew up with attitudes like that. If I heard this guy preach today, I'd get up and leave.

I love all kinds of music.

Elizabeth

Comment

Watch out for the dreaded BOOGIE WOOOGIE!!!!!

Comment

We actually teach East Coast Swing Dance lessons at our church. AND we use original swing music from the 30s and 40s to dance to...gasp.
                          Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

SACRILEGE! HERESY! Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!

Comment

Here's the quote

As quoted by Matt Redman in Worship Leader Magazine, May 2006. The article is titled Rhyme & Reason: Under the Microscope.

"There are several reasons for opposing it. One, it's too new. Two, it's often worldly.....The new Christian music is not as pleasant as the more established style. Besides there are so many new songs that you can't learn them all. It puts too much emphasis on instrumental music rather than godly lyrics. This new music creates disturbances making people act indecently . The preceding generation got along without it. It's a money-making scheme, and some of these new music upstarts are lewd and loose."

This quote comes from a pastor in 1723 attacking Isaac Watts, the father of North American hymnody.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X