Writing Music to Lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Music to Lyrics

I'm interested in new and different approaches to songwriting than my own. So here's my questions: How do you write music for your lyrics? Do your lyrics come after your music? How repetitive is the chord progression in your song? What types of chord progressions do you use?

Originally posted by sealen.dythe View Post
    I'm interested in new and different approaches to songwriting than my own. So here's my questions: How do you write music for your lyrics? Do your lyrics come after your music? How repetitive is the chord progression in your song? What types of chord progressions do you use?
    in my experience, the lyrics have usually come after the music. For most of my songwriting "life", i have experimented with chord progressions until I came up with something that I thought was interesting. then I tried to fit a melody around the progression. then tried to find inspration for words/message. I have used many different progressions: I-IV-V, or I-VIm-IV-V or I-V-VIm-IV or I-IV-IIm-V or sometimes just did something off the wall like changing keys in the chorus. Of course this makes things a bit more complicated because you need transition chords. I have tried to use different progrssions for the verses, chorus etc. There have been a few rare times when I have had a melody pop in my head and then I worked out chords to fit it, then words.

Comment

I've tried some of those same chord progressions myself. And it is the same with me - the lyrics normally come after I have some type of music. I've thought about changing keys in a song before, but never really seemed to be able to do it smoothly. It always messed all of my other music up, so I gave up on the idea. I may just give it a shot again!

Comment

For me sometimes I start with a chord progression or some notes that I think sound good together and then try to come up with some lyrics that might fit around that, but mostly I think I have some general lyrics and then play with them with different chords to see what sounds good. I don't really have any hard and fast rule.....I just try to be as open minded about everything as I can. I also don't want everything to sound the same all the time, so I will purposely use chords that I might not go to on a regular basis. I guess I try to be as creative as I can and not try to tie anything down. Art is always an open thing right

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa D View Post
          I just try to be as open minded about everything as I can. I also don't want everything to sound the same all the time, so I will purposely use chords that I might not go to on a regular basis. I guess I try to be as creative as I can and not try to tie anything down. Art is always an open thing right

Lisa
          I like this idea, art is definitely an open thing!

Comment

I am more a poet then a tune maker. I write words, and usually, as I am writing, a melody line attaches itself to the words. Once the words are done, I work with the melody that has come until it works, then I find chords and progressions that fit.

Although usually, I just post the words on the songwriters forum here, and someone else puts music to it.
            Tom

Comment

I never thought about using the forum as a tool for songwriting. Good idea!

Comment

In my past i usually always came up with the lyrics after the song was done. Lyrics for me are an after thought as i always struggled with the lyrics more that the song writing. I think i should try it out the other way and see how it goes, it might be easier, who knows?

Comment

Working...
                X