"Shout" --my church digs this tune.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shout" --my church digs this tune.

I was thinking about the account in the Chronicles where the musicians went into battle ahead of the army. Cool story. That's the inspiration for this one. Out of all the songs I've written for corporate worship so far, this one seems to have the most consistent appeal and the most requests. It seems to strike a chord in this current depressed economy etc.
    Charts are available.

TrentSmithMusic - Shout on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

"Shout"
    words and music, Trent Smith

When darkness, a raging tide
    Rises against us
    Our Savior stands close beside
    Strong to defend us

Lay down your shackles of fear
    For garments of joy

Shout! With a mighty sound
    Till the walls are broken down
    Till they echo with the noise of freedom
    Shout! Every voice sing out,
    Let the melody resound,
    There is hope, hope for us all.

This promise will never fail
    He’ll not forsake us
    Our chorus “Still, it is well”
    When tears overtake us

Lay down your shackles of fear
    For garments of joy

Shout! With a mighty sound
    Till the walls are broken down
    Till they echo with the noise of freedom
    Shout! Every voice sing out,
    Let the melody resound,
    There is hope, hope for us all.

you're great

wow. You really have a great voice and musicians that can play.
    I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

"Shout"

Great delivery and sound!

At first this image didn't seem to fit >a raging tide-Rises against us

I was thinking "tide" meaning water and couldn't fit "flood/water" with the image of bringing down the walls in a battle......

but musically it's so strong and the rest of the images seem to work together well.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW- I clicked on your other music after posting this and it's great to hear you and see how God is using you and how you got connected here.

You do a wonderful job with really "singing" the lyrics. If you have a chance, I'd love to hear what your process is in getting such a good fit with the words and music....I don't know if it's the songwriter in you or the singer or a combination of both, but if there is any advice as to technically how you do it from a songwriting perspective, I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks again.
      Last edited by jamestoffee; 12-31-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I dig it too!!!!

Comment

Matching Lyric and Music

Originally posted by jamestoffee View Post

You do a wonderful job with really "singing" the lyrics. If you have a chance, I'd love to hear what your process is in getting such a good fit with the words and music....I don't know if it's the songwriter in you or the singer or a combination of both, but if there is any advice as to technically how you do it from a songwriting perspective, I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks again.
          James, I appreciate the encouragement--am happy to share anything I've picked up about songwriting...I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Are you referring to matching syllabic emphasis with melodic/rhythmic changes? If so, I would say part of it is an intuitive sense, and another part is making sure to say lines out loud without music to hear the natural rise and fall of the diction and phrasing. Usually the melody should not contradict the contour of the spoken line, although in current songwriting I'm noticing a trend toward deliberate reshaping of words. Example "Beautiful Things" by Gungor Band. The melody causes the following emphasis "You make beautiful things, You make beauti-FUL things out of the dust." I find it annoying, yet it sticks in my head like crazy, so maybe the rule-breaking is a good thing sometimes? Also, current singer-songwriters seem to have a casual relationship between their meter and their poetry and it seems to work. Listen to Ingrid Michaelson or the Civil Wars. Obviously that approach is cool but doesn't work for congregational singing--if that is your objective.

Comment

Hi Trent

>I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Are you referring to matching syllabic emphasis with melodic/rhythmic changes?

Sorry to not be too clear. It was more of a "deer in the headlight" moment when you're trying to work on music and it doesn't seem to click like your wanting it.....then I heard your music and how....I don't know a better way to say it, but you, Trent, are just at a higher level of craftsmanship, and I was just thinking....."Yes. That's great music!"....so I was asking myself and you, "Now what's the next stepping stone from where I am to keep improving?"....and the quality of "prosody" really caught and kept my attention.

....But you gave a clear explanation and I'll look more into your suggestions.

Technically, I know the word for "prosody" -matching the words and music...I just really got excited hearing someone do it so well

>that approach is cool but doesn't work for congregational singing--if that is your objective.

I have a passion for songwriting not restricted to congregational singing. I love learning all I can from as many sources as I can, so thanks again for the reply and the suggestions.

Blessings,

James
            Last edited by jamestoffee; 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

next steps

Makes sense, James...

If I could hear some of the songs you are working on writing right now, perhaps I could offer specific suggestions--for whatever it's worth...lol

I'd be happy to do that, if it could be helpful/encouraging to you.

Went to a Matthew West concert last night--boy, that guy is quite the writer! God is really using him to speak hope to a lot of people--I think it's great.

t

Comment

Hi Trent,

>Went to a Matthew West concert last night--boy, that guy is quite the writer!

Sounds good. I'll look him up on the Internet.

>If I could hear some of the songs you are working on writing right now, perhaps I could offer specific suggestions

Thanks for the generosity. I wrote "TWC December Emmanuel" a couple weeks ago and would appreciate feedback. It's a few posts down from this posts.

Also, I've been writing a song a week in a non-Christian forum. Here is where I post the songs:

Music page of James Sunday SongWriter's Group - MP3 music page on SoundClick

Maybe if you see a title that looks interesting and have some suggestions you could email me at:

jamestoffee@hotmail.com

Thanks!

James

Comment

Working...
                X