"Messiah Has Come" Check it out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Messiah Has Come" Check it out...

Had an idea and got some time to work on it today... Here's what I came up with:

TrentSmithMusic - Messiah Has Come - SoundCloud

"Messiah Has Come"

Light of Your love revealed,
    Born among thorns,
    A rose in the field.
    Mercy has sprung.

Surely You bore our shame.
    Surely you carried sorrow and pain
    Humbly You came
    To rescue the world, oh

Shout to the heavens,
    Children of Zion, rejoice!
    Our salvation has come.
    Run to the mountains,
    Raise up your voice,
    Hallelujah! Messiah has come.

Beautiful, holy King
    Buried and risen, coming again.
    Jesus, You reign.
    How great is our joy! Oh,

Messiah has come! Hallelujah!
    The light of redemption is here!
    Messiah has come, Hallelujah!
    Has come.

Sounds great Trent.

I like the piano driven groove!
    Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Hey Trent

I like the melody. Its a good song.

This lyric is a little unclear:

Born among thorns,
      A rose in the field.

I like the imagery of a rose and thorns. Was it maybe that he was a rose born among thorns? Maybe he would feel the thorns? Some wording around that?

Mark

Comment

Lyric

I have no idea what it means. Who cares--it's poetic!....

*tongue-in-cheek*

Meaning is twofold:

First: reference to Isa. 53 "he grew up as a tender shoot from dry ground" (something like that--don't have my Bible in front of me)

Second--the "thorns" term can also tie in to the first line, "Light of Your love revealed--born among thorns" That is, God's love was revealed wrapped in thorns (aka--the picture of the crucifixion).

As long as the lyric doesn't promote heresy, I personally believe it is ok to leave a few lines a bit "implicit." It's like abstract art--Trying to create an emotional environment for the rest of the song to live in. Obviously, the rest of the song is very clear.

Curious to hear people's reaction to this...

Comment

Trent....WOW I really like this song.....I'm not sure how long you have been doing this songwriting thing, but you are really good! You inspire me to be more creative and take artistic chances with songwriting. I think music is art!! I think the thorn and rose thing makes sense....I guess I am looking at it with the perspective of He was born among thorns, meaning we are the thorns....people on earth....He was the rose....the one perfect thing among the thorns....through Him mercy grew....beautiful!!

I'm hoping my songwriting and musical skills will grow and you help me want to be better....thanks for posting your songs!!

Great!

Comment

lyric edit

BTW--

After an e-mail conversation with a fellow writer yesterday I'm changing the chorus lyric to make it simpler and emphasize the title line:

"Shout from the mountains,
            Children of Zion, rejoice!
            Messiah has come.
            Fill the heavens,
            Raise up your voice,
            Hallelujah! Messiah has come."

I'll re-record the scratch vocal and post the edit later.

Trent

Comment

Messiah Has Come II

re-vamped chorus...

http://soundcloud.com/trentsmithmusi...iah-has-come-2

Comment

Very nice!

Very nice, Trent! Thanks for sharing. My only "odd" moment came at the end of the first chorus when you sang, "Hallelujah! Has come." The grammar section of my brain wants to click "incomplete sentence." Other that, I LOVE this song. Very beautiful melody and harmonies, and I love the piano part. I can imagine this song being in a worship service. Nice job!
                Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
                BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

Comment

I love it. Fantastic!

You have a great voice, man! Great tracking, too. What equipment do you use?

Comment

@Trent: Great job as usual. While I love listening to your stuff, have you ever considered participating in or collaborating with others on the monthly songwriting assignments? I think you'd be a great asset to have on the team.

Comment

Ah, born among thorns - like his love born (carried) among thorns. I get it once you explained it. I think it leaves room for the hearer to interpret it - there have been a few interpretations on this thread. So long as the interpretations are not confusing or contradictory of just plain wrong. Or, the listener does not ask 'what does that mean' and therefore you lose them in the song (assuming you are intending a worship song here).

Here's Isaiah 53:2

He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

The rose and thorns is powerful image and it does evoke beauty among the un-beautiful (us). And a flower blooming does evoke mercy springing.

These dilemmas are why songwriting is so hard - at least the craft part of it anyways!

Originally posted by Trent View Post
                      I have no idea what it means. Who cares--it's poetic!....

*tongue-in-cheek*

Meaning is twofold:

First: reference to Isa. 53 "he grew up as a tender shoot from dry ground" (something like that--don't have my Bible in front of me)

Second--the "thorns" term can also tie in to the first line, "Light of Your love revealed--born among thorns" That is, God's love was revealed wrapped in thorns (aka--the picture of the crucifixion).

As long as the lyric doesn't promote heresy, I personally believe it is ok to leave a few lines a bit "implicit." It's like abstract art--Trying to create an emotional environment for the rest of the song to live in. Obviously, the rest of the song is very clear.

Curious to hear people's reaction to this...
                      Last edited by MarkSnyder; 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Ok, Ryan...don't laugh

I use a M-Audio FireWire 410, Pro-tools M-powered, and some little $300 M-Audio speakers. I borrow a AKG 414B-ULS from my church for vocals. This is in an upstairs room with no sound treatment.

The set-up is pretty Mickey-Mouse, really...but fine for demos..

Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Trent View Post
                          I use a M-Audio FireWire 410, Pro-tools M-powered, and some little $300 M-Audio speakers. I borrow a AKG 414B-ULS from my church for vocals. This is in an upstairs room with no sound treatment.

The set-up is pretty Mickey-Mouse, really...but fine for demos..

Trent
                          Trent, I'll only laugh because I'm in the same boat. Your sound is MUCH better though. I love your vocals.

I use a Presonus Firepod, Behringer BlueTube pre-amp, Logic Pro, and a $130 condenser. I've figured out the mics and mic placement for a pretty good acoustic sound, but my vocals still sound kind of muffled. I'm having trouble finding the balance between crisp and warm.

Anyway, again, great song!

Comment

Working...
                          X