"Awaken the Dawn" - Psalm 108

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Awaken the Dawn" - Psalm 108

...here's a video I shot the other day of a recent original worship song I wrote, "Awaken the Dawn".
    Check it out, lemme know what you think (polite constructive criticism is always welcome)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-hYsdm3TU

I like it...has almost a "Crowder" feel to it.

When listening, I could pretty much hear the full arrangement, and harmony vocals...thats always a sure sign you are onto something good.

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
      I like it...has almost a "Crowder" feel to it.

When listening, I could pretty much hear the full arrangement, and harmony vocals...thats always a sure sign you are onto something good.

Smitty
      ...cool, thanks! What kind of stuff were you hearing arrangement-wise? If I were to record the song, I would probably have a piano do the verse progressions with a subtle acoustic guitar accompaniment.

Comment

Yup!

The piano and acoustic guitar in the verse. A crunchy electric guitar doing power chords in the background on the choruses, and a kind of "Mass Choir" vocal thing on the chorus. Dynamics-wise, I can definitely hear a build and release thing fitting into the song.

Would you be willing to send me the music and lyrics, and let me play with it?
        My email is davidsproblem@comcast.net.

Smitty
        Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Good worship song Matt ! Like the dynamics. Has a nice
          build up to the chorus. Like Smitty says, there is some nice
          space in there for other instrumentation, and I can feel a bit
          of that Crowder thing happening with the guitar style which
          aint no bad thing buddy! Cool

Comment

Matt -
            Awesome - have you tried this in your local church yet?

Ya know, the only thing I love more than seeing these original songs coming out here on TWC is seeing potential TWC-member collaborations happening (Smitty!)
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Originally posted by twc_admin View Post
              Matt -
              Awesome - have you tried this in your local church yet?

Ya know, the only thing I love more than seeing these original songs coming out here on TWC is seeing potential TWC-member collaborations happening (Smitty!)
              ...it's funny because, no, I have not tried this song in my church...yet. But, the cool thing is that there are a couple of Worship Leaders (Smitty being one ) who are planning on sharing the song with their churches!

I'm planning on sharing more songs I've written...stay tuned.

Comment

Great song. I think you're guitar picking is very good and your melodies are awesome. The one thing that I would challenge you on is to think more outside the box in regards with your words. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome words, but I believe you have a greater potential to be used by God with your gifts and He loves you to much to leave you the same. Thus, avoiding using words that, to me, have become cliches in the worship realm could be looked at more in future songs. If you would like some examples, I would be happy to expound! All in all, keep doing what you're doing!

Comment

Originally posted by ericekidwell View Post
                  Great song. I think you're guitar picking is very good and your melodies are awesome. The one thing that I would challenge you on is to think more outside the box in regards with your words. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome words, but I believe you have a greater potential to be used by God with your gifts and He loves you to much to leave you the same. Thus, avoiding using words that, to me, have become cliches in the worship realm could be looked at more in future songs. If you would like some examples, I would be happy to expound! All in all, keep doing what you're doing!
                  ...good words, my friend. Yeah, I would say lyrics are my main weakness as a songwriter. I struggle a lot with writing them. With this particular song, as with a lot of my other worship songs, I pretty much take lyrics literally straight from Scripture. Writing worship songs is a new exercise for me - so, growing and developing more originality and creativity with lyrics is just something that happens over time. At this moment, it is very difficult to write worship lyrics that do not sound cliche!

I do write a lot of "regular" songs (not worship-related), and lyrics are a little easier to write because I am not confined in many of the ways that one can be in writing worship material. But, overall, I just don't like writing lyrics! Ha! I often wish that I could collaborate with someone who is a proper poet!

But, I thank you for your criticism and advice - good stuff!

Comment

Matt, I'm totally with you with lyrics because it is not something that comes to me easily either. I have to really work at it, whereas melodies come to me very very easily. I would challenge you to listen to worship music that is progressive. One of the many bands out there moving to the "worship of tomorrow" I believe is Ascend the Hill. They have some great music and can be found here ASCEND THE HILL (GEAR FOR SALE!!) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads They have lyrics in "The Reform" such as: "Heart pounding, voice resounding, this is the sound of my rebounding, coming back again." or "This is the sound of foundation shaking, history in the making" Chorus: "This is reformation, this is love overtaking, this is the sound of redemption, this is now"

Or even a song called You Are Holy by Elevation Worship Team, found here on their blog: http://elevation-worship.com/blog/ With lyrics such as "Grow our faith Lord, when our eyes can't see - that You don't change Lord, you will ever be."

There are many others, but they don't have many lyrics that are cliche. I believe that if we put others who are stronger in an area than we are, we can get better in that area!

Another way to write worship music is to not only have words that talk like praise, rejoice, but just talk about how great God is or what he's done for you. Sometimes thinking of a song about God is a lot easier to not be cliche than songs to God.
                    Last edited by ericekidwell; 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericekidwell View Post
                      I would challenge you to listen to worship music that is progressive.

Another way to write worship music is to not only have words that talk like praise, rejoice, but just talk about how great God is or what he's done for you. Sometimes thinking of a song about God is a lot easier to not be cliche than songs to God.
                      ...the funny thing is, is that I really don't listen to a lot of worship music! I mean, I keep up with names and songs in the worship music world, but as far as what I have in my personal collection of music, there isn't much worship. I'm always on the lookout for, as you called it, progressive worship, and thankfully the genre is expanding and developing more creativity. One of the more recent acts I've discovered is Mike Crawford and His Secret Siblings. I'm looking forward to checking out the bands you linked to. Thank you!

I think one of the next big developments in worship music should be the crafting of lyrics that are much more poetic in nature. One of the major differences I find between "traditional" (hymns) and "modern" songs are the lyrical qualities (or lack thereof). The lyrics of many of our hymns are so poetic in quality, while most of modern worship songs leave much to be desired - they seem to simply be strings of simplistic descriptions of God.
                      For example, compare and contrast "How Great Thou Art" and "How Great Is Our God"...

So, then, the effort in my personal pursuit of crafting quality worship songs will be to combine unique, accessible, creative music with lyrics that are more poetic. Thank you for encouraging me in this area!

Comment

Working...
                      X