"all In All"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "all In All"

I have a history of writing REALLY COMPLEX songs, but having been inspired by Brian & Jenn Johnson's ability to take something simple and make it REAL powerful, I attempted this one...

the verses need some rewriting for sure...musically, I really like the hook, and the chorus is very singable...melodically & musically it brings to mine "Greatly to be Praised" by the Johnsons.

Any tips, critiques, or insights are appreciated...

All in All (it’s all about You) – Shannon Lewis ©2007
    Key: C

VERSE:
    I will choose this day to lay down my life
    Only for You….On-ly for You
    Bought with a price – a sacred sacrifice
    Only for me…On-ly for me
    To return to You all I hold so loosely
    Only to You…On-ly for You
    To make me like Christ, You laid down Your life
    Only for You…On-ly for me!

CHORUS
    You made me … Sustained me
    You saved and showed mercy to me
    You called me … and sent me
    but all-in-all it’s been all about You

BRIDGE
    All-in-all …You’re all I need (x4)

lyrically I really like it...can I hear it?

Comment

Originally posted by Klampert View Post
      lyrically I really like it...can I hear it?
      not for a few months. :-(

Comment

dude thats what mini recorders are for. lol

Comment

Reads good to me. What's gonna take a few months for it to debut?
          Be Awesome for God!

Chris Moncus
          Personal Blog | Chris Moncus Photography

Other places to find me:
          flickr | FaceBook | Twitter

Comment

ya - we've got studios, ya know!
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

I'm actually tracking down Bass & Electric guitar parts (and scratch vocals) THIS COMING WEEK, so expect a 'sample' after that. I've been delayed by working on some of my wife's songs (which we're also recording). Slow process, this recording thing.

Comment

Okay, so here it is, but it is SO 'rough demo' that I am only keeping the song up in this form for 1 DAY. So, if you're interested, listen to it, and critiques are welcome (not production, but songwriting critiques).
                So, go here:
                http://virb.com/saintlewis
                and listen to "All in All"
                be nice, please ;-)
                it's a VERY ROUGH DEMO.

Comment

I know I'm chiming in here late but I did have one quick question about the Chorus...

The last line says, "...but all-in-all it’s been all about You."

Could you break down the meaning there for me?

Is "all-in-all" a reference to the You - in this case God - at the end of the line?

Or, is it a reference to the concept of "but above all else" or "even though you've done all those things for me it's still about you?"

It's kind of a confusing line to me. Also, when speaking the line, the 3 "all"s seem a bit much, is there another way to convey that same idea using one less "all?"

Other than that I'm digging it!
                  Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Originally posted by blindeyesopen View Post
                    The last line says, "...but all-in-all it’s been all about You."
                    Well, it relates to a number of Scripture verses I was studying at the time - here's something I wrote in my blog about it:

Isaiah states in verse 14 of chapter 63 that God delivered Moses and his people “to make for himself a name,” or rather, for his own renown and glory. Likewise, Psalm 106:8 says “…yet he saved them for his name’s sake, that he might make known his mighty power.” John Piper says in THE PLEASURES OF GOD, and rightly I believe, that “God’s first love is rooted in the value of his Holy name, not the value of a sinful people. And because it is, there is hope for the sinful people, since they are not the grounds of their salvation, God’s NAME is.” This idea is carried over into the New Testament as well; Jesus life and work are aimed at revealing and honoring the Father’s name, which leads to His further glory. Jesus prayed in the garden, “Now my soul is troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ No, for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.” Then the Father responded, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” Again, I believe Piper speaks wisely concerning this; “…we should think of the death of Jesus as the way the Father vindicated his name - his reputation - from all accusations of unrighteousness in the forgiveness of sinners. On this side of the cross we should pray just as David did in Psalm 25:11; ‘for your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great.’”

The point of the song is that God is the 'all in all' - that all things, even the many blessings He pours out on us, reflect back on Him and are ultimately for His glory...the chorus explores the mystery of that: that God's self-glorification turns out for our ultimate good and blessing.

That's to say, I guess the meaning is closest to your last guess: "even though you've done all those things for me it's still about you"

Interestingly enough, I never suspected that part of the song to be a problem lyrically...I'll have to consider that.

Thank you!
                    Last edited by SaintLewis; 03-15-2008, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Shannon -
                      were the drums on a click track?

Comment

PS: that ending reminds me totally of the ending of "For All You've Done" ... then again, there is just no original melody anymore on anything!

Comment

Originally posted by twc_admin View Post
                          Shannon -
                          were the drums on a click track?
                          Sorta yes, but no.
                          Interpreted: we hoped to record to a click if it came naturally for the songs, and began to but it was both 1) sucking the life out of our groove and 2) messing us up - if we had stuck with it we wouldn't have managed to record ANY final drum tracks that day. So we used the click to set our basic tempo, then ran with it au-naturale... personally, I've always enjoyed the older bands that recorded w/o clicks (most classic rock), and have only used a click on one c.d. (because it was co-produced by a professional drummer who wouldn't let us do it without one - of course, that c.d. cost me a MINT - or rather, 20 MINTS!)

Hmm..."For all you've Done", you say? I'll take that as a compliment, but I don't hear it whatsoever. Maybe I'll listen to them back-to-back a few times.

Thanks for replying!

Comment

Thought there's still work to be done, I've posted an updated demo of "All in All" at Saint Lewis's virb site. Please come by and take a listen. Next, I'll be tracking down a little more electric guitar myself, then keys...

Also, in case anyone is interested, I've put a number of my older tunes online at another virb site for my band, Set on Edge.

Comment

Working...
                            X