Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critiques Please!

Hi all

I'm new here, but I'm looking for some neutral critiques of a few songs I've written.

They're on my website at http://www.kieranmetcalfe.org.uk. There's an mp3 player at the top. If you click the song title, you can pick which one to listen to.

Basically, I've been worship leading for about 10 years, maybe more, and I used to write songs occasionally. The three songs I've got on the website seem to have marked the start of a period where I've been writing almost constantly.

Part of me's really excited about it, but then there's part of me that's really nervous about whether I'm just biased to my own material!

I was hoping that some kind souls here would take a listen and give me some honest feedback. The mixes are rough - I'm not a producer, by any stretch - these are just home recordings.

All feedback (good or bad) would be most welcome.

Oh, and by the way - the site's not finished yet..... by a long way.....

Thanks in advance.

Kiers

Kiers,
    Listening now - very nice, soothing worship ... I like the simple arrangements, the way you color them by adding something different each time.

FYI - I couldn't really change songs using Mac version of Firefox browser - something weird w/ the player and the code. All I could listen to was For Your Glory.

Everybody else - go check this stuff out!
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Hey

Thanks for the feedback - both the song and the technical side!

I'll take a look at the player, and see what I can do. If you want to hear any other ones, click into the songs section, and pick a song from the left. The following songs have mp3s and "listen in player" links on the lyric pages:

"For all I am"
      "Morning Star"
      "Nothing Compares"

Cheers - thanks again.

K

Comment

I really like the instrumentation on the songs. Well balanced and excellent atmosphere.

The harmonies on Morning Stare are so good!!

Nothing Compares seems a bit empty compared to the other two songs, at least in chord structure. The instrumental voicings in the middle are pretty good, but overall the song doesn't "stick" as well as the other two. That said, I think it is a great worship song in its focus and lyrics... my only concern is that it isn't quite as catchy as the others to the listener.

Thank you for sharing your music. And the site looks great.

Comment

Hi Grace

Thanks for the feedback - esp on Nothing Compares.

You're right - it's a very flat mix in terms of dynamics - I'm working on changing that . Maybe I should have waited before uploading it! Just too overenthusiastic I guess....

As I'm an amatuer (if that) when it comes to recording, I'm really chuffed that you like the sound of the recordings!

Thanks again

Kiers

Comment

Hay Kiers! I think your songs are pretty good! Couldn't help but sing along in Glorious. I like your lyrics a lot too ^^
            I haven't listened to all of them, but what I heard was solid.
            I was getting really excited thinking about how it would sound produced with strings, backing singers.. wow! Have you done these songs at your church? I bet they sound really great with a full band behind them.

Comment

Great lyrics...cross centered in a day and age of "Jesus is my buddy and makes me feel really good."

For All I Am....
              Going to retreat this a bit anthem-delirious-esque and see what happens. I'll shoot you the results from a live leading of it if we can get it into the right musical setting for us. Should be quite fun process. Great lyric of the stars-tree comparison.

Comment

Great stuff, Kieran!

I really liked "Glorious". Easy and fun to sing to.

Smitty
                Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

your songs

Kieran...first of all, I am ALWAYS encouraged to see guys out there writing. Only the tiniest fraction of worship songs ever get heard on a broad level--but the fact that there is this constant outpouring of praise to God from around the world stirs my soul.

Your voice reminds me a little of Chris Rice--a comforting, easy-to-listen-to sort of charm. Your songs are honest and simple in a good way.

How much chord predictability is too much? Hard to say in a congregational setting. I mean, there's a reason why everyone who hears "Shout to the Lord" knows it after one listen--but still the 1, 6, 4, 5 chorus drives me nuts. I guess it doesn't really matter what annoys ME...it's the "Joe-Pew-Sitters" who decide what works and what doesn't after all...

I think you've got a good thing going.

Blessings,
                  Trent

Comment

Working...
                  X