X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• russhutto
    started a topic Baptisms?

Baptisms?

How do you guys go about celebrating baptism?

I'm just curious what it looks like across the spectrum of churches represented here.

We will record a lot of those who are to be baptized telling their "Stories" on video and then weave those in with live music and the actual baptisms...it's pretty fun!

Your thoughts and experiences?
    Last edited by russhutto; 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM.

• desheikh
    replied
    ust a symbolic sprinkling of water over their head...

http://www.solitairecardgame.org/
    Last edited by desheikh; 12-30-2015, 01:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• euzmike
    replied
    We do baptisms usually only once or twice a year (smaller church), and we have a service outside at a nearby private pond, and between baptisms we sing a chorus from a song (traditional or modern relevant to baptism), and then we have a fellowship picnic afterwards.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I thought at first you meant, theologically how do we baptize and I thought this was about to turn into a submersion vs christening or oneness vs trinitarian baptism post haha. But my church normally does the baptism toward the end of the service and we baptize anyone anytime they want to do it. Though I believe my church should maybe have a class or meeting with the pastor so that the candidates know exactly how serious and symbolic baptism is.

Leave a comment:

• Moosicman
    replied
    As United Methodists we'll sprinkle, pour, immerse, or wet hands on head. We also do this throughout the year as the need arises and celebrate it within the worship services as you may find typical. What we do that's more unique is two, sometimes three baptisms in the bay. We're in PCB, FL and have a few bays, lagoons, state parks and such that offer shallow water and good viewing from shore. It's very special to those being baptized.

Leave a comment:

• mikeymo1741
    replied
    We do three or four a year. We don't have a baptistry, so we either do it Sunday afternoon, at another local church (in the winter) or we do it at the town beach in warmer weather. Those are amazing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In our church during baptism our participants will wear baptism robes for formality... It is a tradition. Before, I have no religion until I met a friend who told me about Jesus. Last May 01, 2012 I was just baptized. Way back from the past, I had a different feeling and a little bit nervous maybe because I was just excited to be a new born Christian wearing an excellent baptism robe, my friend bought it from Churchgoers Baptism Robes. The pastor and the witnesses gave me a warm welcome and we celebrate it as I give them a big party.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Our pastor wets his hand and holds it on the head of the person being baptised. It is something we take very seriously in our congregation, especially since we don't seem to do alter calls citing the A.B.C.'s (admit you're a sinner, believe Christ died for your sins, commit your soul and your life to follow Jesus). We are a United Methodist church heading in a contemporary direction.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    UMC here...

Sometimes you have to break the mold and celebrate the awesomeness of what is happening in front of you )

We try to make the celebration memorable. Song, feast, and if they are willing.... we have a river out back and people willing to get wet!

Leave a comment:

• mikeymo1741
    replied
    We will typically baptize three or four times a year. Our largest baptisms we hold on Memorial Day and Labor Day in conjunction with one of our church picnic/park outreaches. We drag everything out to the biggest park in the city, have a full worship service, have a baptism, and have a picnic that's open to everyone. (The banner at the top of our homepage is a photo taken during one of these baptisms.)

During the winter/spring if we have baptisms, we do it at another local church that has a baptistry. (we don't) Usually we'll do it on Sunday evening, have a short worship, a short message, and the baptism. We baptise by immersion.

Typically we will have each candidate for baptism give a short, live testimony before the actual baptisms.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We used to do it weekly in service (1 - 3 folks usually). Not as inspiring as what we do now because now we emphasize their story more.

Now we shifted to quarterly baptisms still in our Sunday morning services. We have 20-50+ folks between the two. We have a narrator who reads a 1 minute story about how they came to faith in Christ. The story often contains the fact that someone at NorthWood relationally led them to the Lord. This inspires others to do the same thing. If we have enough folks, we break them into two groups within the service and then place a celebratory song between. Our church claps and rejoices after each baptism as well.

With that said, occassionally we have a special situation where we still baptize on a non-baptism service (someone's family members in town, heading to Iraq, etc.)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    we baptize by immersion, we have a baptismal pool submerged below the back of the stage, so we uncover it....

the last one we had there were all young people, so the parents all got a chance to share a verse and something special about the child, the child either shared their testimony of the point where they accepted Christ, or if they were shy the pastor asked them some questions that confirmed their acceptance of Jesus as their Savior, our pastors daughter was also baptized and his wife joined him in the pool and they baptized her together, something that has become a tradition among missionaries to Russia, it was neat.

We have a baptizm coming up at the end of this month, a young gal who accepted jesus a few months ago has been wanting to be baptized, I have asked the pastor if my daughter and i can take a part, as she is my daughters friend and we has come to church with us for many months now...looking forward to his answer on that one...

there is usually a good amount of happy tears and some clapping and cheering too...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No speeches, no party, no vids, no pool or lake or "dunkin' tub"...... just a symbolic sprinkling of water over their head, kinda like a baby christening. UMC doesn't seem to make a big deal of it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We do ours either in someones pool or in a lake/river. We pretty much make a party out of it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We'll always have baptisms during an appropriate songs. Since we have a baptismal off the side of the stage, this makes for a pretty cool event! Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) is a popular one to play alongside the baptism!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X