Acoustic Hymns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Hymns

Well, I lead a college aged group and am planning a teaching series of Ancient Practices. I will be covering Baptism, Prayer, Fasting, Communion, and Baptism with Holy Ghost.

In doing this, I am wanting to set a more traditional vibe in the room. I am intending to include acoustic hymns for the worship. What I am looking for is suggestions of hymns for all five topics. And Hymns which are reasonably well known are a plus. Also I will take suggestions of any hymn you really just can't live without.

Remember that I am not a champion when it comes to Guitar. So any way to make things that are easy to play in a small family setting are a blessing.

Hymns

wow--there are sooo many and I only have 5 minutes...

ok, some of my favorites on Baptism/Communion-ish theme:

"There Is a Fountain"
    "Jesus Paid It All"
    "Oh the Deep Deep Love" (Bob Kauflin's new setting is OUTSTANDING--big improvement over the original, but does not water down the text at all + it retains the integrity of a solid hymn feel)

Newer Hymns:
    "The Wonder of the Cross" (Vicki Beeching)
    "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" (Townend)

Back to older stuff:
    "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
    "Rock of Ages"
    "And Can It Be That I Should Gain" (hmmm...new theme song for "Biggest Loser"?)
    "Our Great Savior"

and, just because...I rediscovered an old hymn last week called "God Leads Us Along." Wow--it is absolutely gorgeous. My worship team had never heard it before and they were taken with it from the first listen. A couple chord changes--throw in a minor vi here and there and it was amazing. Brought me to tears.

Comment

RUF online is a great resource. Some new tunes to old hymns as well as acoustic versions of the traditional hymns, with lead sheets, chord charts, mp3s.

They have a great rockin' arrangement of "And Can It Be" there, it really moves and we use it often.

Comment

+1 for the RUF hymnal. You also might enjoy exploring the Red Mountain Music folk.
        Tony Hartsfield

Comment

Thanks Guys, these really helped me in my effort to get ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X