Favorite Hymn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Hymn

Yesterday, I found out that quite a few worship leaders lead "There is a Fountain" last week. What a wonderful thing "Sunday Set Lists" are. Thanks so much for this Fred McKinnon. (If you want to see what I'm talking about go to http://www.fredmckinnon.com.
    While I stated that There is a Fountain" wasn't my favorite - a couple of you stated that it was. That lead me to wonder what my favorite Hymn was... and why...

This proved to be a much more daunting task for me than I realized. You see, if you grew up in the church, hymns are an important part of your faith. You heard them every week and they're ingrained in your spirit. David said in Psalm 119:11, "I have hidden Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against you." Many of our Hymns are rooted in scripture, and these songs take root in our hearts. This is a good thing...

There has been quite a struggle between "contemporary" worship and "traditional" worship over the last few years. What is amazing to me is there really is no line between the two. There is no traditional. There is no contemporary. There is just worship. How you make it yours is up to you... How you make it <span style="font-weight:bold;">His</span> is what makes it worship. It all has to be about Jesus. It all has to be about God. Anything else should be called a "sing-a-long" or a concert. That's what makes our worship important. It is about worshipping Him. Paul implores us to worship in Colossians 3:16. "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." We are called to worship and as evidenced by this passage, hymns are an important part of that worship. They not only please God, but they enrich and edify us. So what are hymns? You see, Paul distinguishes 3 different kinds of worship songs: Psalms (Praises in Hebrew - or from Greek songs sung to a harp), Hymns and Spiritual Songs (Greek : 'ode pneumatikos; meaning songs of the breath of God) Psalms and Spiritual Songs - we'll talk about later... But what about hymns?

Hymns are actually not a word that means "old church songs." Hymns are any song directed to God and/or songs proclaiming his majesty and goodness. Sounds like some of our new contemporary songs are actually hymns, doesn't it? You see, there are very blurry lines between the three of these elements of worship. But, there are some distinctions.

So, now that I've written all of that, I'd like to hear what your favorite hymn is and why? Make it short and sweet, but remember this is a taste of what you offer to God, so make it genuine.

Blessings - I'll follow up with mine in a later post on www.godpowered.blogspot.com
    Last edited by fmckinnon; 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM.

Honestly? I couldn't choose one.

It is Well
    Tis So Sweet
    Be Still My Soul
    Power in the Blood

There's so many more . . .

Comment

Hmmm... There are too many.

Take My Life and Let it Be
      Beautiful Savior
      Abide With Me

My top pick is probably Crown Him With Many Crowns. The song's been changed quite a bit through the years (added/lost verses, mixed and matched lines between verses, etc.), but I love the verse in the original text that goes:

Crown Him the Lord of Love, behold His hands and side
      Rich wounds, yet visible above in beauty glorified
      No angel in the sky can fully bear that sight,
      But downward bends his burning eye at mysteries so bright

I love that imagery.

Comment

For me..."Come Thou Fount"...both traditional or modernized.

Smitty
        Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Mine is definitely "Come Thou Fount" as well! Twila Paris version got me hooked on it years ago!

Not only is it gorgeous, but it's a prayer! I espec. love songs TO God instead of just about Him! Fav. part - "prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. Here's my heart Lord, take and seal it! Seal it for Thy courts above"
          Last edited by Robinskeys; 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM. Reason: didn't finish answering the entire question...

Comment

Yep, when I saw the thread, I immediately thought "Come Thou Fount". Other faves are "The Solid Rock", "It Is Well", "I Stand Amazed", "Amazing Grace", "O For a Thousand Tongues" ...
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Hmmm ... impssible to choose only one;

1. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
              2. Come Thou Fount
              3. Be Thou My Vision
              4. Holy, Holy, Holy

... just to name a few. There Is A Fountain is great, too. We performed it bluegrass style once and it was a hit. Recording #1 was very meaningful.

Comment

My favorites are:

"Sweet Hour of Prayer" and
                "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need"

Both of these call me back to the Lord from the worries and cares of the day. They are beautifully written, and the words are sincere and applicable to any situation. I can hardly sing these two without crying.

Comment

Keep it up...

Way to go guys... I love some of these responses.
                  I can't pick just one either - and that's OK - but there is a reason for this thread.

Hymns are the lifeline of our worship experience. The history of the church can be traced through Hymns, and some of us now are missing the experience of older Hymns altogether. We've recently seen a resurgence of Hymns with songs like "The Wonderful Cross" (And I mean recently like the last 10 years), Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) and others...

It is time for us to re-introduce these jewels of faith into our churches again. Who can't be moved by stories like Fanny Crosby's? She is the anointed author of "Blessed Assurance" and "To God Be the Glory" among hundreds of others she penned. Who wasn't moved the first time they heard the story behind "It is Well With My Soul?"

No one says you have to pick up a hymnal and lead straight out of it. There are lots of ways to reintroduce Hymns. Look at Chris Tomlin and what he's done. Listen to Third Day's "Blessed Assurance". Jadon Lavik has an excellent album that remakes hymns called Roots Run Deep. Chris Rice has two CDs that are nice: Peace Like a River and the beautiful instrumental Living Room Sessions. Jim Drake - a Worship Community friend got me a copy of this Matt Boswell jem called Vintage. Thanks Jim! And this is just the beginning....

All that to say - There are quite a few remakes of Hymns you could try... or you could just try your own... and most of them are Public Domain, so knock yourself out. Lifeway has even introduced quite a few in their Worship Project. There is a rich history of song in our church. Don't miss out on what our forefathers (and mothers :-) ) have left behind.
                  Last edited by LKMusician; 04-22-2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Forgot my favorites...

Here are my favorites...
                    ...in no particular order
                    (1) Nothing But The Blood
                    (2) Hallelujah, What a Savior
                    (3) Before The Throne of God Above... yes I know this is new, but it extols the glory of God as Hymns should and it is written like a hymn... and I LOVE it!
                    (4) Grace that is Greater than all my Sin
                    (5) O For a Thousand Tongues
                    (6) Blessed Assurance
                    (7) Come Thou Fount
                    (8) I Love to Tell the Story
                    (9) Jesus Paid it All
                    (10) Tell Me the Story of Jesus...

That's all I have right now - I could go on because there are thousands of Hymns. While I love contemporary music (Hillsong, Gateway, New Life, and Jesus Culture are all doing GREAT stuff), missing out on our church's rich history of song is a big mistake. May God be glorified in every breath.

Comment

Favorite Hymn

Easy : O Sacred Head, Now Wounded

Comment

Forgot...

Nice one. I love "O Sacred Head"
                        Should have been on my list.

Comment

too many to choose...

but among the top ones are:

Great Is Thy Faithfulness
                          O Sacred Head
                          Come Thou Fount (although the author DID wander)
                          It Is Well
                          How Great Thou Art
                          I Stand Amazed
                          My Jesus, I Love Thee (esp. Brading's version)
                          Fairest Lord Jesus
                          The Wondrous Cross

and I really could go on and on...

My problem is having a pastor who wants EVERYTHING contemporary (he plays electric guitar) and will do "hymns" as long as they are very updated - not always the easiest thing to do (for me anyway). I do force in a few from time to time though

Thanks for asking this - made me think a bit.

Comment

My favs are different:
                            Come Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy; How Deep the Father's Love for Us; And Can It Be?

I like Amy Grant's rendition of "O Sacred Head" with the rain and storm in the background.

I like when we sing older hymns. I sneak peeks and watch my kids' faces while they read and sing the unfamiliar words. I can practically see the Holy Spirit using the hymn's words and music to stir their hearts -- it's pretty awesome!

Comment

I grew up in church and hymns aren't a huge part of my experience at least not in the sense that the OP suggests.

However, my favorite hymn is probably Take My Life And Let it Be

Love that one!
                              Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Working...
                              X