Best pickups for leading with Strat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickups for leading with Strat?

Iíve been leading from acoustic for years and just switched over to electric since our previous electric player moved into the campus pastor position. Just looking for tips on what type of pickups I might get for that smooth sound in a Strat. Thanks in advance!

When you talk about "that smooth sound" there is no magic formula of 'x' pickups and 'y' pedals, etc. Guitar tone is a combination of guitar hardware, amp/pedal settings and playing technique.

These questions are hard to answer on a forum- there are so many different combinations of stuff. If you put in high-end Seymour Duncans or active EMGs then run it through crummy effects and amps, you won't have the sound you want.

Your stock pickups (if you have a Mexi strat) are probably ceramic magnet and somewhat high output. They can be a little brittle and thin sounding, but if you are using an amp modeler or amp, try to get a Fender amp/model- the standard strat seems to like the Fender models best. WHen I had a strat ,I favored the neck pickup for the clean and full sound. Don't add a bunch of distortion- a little goes a long ways. Use something more mellow than a fuzz, for example. Another cheap and popular mod for the strat is to rewire the controls to run the bridge pickup through the tone control to help roll off the high end tinny sound.

Don't forget about technique, too. If you are prone to breaking strings, it's going to be harder to get the smooth sound that requires a lighter touch.

Hope this is helpful- there are so many different combinations of stuff to get the tone you want without spending a bunch of time and money swapping pickups.
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Csavage5488 View Post
      Iíve been leading from acoustic for years and just switched over to electric since our previous electric player moved into the campus pastor position. Just looking for tips on what type of pickups I might get for that smooth sound in a Strat. Thanks in advance!

I would say stock pickups. Unless this is a very cheap Squier. In which case if you want smooth and "Stratocaster", the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro triple set or the Vintage Staggered triple set are your best bets.

If you need noise canceling, the Classic Stack set will give you noise canceling but still sound like a Stratocaster.

If you need anything heavier, let me know and I can adjust my recommendations :-)
      Last edited by radelahunt; 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X