The power of music, worship, and sacrifice in a secular world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The power of music, worship, and sacrifice in a secular world

So for some of us musicians and guitar aficionados, especially those that grew up with a love for classic rock, have likely heard this week there was a major auction at Christie's in New York. A famous rock star sold some of his guitars.

So what's the big deal about that? This collection belonged to the one and only David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

I'm sure some of you are thinking "David who?" or "oh yeah, the Dark Side of the Moon" or "Another Brick in the Wall", yeah I've heard of him.

For those of us that know who he is and the star power he has, I don't think anyone was really prepared for what happened yesterday at Christie's.

David decided he was going to auction off 200 of his guitars for charity- in this case, to fight climate change. He was auctioning off the guitars he used on all the Floyd mega hits- the Black Strat used on all the Floyd megastar albums in the '70s- The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here and Animals. It included the 12-string that he used for the Wish You Were single, the white "001 Strat" and many others. These were not just extras, but his main axes.

Estimates for this auction were expected to bring in 3-4 million, if everything went well. The Black Strat was expected to bring in around $500,000, maybe up to $700,000. Eric Clapton's "Blackie" guitar sold in the $900,000 range (the 'most expensive guitar in the world' until yesterday), so this was expected to be similar.

But, in genuine Pink Floyd style, no one could have predicted what happened yesterday.

When the dust settled, the total proceeds were $21 million. Not $2.1 million. $21 million- $21,000,000. The Black Strat, the Holy Grail of the collection, fetched $3,975,000. Almost $4M- for a chunk of wood with strings on it. No one expected, in their wildest dreams, that this auction would pull down so much.

So who cares? What's this got to do with anything? I think there are a couple insights that we could all learn.

One- Gilmour was willing to part with his worldly possessions- the tools he used to be come famous- to raise money for something he believes in. He's putting his money where his mouth is- the Gold Standard of 'put up or shut up". He is donating all that money to empower an organization and a cause he feels so strongly about.

Another- people were willing to shell out SERIOUS coin to own a piece of Pink Floyd history. People worship and idolize him and the power of his music to the point they would give anything to own a piece of it.

This made me think- why can't we put up or shut up like Gilmour did? Why can't we walk into church and say 'you know what, I care so much about the Gospel and the power of Christ that I'm selling my [enter prized possessions here] and donating it to a ministry project? Why can't we say 'You know, my kids are all off to college and there are hundreds of thousands of kids in foster care- we have room, we can take a couple." Why can't we say 'We need to build that addition for the youth group that's bursting. I can come up wit $50 a month for the building fund.

So maybe we can't make a big splash like this- but we can all have that same attitude. We can all catch that kind of fire and heart for the Gospel of Christ- to serve others- to care for the widows and orphans- to reach the lost in our own back yard. We can all step up and put our time, our money, and our talents where our faith is. If a rock star can do it, why can't God's people?
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.
Working...
X