X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike on Bass
    replied
    Originally posted by fmckinnon View Post
    ... One person can be touched to the point of tears by a song and the person next to them is bored and thinks the song is silly and repetitious. You never know.

What's a song that you didn't care about, and then through some situation, you came back and rediscovered the song and it's meaning?
    There have been a few. Kari Jobe's "The More I Seek You" is one that in my mind was the ultimate 'Jesus is my boyfriend' song. And at the time where I was at the leader was a woman, and she liked this song. A lot.

"I wanna sit at your feet
    Drink from the cup in your hand.
    Lay back against you and breathe, feel your heart beat
    This love is so deep, it's more than I can stand.
    I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming"

I just could't get into it. I always pictured this couple snuggling on the couch under a big blanket feeding each other grapes. Being a guy and all, I couldn't get into that imagery of me and God. It took me awhile to get past the visual imagery and focus on the main point. It was one of those where the women were more into it than the men were.

A more recent one is "Your Love is Fierce". I really like everything about the song except the chorus. I just can't get on board with the visual imagery of God's love associated with things like hurricanes and tidal waves that cause death, destruction, carnage and pain for real people. I get the point they were going for, but I think they used the wrong associations. I just can't help but think that someone who is trying to associate the magnitude of God's love to a hurricane they can't escape couldn't possibly have ever been trapped by a hurricane they couldn't escape. I doubt this person hunkered down for dear life trying to keep from being blown away and/or drowning, watching their house being peeled apart, their neighborhood disappearing under water, then being trapped for a week with no fresh water/food, no sanitation and going "huh- this must be what God's love is like." Now I've never been through a hurricane, but have been through a couple tornadoes that scared me half to death and caused substantial property damage. My parents lost friends in the Palm Sunday tornadoes of 1965- including young children. My wife's grandma lost everything in Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I don't think God's love is like a tornado, tidal wave, hurricane, forest fire. earthquake or any other natural destructive force.

That being said, the rest of the song, I like. I can pray that. I an sing that. I've learned to overlook the wording of the chorus for the main point.

Leave a comment:

• JeffHendricks
    replied
    There's a few that I didn't like at first, that later on became important to me. "Holy Spirit (You are Welcome Here)" and "What a Wonderful Name" are the first that come to mind.

There's probably just as many that I initially liked, that now I just don't want to sing any more.

Leave a comment:

• Do It Again by Elevation Worship - A Song I Didn't Care For - But Now Love

In many years of leading worship in churches, I eventually learned that songs impact people in different ways. One person can be touched to the point of tears by a song and the person next to them is bored and thinks the song is silly and repetitious. You never know.

This song, "Do It Again" by Elevation Worship has been a top song for a while now. It never moved me. I never got it. Then, I entered this difficult season of transition. And the very song that I really didn't care anything about became an anthem for me. A prayer. A declaration.

I never led this song in the past, never even directed it with another leader, but I'll be guest-leading it for the first time this Sunday. (in a much lower key, I might add).

What's a song that you didn't care about, and then through some situation, you came back and rediscovered the song and it's meaning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOBIPb-6PTc
Working...
X