!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theologically correct and rich CCW music? God-centered worship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theologically correct and rich CCW music? God-centered worship?

Colossians 1:15-23 – He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

**Disclaimer** Some might think that I'm condemning a group of people, but my focus here is simply to align myself and the church I serve with the following passage... "that in everything HE might be preeminent".

In the modern world of CCW, I've noticed a handful themes that worry me deeply:
    1) The over emphasis of self relevance.
    2) The lack of biblical reference.
    3) The lack of theology accuracy.
    4) A plethora of romantic language towards our Lord and Savior.
    5) A focus on experience rather than knowledge.

And don't get me wrong, I love a handful of CCW songs, but those songs are generally lacking in self-admonishment. Some of my favorites would be; "In the Shadow of the Glorious Cross", "Man of Sorrows" (but I change "that my Jesus spilled" to "that Christ Jesus spilled"), and "In Christ Alone". And the Shane & Shane "Psalms" albums are obviously wonderful. However, the large majority of CCW music is rife with talks of floods and fire, wanting more of Him and His presence.

Much of the songs are from really bad churches, I.E. Bethel, IHOP (Rend-Collective) and Hillsong. These churches are preaching a different message than scripture. Focus on the experience rather than the knowledge of God thru His Word. In doing, betraying truth in favor of the new word (of men), "glorious" manifestations (gold dust), and out of body experiences. The theology that fuels these group is closer at times to eastern religions and mysticisms.

Anyways, I'm having a difficult time cycling thru the masses of songs, and then finding biblically-sound, theologically-accurate, God-honoring music. I want these bad influences as far away from the flock as possible.

As for the style of the music, I see nothing wrong with artistry used correctly. Those ethereal sounds are wonderful, but the words that seem to accompany the music aren't as thought out.

Do you have any examples of these biblically-sound, theologically-accurate, God-honoring songs? I'd dearly appreciate your help.
    Last edited by For the Glory of His Name; 05-05-2017, 11:16 AM.

Since your change in lyrics, your removal of "my Jesus" in the song Man of Sorrows, I assume you also removed the hymn "My Jesus, I love Thee" written in 1864 from your hymnals. If not, you probably need to get your scissors out.

Comment

You can look on past threads for discussions on this topic to get some song ideas that may fit better to what you are looking for
      If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

The new music is never as good as the old music.

Nate
        Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Personally, I agree with you in many, many ways, even though we may be of different denominations (and thus, disagree vehemently as to what constitutes theologically robust lyrics).

The CCW producers will also say this is why they have moved away from strong lyrics; so to reach a larger demographic (and leave the theology to the sermons).

And since the music industry has collapsed since the dawn of digital, CCM is a shadow of what it once was. What's going on is:

[Handful of MEGA-Church Songwriters] => [CCM artists covers] => [Radio Airplay Gatekeepers] => [Worship Leaders Purchase Music, Trax, and Rights] => [Congregants Purchase Songs, Concert tickets].

So because of this, especially since the P&W scene is largely controlled by Radio airplay gatekeepers (appealing to "Becky"--a fictional 30-something soccermom), they are focusing on songs that walk that tight line between touching someone emotionally, not cerebrally. Also, every doctrinal point hammered down in a song is largely going to be protested by denominations that do not share that belief, so doctrine is kept at a minimum.

BECAUSE OF THIS.... your best bet is to do the following:
          1. In regards to a particular doctrine, scriptural verse, or specific word, use CCLI's songsearch to come up with a list of songs.
          2. Sort by newest.
          3. Dig into each entry, seeing if such a song cover exists on YouTube, soundcloud, or even myspace.
          4. Continue until you find the songs you most like, and are appropriate for your service.

I wish I could be more helpful, but that's the sorry state of the worship industry as of now.
          Nick Alexander
          Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
          Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
          Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by NickAlexander View Post
            (and leave the theology to the sermons).
            Which, in many cases, is also watered down to reach a broader audience...

If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

How about Hillsongs' "I Believe (The Creed)". It doesn't get more powerful, or straight forward than that, and you would have a hard time debating the theology of the song!

Comment

Working...
              X