X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregrjones
    replied
    Originally posted by WorshipVanguard View Post
    What does it say to the people sitting in the seats that gave up "mainstream" music because God moved their hearts to seek music that honors HIM alone? I've met many of them, and they still struggle with the whole mainstream/worship music tension. So, I'm wondering how much the church is helping them with this tension.
    I think Melanie is asking some great questions asked here. I'd like to take a stab at them:

What does it say to the people sitting in the seats that gave up "mainstream" music?

It says loving and serving God isn't about whether or not you listen to something simply because it does not have a Christian label on it. After all, Happy Birthday is a mainstream secular song. Using secular music in church can say to a Christian that their integrity before God doesn't have anything to do with man-made rules. God isn't interested in whether or not a song is secular or sacred as much as He's interested in us devoting our hearts and minds to Him.

It says that the lines we draw between secular and sacred have to do with how we direct our hearts and minds (actions follow from their) not simply what is in our MP3 players.

If a song (or a book, movie, t.v. show, web site, job, billboard, habit, practice, etc.) diverts our hearts and minds from Him, then we should refrain. But if something does NOT provide such an obstacle, then we are free. I'm free to listen to Daugherty sing "Home" because while it isn't a Christian song, it doesn't have one lyric in it that would cause your average Christian to stumble.

Socrates said that an unexamined life was not worth living. If we Christians don't teach each other how to examine our thoughts and behaviors and ask the important questions, then we're simply left with "do this because it has a Christian label on it and don't do this because it doesn't". Isn't that legalism?

Matthew 15:7-9
    Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you. These people
    honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me. They worship me
    in vain, their teachings are but rules taught by men.

And finally, I'll say that I think we should remove the obstacles that keep people from Christ. If people reject Christ because they want to be "lord of their lives" and want to continue engaging in selfishness, envies, drunkeness, sexual immoralities and the rest of the things listed under the works of the flesh in Galatians 5, then that's one thing, but what does it say to the church if people are rejecting Christ because we have given them the impression that following Him requires never listening to ANY secular song, even those with the most innocuous of lyrics?

I was raised in a church that told men that they couldn't have hair below their shoulders, women couldn't wear pants, all rated R movies were sinful (some probably shouldn't be watched by Christ-followers), and that it was a sin to mow your grass on Sundays.

Should such man-made rules be obstacles for people to follow Christ? How is a ban on ALL secular music any different?

I say that as long as the lyrics aren't a problem, that we as a church should use secular music and therefore send the message to people that God's truth can be found even beyond Sunday mornings and the church walls we have built up around our religious lives.

But I've been wrong before... :-)

Respectfully

Leave a comment:

• Moosicman
    replied
    Originally posted by fmckinnon View Post
    Here's my profound, deep thoughts on this often-discussed subject:

Prayerfully consider what the Holy Spirit is leading you to to do in your congregation, and be intentional. If there's any question to your purpose and motives, a little explanation, teaching, and setup goes a very long way to your congregation.

That's all.
    SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEEEE!

BTW, I'm an NHL fan.

Leave a comment:

• fmckinnon
    replied
    Here's my profound, deep thoughts on this often-discussed subject:

Prayerfully consider what the Holy Spirit is leading you to to do in your congregation, and be intentional. If there's any question to your purpose and motives, a little explanation, teaching, and setup goes a very long way to your congregation.

That's all.

Leave a comment:

• JenniferLassiter
    replied
    Not only am I late to this party, but I have been having the same thoughts and struggles! I guess we all go through it. I work double duty as music director/worship leader and youth/college director/leader, (I have internal issues with titles, can you tell?). In October, we had a member of the Youth group pass away from a long time illness, and I was told by his family to work with the young people of the church to select his favorite songs for the service. Talk about combining all sectors and callings. As we selected songs and they made suggestions, it was apparent to me that Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace" had as much of a 'God-Changin-My-Life' affect on them as Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying". They selected wonderful music from both Christian, Country, and Pop genres. I have never felt the Lord's spirit more at a celebration of life than at that service.

It occurred to me that these young people never once focused on "is this main stream or officially Christian music". They focused on songs that stirred their hearts and caused them to feel closer to God. Since then, they have told me that when riding down the road and they hear Phillip Phillips "Home" they think of heaven now and of their friends that have already gone there to live with Jesus eternally. They taught me a lesson. To quit worrying about what billboard chart the song came off of, and be open to hear the music God is sending us for each amazing moment we have on this Earth. When we all get to heaven, the worship songs we sing will be incomparable to what we are singing now!

(All that being said, our pastor doesn't always agree with my selections, but we pray for each other constantly and trust that what we are bringing is truly sent from God.)

Leave a comment:

• jackb7
    replied
    one of the most "powerful" moments I ever experienced was at Judah Conference one night when Clint Brown did Huey Lewis' The Power of Love. It had an amazing effect. I say, choose your spots wisely and a little goes a long way.

Leave a comment:

• davoandles
    replied
    "Nails in my hands from my creator, you gave me life now teach me how to live" audio slave.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's really up to you brother, if you feel led by God to do this and it's in your Churches DNA. Then go for it. Each one of us has a different context and trying to pull what you are saying into ours... we give you different answered based on our reality.

God gives us the power to discern and if the leadership is on board and you have peace, go for it.

Leave a comment:

• Mike on Bass
    replied
    Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
    and that, folks, is the definition of a troll. I am thankful for THIS forum and for the mods who don't allow too much of this kind of nonsense to take place here.

Nate
    True that....

Leave a comment:

• Moosicman
    replied
    Nevermind....
    Last edited by Moosicman; 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milepost13
    replied
    and that, folks, is the definition of a troll. I am thankful for THIS forum and for the mods who don't allow too much of this kind of nonsense to take place here.

Nate

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Moosicman View Post
    Not wanting to sound like a jerk either, which is the reason I've not posted further on this thread until now; and that not out of anger or frustration but as I've said previously, I try to refrain these days from "fixing the internet" (or the folks on it). So hear this with a tone of love and loyal opposition, rather than with a tone of bitterness:

Respectfully, to you David (and others), our ministry decisions were not soliciting your approval or permission - they only need God's and are confident of His. You are far away from our context in ministry and to suppose broad generalities about what is appropriate for us to preach the gospel to the lost is at best, naive. In fact, it steps more closely to the line of sinful judgement than that which you may be tempted to think we are doing by using music to worship God ("Christian/secular" tags in relation to the word "music" in this sentence is purposefully and pointedly removed and this not due to watering down or blunting of Christianity, the gospel of Christ crucified, His message of sin, repenting, sanctification, and on and on).

Music is not inherently sacred or secular unless our mentality would be to step back into the Dark Ages where dissonance, tri-tones, and the like were considered evil and sinful. Fortunately, we've realized that was a very immature mentality and have grown beyond that - or have we? In the same way money is not sinful, yet is used by the evil AND the righteous alike - and both to worship their gods and our God - music is not evil.

That is not to say that I wouldn't amend the words of "All You Need Is Love" (should they even need amending) in order to use it within a worship service in some capacity (an offering or special as opposed to a "worship" song is what I mean by capacity). After reading those lyrics, it puts me in mind of Matt Maher's song "Hold Us Together". Christians don't bat an eye at using this song but it mentions God the same amount as does Lennon's tune: ZERO.

Some may find evil due to it's source. Well, I'll leave it up to the reader to make that case for the place you are ministering. I would caution others to do the same - you've no idea what God may use to reach the lost - He and His love are big enough to draw a straight line with a crooked stick - and He does so regularly with every one who is reading this who stands on a platform in front of a body of faith to preach the gospel through music, word, and liturgy (unless your righteousness somehow became more than filthy rags). He isn't going to fit into a "sacred/secular" box. He is sovereign over the saints AND sinners, the angels AND demons, and they move according to His purposes. And He will use it all to bring the sinner to relationship with Him and to bring Himself glory.

Very Respectfully....
    Haha your "Very Repectfully" doesn't cut it here does it?
    You couldn't have sounded more condescending?
    But I see your game plan on this forum, Using words like "Dark Ages", "sin", Immature" is this the way you counteract people points of view.

I dont think I used any harsh words that attacked the character of anyone who posted on this thread

I don't get this kind of disregard on the secular guitar forums I belong to.

I was hoping for some good fellowship and meaty discussions

anyway will try another Forum

Ta
    Last edited by David Breeds; 11-05-2012, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Moosicman
    replied
    It is VERY hard. I hope I passed...LOL

Leave a comment:

• milepost13
    replied
    Do you know how hard it is to be a correct jerk?

Nate

Leave a comment:

• Moosicman
    replied
    Nevermind....
    Last edited by Moosicman; 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
    Don't want to sound like a jerk, but, yes, you are missing the point. The OP asked for song suggestions, not for a theological debate.

Nate
    You did use the word "jerk' and not me, but the OP did leave the thread quite open in the opening post and have a look at the title of the thread "mainstream" songs in Worship?

There is a question mark at the end of the title, surely this is the invitation for me to possibly question 'mainstream" songs in Worship. Which I do!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X