Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fmckinnon View Post
    Here's my profound, deep thoughts on this often-discussed subject:

Prayerfully consider what the Holy Spirit is leading you to to do in your congregation, and be intentional. If there's any question to your purpose and motives, a little explanation, teaching, and setup goes a very long way to your congregation.

That's all.
    SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEEEE!

BTW, I'm an NHL fan.

Comment

Originally posted by WorshipVanguard View Post
      What does it say to the people sitting in the seats that gave up "mainstream" music because God moved their hearts to seek music that honors HIM alone? I've met many of them, and they still struggle with the whole mainstream/worship music tension. So, I'm wondering how much the church is helping them with this tension.
      I think Melanie is asking some great questions asked here. I'd like to take a stab at them:

What does it say to the people sitting in the seats that gave up "mainstream" music?

It says loving and serving God isn't about whether or not you listen to something simply because it does not have a Christian label on it. After all, Happy Birthday is a mainstream secular song. Using secular music in church can say to a Christian that their integrity before God doesn't have anything to do with man-made rules. God isn't interested in whether or not a song is secular or sacred as much as He's interested in us devoting our hearts and minds to Him.

It says that the lines we draw between secular and sacred have to do with how we direct our hearts and minds (actions follow from their) not simply what is in our MP3 players.

If a song (or a book, movie, t.v. show, web site, job, billboard, habit, practice, etc.) diverts our hearts and minds from Him, then we should refrain. But if something does NOT provide such an obstacle, then we are free. I'm free to listen to Daugherty sing "Home" because while it isn't a Christian song, it doesn't have one lyric in it that would cause your average Christian to stumble.

Socrates said that an unexamined life was not worth living. If we Christians don't teach each other how to examine our thoughts and behaviors and ask the important questions, then we're simply left with "do this because it has a Christian label on it and don't do this because it doesn't". Isn't that legalism?

Matthew 15:7-9
      Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you. These people
      honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me. They worship me
      in vain, their teachings are but rules taught by men.

And finally, I'll say that I think we should remove the obstacles that keep people from Christ. If people reject Christ because they want to be "lord of their lives" and want to continue engaging in selfishness, envies, drunkeness, sexual immoralities and the rest of the things listed under the works of the flesh in Galatians 5, then that's one thing, but what does it say to the church if people are rejecting Christ because we have given them the impression that following Him requires never listening to ANY secular song, even those with the most innocuous of lyrics?

I was raised in a church that told men that they couldn't have hair below their shoulders, women couldn't wear pants, all rated R movies were sinful (some probably shouldn't be watched by Christ-followers), and that it was a sin to mow your grass on Sundays.

Should such man-made rules be obstacles for people to follow Christ? How is a ban on ALL secular music any different?

I say that as long as the lyrics aren't a problem, that we as a church should use secular music and therefore send the message to people that God's truth can be found even beyond Sunday mornings and the church walls we have built up around our religious lives.

But I've been wrong before... :-)

Respectfully

Comment

Working...
      X