Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up to talk about new worship?

Hey all.

I'm new to Worship Community and was just wondering if there's anyone wanting to talk about the new worship coming out. I've really been digging Bethel Live's newer stuff, Awakening: Live in Chicago from Jesus Culture, and 10,000 Reasons from Matt Redman. Any other newer releases I should be aware of from the past year or so?

You've just hit my top 2 fav's and now listening to White Flag - it is a total must! All the new music, I believe, we're witnessing a full-on paradigm shift of total focal-surrender! Trying to cover all aspects of God is great but really zero-ing in on what we were created to do: worship Him and His greatness.... no I need you, no I'm a sinner - He already knows that information. It calls us into a more intimate worship OF Him...TO Him... FOR Him :-)

Comment

Amen! So true. We are seeing a shift in what worship really is! And I believe for this next generation worship is gonna look nothing like it did 20 or even 15 years ago. It's already starting to change and to be quite honest I'm loving every minute of it! Will look up White Flag. I heard it's out but just haven't gotten around to listening to it.

P.S. I'm a sucker for anything by Delirious?

Comment

I find this thread a little confusing. Are you talking about worship or about worship music? They are not one and the same thing. Worship music is constantly changing, but worshipping God must be done to God's standards, and God is unchanging.
        Tom

Comment

The thread might be confusing, but it could be a great opportunity to get some perspective from other people.

So tell us what you like about it and what you see as the change and why it needs to change- I am interested in what it looks like through your eyes.

So when you say "focal surrender", what does that mean to you?

Tom makes a good point- we've called the music part of it 'worship' and leave off the 'music', but music is a subset of what 'worship' really involves.

Is there room for the music to change? Sure- God doesn't change, but He does move forward. So if you see this as 'moving forward', what makes it 'forward'?
          If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe a Worshiper View Post
            I find this thread a little confusing. Are you talking about worship or about worship music? They are not one and the same thing. Worship music is constantly changing, but worshipping God must be done to God's standards, and God is unchanging.
            Tom
            I think the OP is very clear in that they intended new music that can be used for worship and what new songs others are liking to bring into worship. I'm not sure about the direction it went, though it doesn't mean it isn't something to discuss.
            Lov'n Jesus

Comment

Well as far as some good new worship music I think that everyone should check out William McDowell's "Arise" Album. He really taps in to prophetic worship on that project.

Now as far as how worship music is changing, I'd have to say that we should distinguish our personal worship experience with God from what a coorporate worship experience is intended to be. God is definitely drawing His people closer to him and it's to the intent that His people would worship Him with one voice and with one sound, just as they did oftenly in the Bible. I know that we can only imagine what that sound is like, but I'm assured in my heart that it is a glorious sound. One that the whole creation is groaning to hear. And I believe that it is this sound that will usher the King himself into the earth.

Comment

Yeah sorry if this is a confusing thread to anyone. I love Jesus and I love music, as God created I'm sure he loves to hear it especially when it's used to glorify Him. Anyway, sorry if this thread caused any arguement. That was never the intention.

On a side note, if any of you are on facebook feel free to check out my facebook music page which has some of my original worhip music on it. Here's the link:

Facebook.com/jonasjungmusic

Hope it brings you closer to the Father's heart. The most recent stuff is from last year and my writing style and influences have changed quite a bit since I started. That being said I'm hoping to be able to record some of my newer stuff soon.

Comment

check this new band out. apparently they have a full length album coming this july. Im digging it.

http://www.facebook.com/openheavenmusic

Comment

Can someone tell me more about Bethel? I see their name coming up more and more, however they are under my radar. They are not played on K-love (no, I don't limit myself to K-love for finding worship music), nor do I hear them on my current favorite worship station (check out www.modernpraise.com 's stream).

Regarding trends, musically speaking, I don't see much wiggle room for innovation with 'white worship music' unless it goes more 'black' (Israel Houghton, Tye Tribbett & GA). I say this because the latter allows for the greater incorporation of syncopated rhythm and jazzier chord voicings. The two artists that I named are incorporating rock elements from 'white' music to blend a more multi-ethnic mix that is relatively new and more innovative.

But it seems that if you're not leaning Urban Gospel (I hate to speak simply in terms of 'white' & 'black' and risk polarization), we're left with the confines that come with the expectations of congregations and Pastors that for the music to be singable, it has to be simple. But if I hear another I V vi IV song or it's variation I IV vi V song, I'm going to go crazy. For those who don't know what I'm talking about when I start speaking the number system, you probably don't see the simplicity and predictability of modern worship music as easy as those of us who are number system aware.

The bottom line is that I'd like to see modern worship music be more innovative, perhaps by combining styles and displaying more virtuosity. Lincoln Brewster is doing the latter. I'd like to see some more of this with better songwriting than Brewster's, and branch the virtuosity out with vocals and other displays of great musicianship on other instruments.

Examples of combining different styles might be mixing rock with reggae, jazz (Urban Gospel is already doing this), rap, classical, metal or even country. However, it seems that congregational worship music is limited in going these routes because of the great risk of endangering singability.

Another great risk is that people get distracted by musical virtuosity and creative innovation. I have a different perspective than what is commonly believed on this front. I believe that Psalm 33:3 doesn't have a disclaimer warning us against playing skilfully if it is misunderstood as being a performance. True worship IS a performance. The question is WHO is the audience?

I believe we should craft worship music that challenges the congregation with this question even at the risk of being misunderstood. This is the way of Christ. He constantly expressed things with enough ambiguity to risk being misunderstood. He 'painted with the colors of ambiguity', much like an artist paints with oils, risking being misunderstood so that he could reach people who were hungry to go deeper. Those who did go deeper, always got beyond the surface to the real meat. Exhibit A is when Christ told his followers that unless they 'ate of his flesh and drank of his blood' they could not become his disciples.

I see this principle as being one that frees worship leaders to risk being misunderstood by anyone in a congregation that refuses to go deeper and only see innovation, virtuosity and creativity as being entertainment or self-serving 'ear-tickling' performances. Only when one goes deeper (assuming the worship leader, vocalists and musicians have a humble heart), will they see the audience of one that is the only object of what can truly be called 'performance' with no other disclaimers.

Just my opinion, but I'd like to hear other thoughts....

Comment

Hey greg click here and it'll start an hour or so of Bethel music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6J...-qVwEawKUE61mf
                      I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Bethel Music is good stuff, Although not all the songs can be used in a worship setting.

Brian Johnson's solo effort 'Love Came Down" is a brilliant effort and more in the direction I am going in. Stripped down songs, with fewer verses, so that people can enter into worship without having to think about words.

I don't understand all this talk about trends in Worship, marrying Reggae with Rock etc. I think the most important aspect of worship for us is leading people to worship all of Him with all of ourselves.

The most important thing is that people connect with God. It doesn't matter what the style of music is.

I think God is leading me to write simple songs that allow people to enter His presence easily . I have seen at many churches how a lot of people are just reading the words, not just the congregation but the worship teams as well.

I am always wondering, are they worshiping or are they worried if they will get the harmony vocal right, or is it time to hit my OD pedal.

I am not slagging well rehearsed big Worship teams but I see a lot of people not really entering into worship because of distractions.

Maybe there is a difference between entering in to God's presence through worship and a lot of the Worship music we listen too.

Obviously driving in your car, it's great to have complex worship songs with huge arrangements and lots of verses playing on you stereo, but you wont necessary enter into His presence while driving as you might just skip the stop street or have an accident

Just laying my thoughts down, not to offend but to see if there are any of you out there on my page or am I missing the boat?
                        Last edited by David Breeds; 11-01-2012, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Breeds View Post

I don't understand all this talk about trends in Worship, marrying Reggae with Rock etc. I think the most important aspect of worship for us is leading people to worship all of Him with all of ourselves.

The most important thing is that people connect with God. It doesn't matter what the style of music is.
                          Try doing Bluegrass, Southern Gospel, Heavy Metal or Rap styles to worship music and you might think twice about the importance of style. Different styles tap into different personality types. There is a reason that God's son took on flesh and not feathers or reptilian skin.

Obviously driving in your car, it's great to have complex worship songs with huge arrangements and lots of verses playing on you stereo, but you wont necessary enter into His presence while driving as you might just skip the stop street or have an accident

Just laying my thoughts down, not to offend but to see if there are any of you out there on my page or am I missing the boat?
                          I appreciate a well written simple song but for me, especially as a musician and knowing the hard work that goes into a well-arranged, more complex piece, that complexity testifies of more work and effort going into the music on the part of the worship team, better demonstrating giving 'first fruits' vs hacking. No, not anyone can write a great simple song and that is where simplicity is deceptive, but more praise bands can play them so I appreciate the effort that goes into the latter and find the former kind of boring.

I'm not making a judgement on one over the other though. I affirm your calling to write & play simple worship music and am convinced that the church needs both. I just think we should make sure to open our eyes and see the strengths and weaknesses of both approaches.

Comment

Hi Greg

I think we are on different pages.

Your whole response is based on me and I etc. I was coming from the other angle of entering into God's presence and what does God want from us.

I dont think it's fair to make a statement that because of the complexity of a song that this will determine if it's first fruits vs hacking. First Fruits is a heart issue not a master of your instrument or how much time goes into writing complex worship songs.

Are you suggesting that Joe Worshipper will enter into God's presence more easily with a complex piece of music? I beg to differ, Joe will enter more easily into God's presence if me the Worship Leader is worshipping God!

As I stated I have seen plenty "Complex" Worship Teams that are far from God's presence during a meeting, on the other hand I have seen mediocre Worship Teams that are so anointed that the presence of God is tangible.

Don't get me wrong I have witnessed it the other way round as well. My point being - it's all in your heart!

The reason for the simple stuff is that I have witnessed (In my realm of influence) that a lot more people are responding more to songs with one verse and one chorus, a lot easier to grasp and enter in.

And I am a musician as well, I prefer playing complex pieces,( I would rather use an alternate tuning DADF#BD and do some percussive tapping pieces) But I am not coming from "My" angle, but rather of leading people into God's presence.

I am also not saying, let's do away with Complex Praise and Worship.

I was just asking if some felt the same way as I do.

Comment

David, you may want to reread my post, especially the second paragraph.

I meant no offense.

Hi Greg
                              ink we are on different pages.

Your whole response is based on me and I etc. I was coming from the other angle of entering into God's presence and what does God want from us.

I dont think it's fair to make a statement that because of the complexity of a song that this will determine if it's first fruits vs hacking. First Fruits is a heart issue not a master of your instrument or how much time goes into writing complex worship songs.

Are you suggesting that Joe Worshipper will enter into God's presence more easily with a complex piece of music? I beg to differ, Joe will enter more easily into God's presence if me the Worship Leader is worshipping God!

As I stated I have seen plenty "Complex" Worship Teams that are far from God's presence during a meeting, on the other hand I have seen mediocre Worship Teams that are so anointed that the presence of God is tangible.

Don't get me wrong I have witnessed it the other way round as well. My point being - it's all in your heart!

The reason for the simple stuff is that I have witnessed (In my realm of influence) that a lot more people are responding more to songs with one verse and one chorus, a lot easier to grasp and enter in.

And I am a musician as well, I prefer playing complex pieces,( I would rather use an alternate tuning DADF#BD and do some percussive tapping pieces) But I am not coming from "My" angle, but rather of leading people into God's presence.

I am also not saying, let's do away with Complex Praise and Worship.

I was just asking if some felt the same way as I do.

Comment

Working...
                              X