Worship Mashups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worship Mashups

I thought I'd start a thread (similar to Russ's Reintroducing 90's "Modern Worship" thread) to discuss any musical mashups that you've used (or have dreamed of using) in worship.

Don't know what a "mashup" is? Read this. I thought it'd be fun to hear about some of the creative ways you're fusing multiple songs together to bring some freshness to your worship sets.

Any takers?

I'm currently working with one of my drummers on a mashup of U2's "Beautiful Day" and Fee's "All Because Of Jesus" to use on Sunday mornings. Would especially love to hear if anyone has mashed "Viva La Vida" with any church music.

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread (similar to Russ's Reintroducing 90's "Modern Worship" thread) to discuss any musical mashups that you've used (or have dreamed of using) in worship.

Don't know what a "mashup" is? Read this. I thought it'd be fun to hear about some of the creative ways you're fusing multiple songs together to bring some freshness to your worship sets.

Any takers?
    If you mean playing the riff of one song and having it be the lyrics of another song, I only have one of those: Jars of Clay's "Flood" can be mashed easily with The Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)".

Lift me up / Sweet Dreams are Made of this
    Lift me up / Who am I to disagree?
    Lift me up / I travel the world and the seven seas
    Lift me up / Everybody's lookin' for somethin'...

If you mean mixing two songs together, making a new song, as I shared in one of the other threads, I mix the first chorus of "How He Loves" with the chorus of "Cry Out To Jesus". (I've actually got a million of 'em. Another recent entry: Desperation Band's "Ready Now" with "Where You Go I Go").

If you mean taking the melody of a secular song, and making new lyrics, well, that's just dumb. Who in their right mind would do that?!?!?

Nick
    http://www.nickalexander.com/home
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

Haha, nice Nick!

We recently mashed up Crazy Train and One Way. Inspired by Soul Survivor's 2008 live version with Tim Hughes and 29th Chapter. Well, I guess technically THEY mashed it up and we performed it in like manner.

But our people (definitely a diverse and soulful + rock crowd) ate it up.
      Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Yes, Nick, to all three.

Russ's Crazy Train video is a good listen.

Nate
        Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

We do "Victory Chant" with the Bo Diddley beat.

For a video played at a worship night last year, we did a spoof where we played "Ancient of Days" to the tune of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." It was a joke, but people liked it!

Video on the bottom of this page

Comment

Or a highly funked up "I will worship", with a little Doors ("stronger than dirt") thrown in.

Smitty
            Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
              Would especially love to hear if anyone has mashed "Viva La Vida" with any church music.

Nate
              "Blessed Be Your Name" fits perfectly over "Viva La Vida"...it's an older song that we haven't done in a few years, but it sounds too good to ignore. I'm messing around with it in GarageBand right now...I'll post something if it sounds good.

Nate
              Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

I've combined Newsboys' "Strong Tower" with Kutless' "Strong Tower." It works, and the combination of the two make the whole better than the parts.

Also, "Let the Worshippers Arise" and "The Stand" are practically the same song, in terms of chord progression, and they compliment each other nicely in terms of themes. (The verses for LtWA are exactly the same as the chorus for tS, which means you can sneak the chorus in there, and nobody will bat an eye).

Nick
                http://www.nickalexander.com/home
                Nick Alexander
                Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
                Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
                Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

Back in January we did a mashup/medley of "Arms of Love" and "The Stand" beginning and ending with "Arms of Love." It was actually pretty cool...

Comment

Here's my attempt at a "Viva La Vida"/"Blessed Be Your Name" mashup...

Nate
                    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Nice job, Nate! I LIKE that!

Smitty
                      Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
                        We do "Victory Chant" with the Bo Diddley beat.
                        Whoa, great idea! We used to do Victory Chant a few years ago, but never to a Bo Diddley beat. I will have to tell our WL about that.

Lou

Comment

Nate,

Our WL likes to do that quite often. We just recently did Jesus, Lover of My Soul with a bridge composed of the lyrics from the first verse of Amazing Grace but a different chord progression. Another one we did was Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus with a chorus written by our WL. It sounded amazing.

Lou

Comment

I wonder if "You Never Let Go" could mash with any Prince songs, like "lets go crazy" or "kiss"? Anything would help YNLG...

Comment

There's a great song on the new Fee album Hope Rising called "Arms That Hold the Universe." It's a song about taking comfort in God's strength. Anyway, the second verse is the third verse of "Amazing Grace" with the person changed (...His grace has brought you safe this far, and His grace will lead you home...) Really cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X